User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I discovered Russian download sites on the net, so added about 200 albums to my collection within a few weeks. Now I have to listen to all the new stuff...
Ever hear the Russian band Leningrad? They're quite exciting and original.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I listen to a lot of Mac stuff at the gym on my I-pod. I think the acoustic version of CM's "Friend" is the most frequently played song in my I-tunes library. Lately, I've been enjoying The Madge Sessions. I've also been playing the Christine Perfect album in my car.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well,, I'm quite lucky to have grown up in a house that always has music playing. So I am constantly listening to something. I go through phases as various artists over the years have come and gone (at the moment, I have Duffy, Sara Bareilles and The Ting Ting's playing a lot) but there always seems to be staple music - my all time fav's - that I never stop listening to: Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, Tori Amos, The Cranberries, Abba, Blondie and Bjork - that I can never really stop listening to.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcl1964 View Post
This just accured to me reading the thread about our "Least Listened To FM Album." Do we still listen to our favorites as much as we used to? I LOVE McCartney, Beatles (and solo), FM (and solo), Partridge Family/Cassidy, Clapton, and Costello but I don't seem to be listening as much as I used to. Granted I'm listening to other bands and artists but these are the ones that got me into music in the first place. My older brother LOVES Hendrix but he doesn't seem to play him that much either. Is it just me or do you notice yourselves listening less and less to your favorites?
I love the partridge family: "Echo Valley 2-6809," "Summer Days," "Brown Eyes," etc. I try to listen to partridge albums at least once a month or so. I never loved rock & roll very much but of course as teen & twentysomething & even thirtysomething I listened to it, but never to the exclusion of beethoven, mozart, & debussy & them guys. Of course, "pop" used to be more prevalent in my ears until my record player broke down in my junior year in high school. But, I must say it's hard to grow older with most rock music. I still love Beatles & such, but my diminishing muscle & brain tissue cannot sustain an emotional connection with that stuff. Also, rock tends to be emotionally limited. Of course, "rock" is a comprehensive term & can be just about any form of pop music. The first 1/3 of "Stairway to Heaven" is more english ballad than rock but it's still called rock. "Lay Lady Lay," a dreamy country song, is still discussed in the framework of rock culture. But for most people "rock" means stuff like Bon Jovi, Van Halen, U2, & such. Some of this stuff is really good but emotionally simple, stupid, puerile, naive, banal, &/or insane. It's fun when you're young but tiresome as you grow older. Indeed, one of the appeals of rock as you grow older is that it reminds you of youth. So I still enjoy "Go Your Own Way" or "Sugar Daddy" or "Accidents Will Happen" but I have to think of my younger days & put myself into a different frame of mind -- who I was in the '70s & '80s. That's all well & good, to look back on the younger days, but it's also a form of escapism from the fact of growing older. This is why classical music is better to grow up with, as I did. It expresses timelessness. It's neither young nor old. We need all forms of music. For young folks, I understand why rock is so important. I used to love pop in my teens. But it just doesn't cut it as you grow older.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I still love Beatles & such, but my diminishing muscle & brain tissue cannot sustain an emotional connection with that stuff.
So, what would you rather hear? The "new" lost Mozart song or Rumours?

Partridge Family? After the Brady Bunch, they could not hold a candle.

On the 4th day after my dad's stroke, he became unresponsive and lethargic. I told the doctors and they told me he was just "tired." Turned out his brain was swelling and once they actually acknowledged this, they removed his right skull flap to relieve the pressure.

After that crisis was over, I asked them why they hadn't realized his brain was swelling immediately and they said that due to his age (75) they didn't think it was likely, because although swelling is common after a stroke, the brain usually shrinks so much by the time you're that old that it doesn't outgrow the skull even when it swells. So, they never considered it might be pressing against his skull.

Anyway, be happy about your diminishing muscle and brain tissue. It might save your life.

Michele
Old 09-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Ledgie

If Anyone is interested the final Partridge Family album "Bulletin Board" is FINALLY coming out on CD. You can pre-order from Collector's Choice (www.ccmusic.com). It's due out in October.

