The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default “They said they wanted to send me the mixes, and I said, ‘don’t worry about it.'"

http://kyxy.cbslocal.com/2012/12/20/...h-norah-jones/

Lindsey Buckingham On His ‘Collaboration’ with Norah Jones
December 20, 2012 1:58 PM

Gerardo Mora/Getty Images

Fleetwood Mack, Judd Apatow, Linsdey Buckingham, Norah Jones, This Is 40

Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac have been in the news lately, since announcing their upcoming 2013 tour. But Buckingham also has a pair of new songsout on the soundtrack to Judd Apatow’s latest film, This Is 40, in addition to a new solo live album,

One of the This Is 40 songs, “Brother And Sister,” is billed to Buckingham “featuring Norah Jones,” but the guitarist is quick to note that she wasn’t actually involved in the song’s creation.

“She’s not really a collaborator,” Buckingham tells CBS Local. “A lot of that wasn’t even something I was there for. I went in and I put the song together in the studio with Jon Brion, who produced the soundtrack. By the way, I have a lot of new-found respect for people who do this, it isn’t an easy task putting a set of original songs together for a movie.”

Jones was working on her own song for the film, “Always Judging,” and Brion recorded her doing some backing vocals for “Brother And Sister.” But Buckingham notes, “I wasn’t there when she did what she did on the song. I hadn’t even heard the final mixes yet.”

While Buckingham is known to have a strong hand in the studio on both Fleetwood Mac and his solo records, he was more laid-back in this situation. “They said they wanted to send me the mixes, and I said, ‘don’t worry about it. I’m sure they’re great,’ and I left it like that.’”

Buckingham explains that his work on This Is 40 came about because he’s been friendly with Apatow for a while. “He asked if I had any stuff that he could use in a movie,” Buckingham says. “I always have rough ideas sitting around, so I said yeah. I went to his house. He had a list of ideas for subject matters for songs, things that would be useful within the context of the movie. ‘Brother And Sister,’ was actually something that was on his list. These two characters (Paul Rudd’s “Pete” and Leslie Mann’s “Debbie,” as first portrayed in Knocked Up) are living at a pivotal point in their marriage, where much of the initial romance has fallen away and they’re living as brother and sister.”

Buckingham’s other new song for the This Is 40 soundtrack is titled “Sick Of You” and appears alongside tracks from Graham Parker (who appears in the film), Paul McCartney and Paul Simon. The soundtrack is in stores now, and the film opens December 21st.

– Brian Ives, CBS Local

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
These two characters (Paul Rudd’s “Pete” and Leslie Mann’s “Debbie,” as first portrayed in Knocked Up) are living at a pivotal point in their marriage, where much of the initial romance has fallen away and they’re living as brother and sister.”
This is an interesting interpretation of the song for me. I like it.

I had to laugh when Lindsey said he always has rough ideas lying around because it reminded me of Nancy's post. Like "ok, give me a couple of hours and I'll shoot you an MP3."

Michele
Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
This is an interesting interpretation of the song for me. I like it.

I had to laugh when Lindsey said he always has rough ideas lying around because it reminded me of Nancy's post. Like "ok, give me a couple of hours and I'll shoot you an MP3."

Michele
yeah, apparently that's pretty obvious from the movie. Judd Apatow and Leslie Mann were on the View the other day, and one of the hosts asked them something about the premise of the married couple becoming like brother and sister after years of marriage.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hadn't planned on seeing this movie. I don't know why. I did see Knocked Up and I thought it was ok, so I'm not sure why I thought of this movie as a snoozer. One problem I had was that their talk in the trailer sounded like dialogue I'd already heard in Knocked Up. I was positive they'd had that exact same conversation before.

Maybe I'll give it a try and I'll listen out for The Man.

Michele
Old 12-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought that might have been the context for B&S but I think it's weird that he didn't even care if they sent him the final mixes. I thought he'd at least want to to hear them when they were finished! I know I'd be at least curious what someone had done with one of my songs while I wasn't involved.

Well, I like the songs so I guess I shouldn't complain too much!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I thought that might have been the context for B&S but I think it's weird that he didn't even care if they sent him the final mixes. I thought he'd at least want to to hear them when they were finished! I know I'd be at least curious what someone had done with one of my songs while I wasn't involved.

Well, I like the songs so I guess I shouldn't complain too much!
guess he must enjoy bouncing between extremes these days?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Too bad about Norah Jones. I don't really follow her, but I do like her voice. I'm a bit disappointed that she didn't really collaborate with Lindsey. There could be scheduling reasons, etc. of course, but if I were her I'd make it a point to be involved! If I found out that I'd get to sing with LB I would find it mighty hard to contain myself

I think it's cool that he was a bit more laid-back about this process. Learning he doesn't have to control everything I'm the same way, so I know when you allow yourself to let go it can be very nerve racking but ultimately freeing Probably helps that the songs were written for a specific purpose versus pieces that he crafts which have deeper, much more personal meaning.

Last edited by KindOfWoman90; 12-20-2012 at 07:29 PM..
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It doesn't surprise me he wasn't controlling about this. It wasn't his baby, he had no emotional investment really. They asked him to contribute, he said sure. He wasn't producing the album, it wasn't his vision.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No wonder these tracks sound so good.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
No wonder these tracks sound so good.
I think they sound OK but not great. Except for B&S I think they're a tad flat. But they're certainly much less treble-y than SWS was - more spectrally balanced. My ideal scenario is Lindsey mixing an album with someone else. He can add all the creative stuff but whoever he is working with can make sure it's a high fidelity mix with good balance.