Originally Posted by Popmuseum View Post

Notice how they have SIX star reviews? "These go to eleven."
Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Great collection

Quote:
Thanx.
At last I've heard them all! Great initiative from Salvo or whoever that got the idea in the first place. My heart sank a bit at the beginning though because of the battle to get the cd's out of the case without breaking and bending them - not to mention putting them back in again. Maybe we should listen to Don Browns advice!

My first impression was how nice it was to be able to listen to the Fleetwood Mac tracks without Jeremy's and Danny's songs. (No offence meant, because they should also be given the chance to "shine on their own" some time). Anyway - it is great now to be able to listen to Peter Green and hear the development in his music (apart from the End of The Game numbers which is strangely left out but pretty important in the big picture). The sound is very good as many of you point out too. I had never heard the Peter Bardens tracks on disc 2 before so that made me happy as well!

Even though it is ok as it is I am still baffled about the choise of "order" of the tracks, and would have liked to have been given a reason for that in the sleeve notes. Also it would have been great to hear more about Peter's involvement and thoughts about the selection proces.
The sleeve notes by John Crosby are good and thorough and I like the way he brings "world history" into it at the beginning. The booklet also include bits from an "e-mail interview with the writer". I presume the one being interviewed is Peter Green.

The picture on page 37 is said the be from FM's debut at The Windsor the 13th of August 1967, but I think that is wrong. I think it is from Hyde Park 24th of August 1968 (Danny is in the picture). Cussion posted a picture from that event on the Pre-Rumours site some time ago. I also think the picture on page 19 is more likely to be from the summer of 69 (than 68) and the picture on page12-13 from late summer 1968 not 67 (just for the record).

Ms Moose
Old 11-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Thanx.
Dear Ms Moose - thanx again.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Nice booklet, also, thanks in part to Don and his archive material.
But they should have proof read the text one more time.
Apparently "White Sky" is a Fleetwood Mac track now...sure didn't know that!
Hi,
I finally got my copy ( I paid for it over a month ago ).
It is a nice compilation, but in my opinnion some great tracks are missing. Or in other words The Anthology should consists of 6 or 8 CDs .
It's fine to know our friends Mario and Don Brown have contribution in delivering some pictures and information for the liner notes
Now some my remarks.
In the booklet there are some errors or inaccuracies.
For example:
1- Stop Messin' Around was published in 1968 not in 1969.
2. There should be cleary described which tracks were composed by Peter Green (P.A. Green) and Michael Green (M.D. Green). We all knows it but begining Greeny's fan can suppose that all the tracks desribed (Green) were composed by Peter Green.

Apart from that everything is OK

Krzysztof
Old 12-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
Hi,
I finally got my copy ( I paid for it over a month ago ).
It is a nice compilation, but in my opinnion some great tracks are missing. Or in other words The Anthology should consists of 6 or 8 CDs .
It's fine to know our friends Mario and Don Brown have contribution in delivering some pictures and information for the liner notes
Now some my remarks.
In the booklet there are some errors or inaccuracies.
For example:
1- Stop Messin' Around was published in 1968 not in 1969.
2. There should be cleary described which tracks were composed by Peter Green (P.A. Green) and Michael Green (M.D. Green). We all knows it but begining Greeny's fan can suppose that all the tracks desribed (Green) were composed by Peter Green.

Apart from that everything is OK

Krzysztof
Yes, and "White sky" is listed as a Fleetwood Mac track.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Sun (UK) call PG's Anthology one of the Top 20 Reissues and Box Sets of 2008

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2053331.ece

ERIC CLAPTON may have been called the god of guitar but he had a serious rival to his lofty status in the late Sixties ... Peter Green.

For years, this other deity has fought his demons but a timely four-CD overview of his stop-start career showcases what a virtuoso player he was and still remains.

Best known for his time in Fleetwood Mac, he poured his heart and soul into the blues.

But he demonstrated his versatility on the laid-back instrumental hit Albatross.

Classic track: Black Magic Woman
Old 12-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I was wrong and WHAT'S THE BIG IDEA???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Anyway - it is great now to be able to listen to Peter Green and hear the development in his music (apart from the End of The Game numbers which is strangely left out but pretty important in the big picture). Ms Moose
HA! Stupid woman! I was wrong! There are one track from End Of The Game: Disc III, track 15: Hidden Depth (featuring Zoot Money). Great track! Fantastic!
I think End Of The Game is growing on me (even though I don't like wha-wha....).

BUT STILL: what's the BIG IDEA behind the order of the tracks? For instance Disc III: "Momma Don'tcha Cry" sandwiched between "Before The Beginning" and "Underway" / "Rattkesnake Shake" and so on. What has been the selection criteria? ARG-H-H this drives me mad!

Is there anybody in the know who knows and would enlighten us - pleazzze?

Ms Moose
Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Junior Ledgie

Just got this box. What a fantastic sounding set!!

Can someone associated with this project tell me who mastered this, or where it was done? This person should be in the credits because they did a great job.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Ledgie

I, too, just got the set. Haven't listened to all tracks, yet, but I am impressed with the remastering job.
I had no trouble getting the CDs out of the holders. Pushing the little tab almost popped them out.
The track order is somewhat goofy, but I can live with it.
I thought the booklet statement about PG possibly performing again soon was intriguing. Wonder what that means.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Reviewed by Andy Gill, 1-2-2009, The Independent UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...o-1220825.html

Drawing on all stages of his career, from early work as a sideman in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and Peter Bardens' Looners, through to his resurgence with his own Splinter Group around the cusp of the new millennium, this four-disc compilation gives the most comprehensive portrait so far of the reclusive genius whom no less a fan than BB King acknowledged was "the only guitar player to make me sweat". You can hear what he means: for Peter Green the blues was more about touch and feel than speed and volume, and the subtlety of his playing cuts deep into your emotions. Listen to his delicate, liquid tone on the original "Black Magic Woman"; or to his diffident approach on Fleetwood Mac's version of Little Willie John's "Need Your Love So Bad": this is an artist quietly at work, not some jobbing axe-hero hewing away for ego's sake. His lack of ego torpedoed Green's career just as it was reaching its zenith: there's an air of resignation and almost nihilist apathy in songs such as "Oh Well" and "Man of the World" (with its sombre plaint "I just wish that I had never been born") that was later echoed by Kurt Cobain; mercifully, Green's disenchantment took a less self-destructive form.

Pick of the Album: 'Black Magic Woman', 'Need Your Love So Bad', 'Stop Messin' Around', 'Oh Well Pts 1 & 2', 'The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)'
Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Ledgie

Default BBC reivew

Chris Jones: Peter Green. The Anthology.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/9zvr/
Old 03-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Chris Jones: Peter Green. The Anthology.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/9zvr/
Thank you Popmuseum! Great positive review.

Ms Moose
Old 03-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Brown View Post

I don't think CDs are manufactured with the same quality as when they were first invented.
I remember watching a Science and Technology show back before CDs were released. The presenter was scratching the surface of the CD with her diamond engagement ring to show how tough they were.

Don't think they ever made them that good though...I find scratches on my CDs which have gone from the case to the CD player and back again.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I remember watching a Science and Technology show back before CDs were released. The presenter was scratching the surface of the CD with her diamond engagement ring to show how tough they were.
This is a job for Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Don't think they ever made them that good though...I find scratches on my CDs which have gone from the case to the CD player and back again.