Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Credit Where its Due

[This writer on the Common Ills blog mentions Danny Goldberg's book in which Lindsey is said to be the Don't Stop writer, in a rant about women not getting their writing credit. Of course Lindsey himself has noted that because they traded verses on that song, many mistakenly believe he is at least a co-writer]

http://thecommonills.blogdrive.com/a...-2009_o-0.html

It's not a minor point. When Matthew Rothschild was still flirting with revealing his piggish nature to the country (he'd expose himself fully in 2008), he denied Yoko her earned credit. The Nation did the same. (And both were called out for it here.) I'm not in the mood. I wasn't in the mood when drugged out loser John Phillips tried to commandeer sole credit for "California Dreamin'" -- the same drugged out loser who STOLE credit on Hedy West's classic "500 Miles" and had to be called on that repeatedly before he would finally cop to the fact that he didn't write or co-write the song. I'm not in the mood. I don't play with that topic. We always try to credit writers here and not just say "The New York Times." Even the writers I ridicule here get their names mentioned. I take credit very seriously and I take efforts to deny credit and to specifically deny women their credit very seriously. I'm not talking about Devon Read who made an honest mistake as a result of years and years of efforts to deny Yoko co-songwriting credit (on a song she also sings on). I'm talking about 'journalists' like Matthew Rothschild who repeatedly deny Yoko her credit, I'm talking about the journalists launching their revisionary "John Phillips wrote 'California Dreamin' all by himself" -- (yeah, cause he lived it, right? He was the California Girl, right? Spare me the damn bulls**t). The original credit was John Phillips and Michelle Gilliam then updated to John and Michelle Phillips. The only thing more astounding than his ego was how willing the press was to join in rewriting history. And I'm talking about Danny Goldberg writing -- in a BOOK -- that Lindsey Buckingham wrote the Fleetwood Mac hit "Don't Stop." Christine McVie wrote that song. All by herself. I'm getting damn tired of women being stripped of their credit and when Danny can do that, and when a book publisher can put it into print, it shows how little respect there is for women's accomplishments. It's not -- and has never been -- a minor point with me.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This writer knows how to make a point ... and I completely agree with the writer. Thanks for posting.

It's true about Christine and "Don't Stop" -- many of the reviewers of the current tour seem to think "Say You Love Me" is the only song of hers that is being performed.

But who else in Fleetwood Mac could have written that perfect four minutes of upbeat piano pop? You'd have to have no clue about the band to think Lindsey wrote it.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Whenever I look at the pre-Tusk albums, particularly FM, I'm surprised how little Lindsey wrote. And he's often portrayed as the brains behind it all.