User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm often surprised that so many here don't seem to like Billy. I mean, Lindsey is the real talent, but Billy is a good songwriter, with a really nice voice.

He had every reason to be pissed when they didn't ask him back into the band.
I think Billy has a lovely singing voice. I'm with Viv in that I only like ITBOMM (for Rick, I really like Love is Dangerous).

I think he should have been asked back in 2018, Rick too. But, one, isn't he not healthy enough to do a one year 90 show tour and two, even though Lindsey isn't a big audience draw, do any casual fans of FM music even know who Billy Burnette is in 2022? With Neil and Mike, you get CH and Heartbreaker fans.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
So you're saying Neil and Mike brought some magic to the band that Rick and Billy didn't?
The BTM show I saw in Cleveland was explosive. I left saying "wow"!
Old 06-25-2022, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I think Billy has a lovely singing voice. I'm with Viv in that I only like ITBOMM (for Rick, I really like Love is Dangerous).

I think he should have been asked back in 2018, Rick too. But, one, isn't he not healthy enough to do a one year 90 show tour and two, even though Lindsey isn't a big audience draw, do any casual fans of FM music even know who Billy Burnette is in 2022? With Neil and Mike, you get CH and Heartbreaker fans.
But this is Fleetwood Mac, not CH OR TOM PETTY.

It's not Ringo Starr's All Star Band!
Old 06-25-2022, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But this is Fleetwood Mac, not CH OR TOM PETTY.

It's not Ringo Starr's All Star Band!
No but it’s basically the Stevie Nicks All Star Fajita Roundup Band!

After firing Lindsey they were going to need to ensure that whatever press there was going to be saw the change as an upgrade or at the bare minimum keep things level. I think adding Neil and Mike accomplishes that. Going with Rick and Billy or even Billy instead of Neil wouldn’t quite have the same impact. I don’t think Neil’s name is that much of a household name in the US but as soon as you plug Don’t Dream It’s Over in the background of a news story announcing him in the band, a majority of the “tourists” who might want to “see a Fleetwood Mac show finally” will go “oh I love that song” etc. It just adds more legitimacy than going with Billy Burnette who really is not well known at all. It was different in 1987 - Lindsey had left and the band had a hugely successful album. I don’t think reuniting that era would really sound like a good (or more importantly, money making idea to Azoff) in 2018. Outside of us, that era of Fleetwood Mac post-Tango up through The Dance is largely forgettable to the general public (not to mention to the band itself).
Old 06-25-2022, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The BTM show I saw in Cleveland was explosive. I left saying "wow"!
I thought that was you I saw there LOL! We should have hung out!

Actually, I saw them in Cincinnati in November of 1990. No Save Me

Still a good show. That was the first concert I’d ever been to.

I understand why FM didn’t go to Billy or Rick in 2019- they had already done that once, so they wanted someone new. And as already pointed out, Stevie wanted Mike Campbell. As much as I like Billy, Neil Finn was a good choice. And didn’t Billy have major health issues shortly after the announcement? Or it might have been right before, can’t remember.

All I want from FM now is a BTM Deluxe Edition. Ok, and a Christine McVie Deluxe Edition of her 1984 album. And a rerelease of her concert on dvd/Blu-Ray. Oh, and Deluxe Editions of Rock a Little and the Other Side of the Mirror by Stevie. And the full concert videos of the Mirage and Rock a Little tours. And a video compilation of all the FM videos.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Billy and Rick weren’t picked because they were inspirational artists, they were picked because opening night was 55 days away and the band was behind schedule.

Billy was in their inner circle. They’d all worked with him, they knew he knew the songs, and that he could sing with Stevie and Christine. Rick was an in-demand sideman who was a fan of Peter Green. Furthermore, Billy and Rick had a working relationship.

It saved a lot of time and got them road ready by opening night.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 06-26-2022 at 02:24 AM..
Old 06-26-2022, 02:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
No but it’s basically the Stevie Nicks All Star Fajita Roundup Band!

