User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
BTM has lots of fantastic qualities.

You can hear Christine playing keyboards (again) on so many songs and her style is revealed again and is so refreshing compared to the programmed tracks on Tango

You hear the classic Mac rhythm section again on all the songs. Even songs that are not great like Stand on the Rock, the Mac's rhythm section is fired up

Love all the vocalists singing together. Stevie and Billy. Christine and Billy. Stevie and Rick. No need to fake Stevie's voice like on Tango

I posted this before but I think half the album is excellent. Its not pop driven and holds up. The other half is not great and pulls the album down a bit.

I am in the minority but live the album cover. I understand none of them wanted to be on the cover so with that in mind what could you do. I love the mystery and so much tiny detail does tell a story.

Like Tango, Stevie brought some poor songs. In her haze, she was not writing great songs anymore and it would have been worth it to pull out an oldie.

Its comparing apples and oranges but I like BTM better than Tango. Its a group effort and Christine shines with her songs and keyboard playing. Gosh just listening to her layers or bridgey solos are amazing. You could strip all vocals and music and just listen to the keyboards on the songs and know its Fleetwood Mac. That is how dominant her style of playing is.
She dominated the BTM tour, too. Really stole the show. $tevie was in a slow dancing haze.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She dominated the BTM tour, too. Really stole the show. $tevie was in a slow dancing haze.
Christine had an amazing run from Tango through ITMT where her voice was crystal clear and had even better pitch than the heyday years where both she and Stevie were hit and miss, mostly due to the insane tour schedules.

Although a dark period for Stevie, her voice was much better on the BTM tour than Tango where she was basically a flat croak at least early on. Not so on BTM where she was clear and had a strong tone.

Overall, BTM I think was a big disappointment for the Mac as they had high hopes for it. In hindsight it was half really good and half boring and unmemorable, mostly due to the production. It would have been much better with Dashut and Calliat at the helm.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Christine had an amazing run from Tango through ITMT where her voice was crystal clear and had even better pitch than the heyday years where both she and Stevie were hit and miss, mostly due to the insane tour schedules.

Although a dark period for Stevie, her voice was much better on the BTM tour than Tango where she was basically a flat croak at least early on. Not so on BTM where she was clear and had a strong tone.

Overall, BTM I think was a big disappointment for the Mac as they had high hopes for it. In hindsight it was half really good and half boring and unmemorable, mostly due to the production. It would have been much better with Dashut and Calliat at the helm.
Agree on Nicks' voice. Agree on BTM.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I take back this thread, because I still think it's unfair we don't have a deluxe edition of this album. At least a release of two discs is a good deal!! And of course I'm saying the minor release we could see...

- Original album

- Disc with demos, outtakes and B-sides, so finally Lizard People could be released on CD and vinyl formats...

- DVD with tour AND musical videos, OR a third disc with live versions and the songs from this era (ALAYF, Paper Doll, Another Woman, No Questions Asked)

PLEASE!!!!!
Old 05-03-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I take back this thread, because I still think it's unfair we don't have a deluxe edition of this album. At least a release of two discs is a good deal!! And of course I'm saying the minor release we could see...

- Original album

- Disc with demos, outtakes and B-sides, so finally Lizard People could be released on CD and vinyl formats...

- DVD with tour AND musical videos, OR a third disc with live versions and the songs from this era (ALAYF, Paper Doll, Another Woman, No Questions Asked)

PLEASE!!!!!
There is a lot of great music in this era.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Indeed! Listening to BTM recently I re-discovered it and I feel it sounds better and better. Music gets wise, so as us...
I forgot Heart Of Stone, released only on the 25 Years: The Chain box set.
Would it be good to have Make Me A Mask on a possible deluxe edition?
Old 05-03-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Indeed! Listening to BTM recently I re-discovered it and I feel it sounds better and better. Music gets wise, so as us...
Don't forget Love Shines.

Imagine if they opened the album with Love Shines??
Old 05-03-2022, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree about BTM, and that era in general- very underrated. As Long As You Follow certainly should have been on Rolling Stone’s recent 50 Greatest FM songs, anyway.

While it was generous of Lindsey to give Mick Make Me a Mask for the box set, it was recorded solely by Lindsey when he was not a member of FM, so more than any other song, it should not be included on another FM record.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine's songs were mostly up to her standards. "Skies the Limit" (which should have been "Sky's the Limit," but I suspect was intentionally misspelled since United Airlines -Fly the Friendly Skies- was the big tour sponsor) was a little clunky.

Billy had maybe the second best batch of songs, although I really could have lived without "Hard Feelings." "When It Comes To Love" would have been better without the cheesy intro and with better production (a theme for this album).

Stevie and Rick had mostly forgettable songs, although better production might have helped.

Billy and Rick had better songs that weirdly got passed over.

Overall, I think the band was in top form as musicians, but the songs weren't especially strong. Stevie's songs weren't here weakest, definitely not her strongest, and were mostly bland and forgettable (although I'd love to have Mike produce a redo of "Freedom" because it could be a pretty good song).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-04-2022, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Christine's songs were mostly up to her standards. "Skies the Limit" (which should have been "Sky's the Limit," but I suspect was intentionally misspelled since United Airlines -Fly the Friendly Skies- was the big tour sponsor) was a little clunky.

Billy had maybe the second best batch of songs, although I really could have lived without "Hard Feelings." "When It Comes To Love" would have been better without the cheesy intro and with better production (a theme for this album).

Stevie and Rick had mostly forgettable songs, although better production might have helped.

Billy and Rick had better songs that weirdly got passed over.

Overall, I think the band was in top form as musicians, but the songs weren't especially strong. Stevie's songs weren't here weakest, definitely not her strongest, and were mostly bland and forgettable (although I'd love to have Mike produce a redo of "Freedom" because it could be a pretty good song).
Your summation is one I would agree with, although I clearly love the album much more than you. It is hard to understand how Intuition and Game of Love were passed over, as those two songs by Rick and Billy were so good. Stevie’s songs, I feel, are definitely not only the weakest of the four, but her personal weakest as well, yet ironically her vocals are great, and I can never get enough of their harmonies. I agree, a redo of Freedom would be cool.

Regarding the infamous Skies the Limit- you’re correct that grammatically it should be Sky’s the Limit, but it’s funny that people have posted here before that they hate the song because of the title ‘error.’ First off, if someone dislikes the song because of the way a word is spelled in the title, that’s stupid LOL and secondly, the title itself is never even sang in the song- the chorus is “the sky is the limit now (oh, the sky is the limit.)” Your theory of why the title is written as Skies the Limit is interesting but I doubt it’s accurate. The tour details would have come well after the album was completed, IMO. Maybe it’s a British thing, at least that’s the ‘Rumour’ I heard.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Don't forget Love Shines.

Imagine if they opened the album with Love Shines??
So true! I truly forgot the song, but it's one that can't be absent!!
About Make Me A Mask, is good to consider that, if it's a Lindsey's solo song, it wouldn't be able to be on the list...
So! I see we have good material to a second disc on a deluxe edition
Old 05-06-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
So true! I truly forgot the song, but it's one that can't be absent!!
About Make Me A Mask, is good to consider that, if it's a Lindsey's solo song, it wouldn't be able to be on the list...
So! I see we have good material to a second disc on a deluxe edition
That would truly be a cool opener. I feel like Skies is too light. This band rocks a little more than with Lindsey.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I am hoping for a trance dance version of The Second Time with RAL era Edge of 17 screams and growls sampled in.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That such a release even sees the light of day.

Last edited by cbBen; 05-29-2022 at 04:32 AM..