Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Buckingham's gift showcased

Buckingham's gift showcased
Jesse DeLeon
Friday, April 4, 2008

Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham has been a long-admirer of Beach Boy Brian Wilson. Like his idol, Buckingham has gained a reputation for being a skewed genius, opting for unconventional approaches to songwriting while not betraying melody.

When he joined Fleetwood Mac with then-girlfriend Stevie Nicks, his signature vocals and virtuosity on the guitar helped him carve a niche for himself in music history by being a major factor in seminal songs like "Go Your Own Way," "Don't Stop" and "Never Going Back Again."

As a solo artist, Buckingham had some commercial success with his 1981 album "Law and Order" and the ultra-infectious single "Trouble." With a more relaxed recording schedule, he got married and returned with the excellent "Out of the Cradle" in 1992.

And, as is the case with super groups like Fleetwood Mac, the inevitable reunion tour and subsequent live album brought the members of the band together gain in 1997.

Last year's "Under the Skin" was Buckingham's fourth solo disc, and his decision to tour to support the record yielded several memorable live performances, the best of which is documented on "Live at the Bass Performance Hall" (Warner Bros.).

The always jocular performer, he admirably tackles a playlist that runs the gamut from his best-loved Fleetwood Mac contributions like the irresistible "Second Hand News" and "Big Love" to solo entries like a reworked version of "Trouble" and an appropriately restless arrangement for "Go Insane."

This is Buckingham's first solo tour in 14 years, and judging from the impassioned performances and receptive audience reaction, the whole endeavor, to borrow one of the singer's own song titles, is a fun trip down "Holiday Road."

Unbeloved innovation

Fleetwood Mac's sessions for "Tusk," a 1979 double disc follow up to the mega-selling "Rumours" were the tensest in the band's history, with Buckingham taking more creative control and opting for more experimental sounds rather than the formula that had worked so well for them in the past.

He later admitted that, incredibly, some of the album was actually recorded in his bathroom. Still, the sprawling set did have some shining moments like the hook-laden "Think About Me" and the claustrophobic "What Makes You Think You're the One" that rank among Buckingham's best.

His flair for the unconventional was eventually reserved for his solo projects, as Tusk's unanimous commercial disappointment made it somewhat of a misguided masterpiece.

Out on his own

On the 1981 release "Law and Order," Buckingham emancipates himself from the confines of Fleetwood Mac and steps out from beyond the shadow of Stevie Nicks and delivers an offhanded gem of an album.

The moment of pure pop perfection is the lyrically banal but melodically engaging "Trouble" that gave Buckingham his first (and only) top ten single as a solo artist.

Sophomore slump

Forsaking the lo-fi approach of its predecessor, Buckingham pulled out all the stops on 1984's "Go Insane."

He channels Brian Wilson to great effect, multi-tracks his vocals and plays most of the instruments himself.

Third time's a charm

"Out of the Cradle" is Buckingham's tour de force. It is a seamless, reflective statement from the guitarist as he struggles with his impending middle age.

It also offers his view of mortality in the wake of the death of his brother, yet still reaffirms his faith as he finally became a dad toward the completion of this album.

There isn't a filler track here, with the lyrically cynical "Countdown," the gorgeous "Soul Drifter" and the snarling "Wrong" being the standouts among a particularly satisfying set of tracks.

Ratings

Tusk (Warner Brothers) by Fleetwood Mac ** 1/2

Live at the Bass Performance Hall (Warner Bros.) ***

Law and Order (Reprise) ** 1/2

Go Insane (Reprise) **

Out of the Cradle (Reprise) ****

Contact Jesse De Leon, program director and morning show personality for Oldies 93.9, at 289-0111 or jessedeleon@clearchannel.com

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/apr/...ift-showcased/
Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldn't describe Lindsey as "the always jocular performer."

Michele
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It looks like another person did not do his homework. Lindsey did not write Think About Me.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
It looks like another person did not do his homework. Lindsey did not write Think About Me.

Nor was he married before Out of the Craddle in 1992, and a father before he finished recording it, was he?
Old 04-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

crappy article, but thanks for sharing.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Why the hell is "What Makes You Think You're The One" claustrophobic??? I don't feel like I am trapped in a small room with little air when I listen to it.
That's like saying "Tusk" is vertically challenged. Makes no sense
Old 04-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this piece is written by an idiot. and giving Tusk **1/2 is ridiculous.
His oldest kid is now 16? He wrote Think about me?

There are times that I get in the mood to kill reporters.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
crappy article, but thanks for sharing.
Oh my God I think this is the nicest thing you ever said to me.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I stopped reading when I saw tusk only got ** 1/2. That is officailly the worst article I have ever read. But many thanks for sharing.
** 1/2 I just cant get over that. I love to know who wrote this!!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
I stopped reading when I saw tusk only got ** 1/2. That is officailly the worst article I have ever read. But many thanks for sharing.
Agreed, that is crap. I was going to tell them so but decided just not worth it. Obviously just a dumb person so what's the use?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
Agreed, but OOTC got 4 stars and that made me smile.