After firing Lindsey they were going to need to ensure that whatever press there was going to be saw the change as an upgrade or at the bare minimum keep things level. I think adding Neil and Mike accomplishes that. Going with Rick and Billy or even Billy instead of Neil wouldn’t quite have the same impact. I don’t think Neil’s name is that much of a household name in the US but as soon as you plug Don’t Dream It’s Over in the background of a news story announcing him in the band, a majority of the “tourists” who might want to “see a Fleetwood Mac show finally” will go “oh I love that song” etc. It just adds more legitimacy than going with Billy Burnette who really is not well known at all. It was different in 1987 - Lindsey had left and the band had a hugely successful album. I don’t think reuniting that era would really sound like a good (or more importantly, money making idea to Azoff) in 2018. Outside of us, that era of Fleetwood Mac post-Tango up through The Dance is largely forgettable to the general public (not to mention to the band itself).
Do you really think that more than 1%of the audience was there to see Mike or Neil?
Old 06-26-2022, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Do you really think that more than 1%of the audience was there to see Mike or Neil?
The crowd in Indy erupted into thunderous applause when Mike said “We’ve got an Indiana crowd on an Indiana night” before talking about how “Oh Well” was a staple in the Heartbreakers set on several tours.

As mentioned many times, DDIO was the cell phones-as-lighters song in the set.

People were there to see Fleetwood Mac and knew that Tom Petty’s guitarist and the guy from Crowded House were in the band.

In any case, I’d definitely say there was much more excitement about Neil and Mike than Billy and Rick.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-26-2022, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You know my opinion on the whole thing but yes, I would say more than 200 people in an arena were convinced to buy a ticket because of Mike or Neil. They’re a far bigger draw than Rick Vito and/or Billy Burnette would ever be which was my point. Vince Gill in Eagles is the same concept. You could have put any serviceable guitar player and singer in to handle Glen’s parts and/or supplement a more heavily tilted Henley/Walsh setlist.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I'm more of a purist. I don't like my different foods touching.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don’t get me wrong, I’m with you. I love TP and the HBs but I’d rather see Campbell with his own band or a reformulated Heartbreakers playing the solo to Runnin’ Down a Dream than watching Mike painfully try to create his own spin to the GYOW solo.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My understanding of the unnamed 2018 Tour was that it was a celebration of FM's 50 years so I feel the show should've been free of non-FM music. The crowds obviously didn't care because DDIO and Free Fallin' are huge hits.
I think the three non-FM songs they did should've been As Long as You Follow, In the Back of My Mind, and Say You Will to give fair representation to Stevie and Chris' work and to give Neil another FM song to sing.

My feeling is that one you've made music with your band, then you can play your other work in the set list.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
My understanding of the unnamed 2018 Tour was that it was a celebration of FM's 50 years so I feel the show should've been free of non-FM music. The crowds obviously didn't care because DDIO and Free Fallin' are huge hits.
I think the three non-FM songs they did should've been As Long as You Follow, In the Back of My Mind, and Say You Will to give fair representation to Stevie and Chris' work and to give Neil another FM song to sing.

My feeling is that one you've made music with your band, then you can play your other work in the set list.
Those are *your* rules, though. Most people don’t agree.

Fleetwood Mac is in the entertainment business. DDIO and at least one Tom Petty song were foregone conclusions when the lineup was announced. You don’t bring guys of that caliber in the band and ignore their legendary bodies of work.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-26-2022, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If FM had played As Long As You Follow, In the Back of My Mind, and Say You Will, I would have lost my mind LOL. Especially the first two songs you mentioned. Really, I think it would have been better if Stevie and Christine had performed As Long As You Follow together rather than All Over Again. Lost opportunity. That is a beautiful song, it’s on both of their greatest hits albums, and it would have served the same purpose as All Over Again, only the audience would have responded to it more favorably, to say the least.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Those are *your* rules, though. Most people don’t agree.
Most people don't agree that Free Fallin' is a Stevie Nicks song either just because she recorded it for a tv show soundtrack but that's your rule.

What's up with the "*"? Why are you writing "Those are *your* rules, though." I wrote "I feel or I think" to express my thoughts. You are so quick to argue with anything that's not praise for the 2018 Tour. I went to shows on that tour. They even had a shirt with the names of all the albums on it. I didn't care for the shows. What's the problem with that? I also didn't care for OWTS. Are you pleased with that? Just don't understand why you're not kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Fleetwood Mac is in the entertainment business. DDIO and at least one Tom Petty song were foregone conclusions when the lineup was announced. You don’t bring guys of that caliber in the band and ignore their legendary bodies of work.
If they're in the entertainment business, then why did they not do Fleetwood Mac hits or classics as Sara, I Don't Want to Know, Over My Head, Songbird, Never Going Back Again, Tusk, or In the Back of My Mind. Do people not know those songs?

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 06-26-2022 at 03:29 PM..