User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
In the U.S., "high school" is the term that refers to the final three (or sometimes four) years of compulsory schooling.

The terms "college" & "university" -- both referring to noncompulsory schooling that follows high school -- are often used interchangeably in the U.S. in conversation, although whereas "university" pertains almost always to four-year degree (B.A., B.S.) & (what we call) graduate school (M.A., M.S., Ph.D.), "college" is also used to refer to two-year degree schooling (A.A.), so-called "junior colleges," & university prep as well as vocational school.

Sometimes you see the name "college" used in titles of law schools & medical schools, & the term is also used academically within universities as titles of departments or other broad classifications: for example, U.C. Irvine's College of Music.
How bloom'in confusing..but thanks for the definition.I can see back home how we merge the two names to mean the last 5 years of compulsary schooling and "uni" means university...full stop.cheers David.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
#1- Universities are greedy

#2- Americans are mostly idiots (ie Look who was elected President twice, need I say more???)

Congrats for finishing high school...It was 20 years ago for me (HATED every second of that popularity contest)

Ditto for me too, on both counts. The day I graduated I was unbelievably happy, I even remember on the radio in the car that old Boston song called 'Don't Look Back' came on and I said to myself "Yep. Don't look back!" and that's how I was for years afterwards. I would never complain about my elementary or junior HS torture or the gym class horrors or other things. Nope, I just tried to push it all out of my mind and looked forward to college and the real world. Although, college isn't exactly the real world either, is it. But still, I had fun. Only lately, with my 20 year reunion invitation sitting on my desk, am I thinking about high school. I want to go, just for my selfish schadenfreude . I'm going with the hopes that some of my tormentors have either grown grossly obese or are chain smoking burnt-out skeletons. And even if they're not, I'll shake their hands anyway and say hello and ask them to tell me everything they've done for the last 20 years in 3 minutes.

Last edited by petep9000; 05-31-2008 at 10:20 AM..
Old 05-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We have 8 days left I think. It is very sad. I don't want to lose touch with all of my best friends.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

^^ That's the trouble, isn't it? School is the only time of your life when you get to see your friends all day every day ... and I didn't quite appreciate that until this year! Fortunately that's made it the best year ever, in spite of all the pressure.

In Ireland the system for getting into college is really high-pressure. The grades you get in your final exams are translated into points and whether or not you get your place depends on how many points you have. I've applied for a psychology degree at Trinity College Dublin and I need to get at least 550 out of 600 points for it. So I'm scared!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
^^ That's the trouble, isn't it? School is the only time of your life when you get to see your friends all day every day ... and I didn't quite appreciate that until this year! Fortunately that's made it the best year ever, in spite of all the pressure.

In Ireland the system for getting into college is really high-pressure. The grades you get in your final exams are translated into points and whether or not you get your place depends on how many points you have. I've applied for a psychology degree at Trinity College Dublin and I need to get at least 550 out of 600 points for it. So I'm scared!

Didn't famed writer/playwrite Oscar Wilde go to Trinity?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
It takes Americans an extra year to learn the material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life

#1- Universities are greedy

#2- Americans are mostly idiots (ie Look who was elected President twice, need I say more???)
I just wouldn't have got away with saying this. I did laugh though!

I did my first degree(s) - Physics & Civil Engineering in the UK and did my Masters in the US at UC San Diego. It takes a great effort to get a University qualification wherever you study, so well done to those who did it and those currently studying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1998
I wish I would have went on to college
So do it! You'll do very well. If you do Maths, Physics, Engineering - I can help with your homework!