The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like what I have heard, even though I have not listened to the whole CD. Even Yoko's song sounds good to me. Maybe I've just gotten used to her voice -- I don't know. I like the Nora Jones track, which has Lindsey on it, though he is not credited. I like Lindsey's tracks, especially Brother and Sister, which from the clip I had heard earlier, didn't excite me. But I like it. It recalls Given Thing, a song I wish he would finish and release it on something. I am really digging the other two tracks as well.

The thing that strikes me about this is how well the music is produced. It really does seem to reinforce the idea that Lindsey should work with a producer. Take a listen to Brother and Sister and compare that to the production on Love Runs Deeper. The beginning of both songs is very similar, but the guitar on Brother and Sister sounds better, not nearly as thin as Love Runs Deeper, which has always bothered me.

Last edited by RockawayBlind; 12-12-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
I like the Nora Jones track, which has Lindsey on it, though he is not credited.
What does he do on it? I haven't heard it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWall View Post
What does he do on it? I haven't heard it.
He sings the "always judging" refrain, and I believe some of the guitar is him because it echoes his style.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like the Nora Jones track, which has Lindsey on it, though he is not credited.
he's credited in CD liner notes - guitar and backing vocals.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
he's credited in CD liner notes - guitar and backing vocals.
See, I know my man.

I downloaded so I don't have liner notes.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
See, I know my man.

I downloaded so I don't have liner notes.
Yes, would you please type up the Lindsey relevant parts from the liner notes? Who wrote what, played what, produced what...
Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Senior Ledgie

You can hardly tell that Norah Jones is singing on Lindsey's song, and it is "featuring Norah Jones," but he is so prominent on her song and is not listed. Kind of annoying.

I really hope he enjoyed this experience and ends up doing some more collaborations. He is too talented to only be doing his solo records and trying to trick Stevie into recording new material. And no offense to Stevie or her fans, but I really think in some ways her talents are not what they once were, and it is nice to hear Lindsey working with some new people.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

allmusic review:

"the artists don't toss off their contributions, either: Buckingham's three songs are all very good, with Jones acting as an effective Stevie Nicks foil on Brother & Sister"
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWall View Post
You can hardly tell that Norah Jones is singing on Lindsey's song, and it is "featuring Norah Jones," but he is so prominent on her song and is not listed. Kind of annoying.

I really hope he enjoyed this experience and ends up doing some more collaborations. He is too talented to only be doing his solo records and trying to trick Stevie into recording new material. And no offense to Stevie or her fans, but I really think in some ways her talents are not what they once were, and it is nice to hear Lindsey working with some new people.
I share your sentiments. I would add the reason Nora is hard to hear is because -- if I am correctly identifying the voice track -- her voice comes in at a lower register than Lindsey's. It's almost like he wanted to take full advantage of all that smokiness in her tone to balance his pitch.

Interestingly, I noticed Lindsey's voice has acquired a slight raspy quality, which at his age is very common and adds nice bottom. He should cultivate that and keep recording clean vocals without the whispering and effects, as others have mentioned. In other words, he should act his age.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I share your sentiments. I would add the reason Nora is hard to hear is because -- if I am correctly identifying the voice track -- her voice comes in at a lower register than Lindsey's. It's almost like he wanted to take full advantage of all that smokiness in her tone to balance his pitch.
Reminds me of what he said about Christine's honey tones being a contrast to his and Stevie's more nasal voices.

Michele