Last edited by dcl1964; 09-20-2008 at 12:47 PM..
Old 09-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Ledgie

I understand what David is saying about classical music. Some of my friends have moved on to classical and find it relaxing after a hard day of work. The problem I have with classical is just that. I want to listen to the music not have it put me to sleep. Some of the classical movements are so long that I forgot the beginning of the piece when it reaches the end. I feel the same about listening to live recordings with the 15 minute guitar or drum solos.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This just accured to me reading the thread about our "Least Listened To FM Album." Do we still listen to our favorites as much as we used to? I LOVE McCartney, Beatles (and solo), FM (and solo), Partridge Family/Cassidy, Clapton, and Costello but I don't seem to be listening as much as I used to. Granted I'm listening to other bands and artists but these are the ones that got me into music in the first place. My older brother LOVES Hendrix but he doesn't seem to play him that much either. Is it just me or do you notice yourselves listening less and less to your favorites?
I love your musical referrences - The Beatles and The Partridge Family are my earliest influences as a kid. Clapton and Costello came later on. There is not enough time in the world for me to listen to everything I want to. I have a massive 30-year collection of music. I have about ten or so artists that I tend to listen to periodically....the rest I listen to when I'm reminded of them...i.e. references in the media, hearing a song on the radio etc...

As an avid collector...sometimes I'll buy cds just to add or complete an artist's catalog. I may not even listen to them until they pass by my radar. I consider my collection to be a like a library: I may not listen to a cd for years, but when I'm the "zone" of a particular artist, I'm really happy that I can explore, relive and discover things within the bulk of their work.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If Anyone is interested the final Partridge Family album "Bulletin Board" is FINALLY coming out on CD. You can pre-order from Collector's Choice (www.ccmusic.com). It's due out in October.
Thanks! It's a long time coming for that last album. It's their most obscure album since it was the last one released at a time when their time in the spotlight was fading.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I love your musical referrences - The Beatles and The Partridge Family are my earliest influences as a kid. Clapton and Costello came later on. There is not enough time in the world for me to listen to everything I want to. I have a massive 30-year collection of music. I have about ten or so artists that I tend to listen to periodically....the rest I listen to when I'm reminded of them...i.e. references in the media, hearing a song on the radio etc...

As an avid collector...sometimes I'll buy cds just to add or complete an artist's catalog. I may not even listen to them until they pass by my radar. I consider my collection to be a like a library: I may not listen to a cd for years, but when I'm the "zone" of a particular artist, I'm really happy that I can explore, relive and discover things within the bulk of their work.
I feel the same way as you do about being a collector. I have a pile of CDs and DVDs that I haven't listened to or watched yet. I spend most of my evenings and weekends in the summer watching my Baltimore Orioles play baseball on TV. I use the winter to try and catch up on everything. I'll play CDs while I'm using my computer.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think like everyone else, I go through phases. Sometimes I listen to Stevie Mac all the time. Now, I don't listen to much at all. I've been through Chicago phases, Eagles phases and Country Music phases.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I love the partridge family: "Echo Valley 2-6809," "Summer Days," "Brown Eyes," etc. I try to listen to partridge albums at least once a month or so. .
OMG- I love the Partridge Family too! Am glad I am not alone. I have all their stuff on my Ipod (and drive my poor husband crazy when listen). They were the first music I got into on my own. What can I say, the songs make me happy. I love "Brown Eyes" and "Echo Valley" "I'll Meet you Halfway"- they are such happy songs. It was a great little show back then too.

I do agree with whoever posted about Ipods have changed the way we listen to music. I don't run out asap to get my faves new CD (I even *gulp* forgot to get LBs last Tues and got it 2 days later) when normally I'd be there first thing in the morning and play it right away. I just down load a song or two I like from Itunes and that's it. Unless it's my fave artist, I don't normally buy the CD anymore.

However to answer the first posters question (the other Partridge fan!) I still do listen to the same music sadly as I always have. I do get new faves but they are usually older artists that I get into and discover. I like a lot of different things though but my fave stuff is from the 1970s. I still believe the best music ever came out of that era. So on my Ipod I normally have on my 70s mix, Fleetwood Mac, Stones, Jefferson Airplane (Starship), Beatles, James Taylor, Elton John, Carly Simon, Partridge Family of course, Bon Jovi, etc. I like some new stuff - more a song here and there (love Chris Daughtry) but I always go back to the stuff I grew up with.
Maybe it's a comfort thing or maybe i am just too old and set in my ways.

Good post!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Yeah! Wow, thanks for the tidbit! That's my fave of their CDs. I have it on CD but someone made it for me from an LP so not great quality. Now if they'd release the rest of the DVDs.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
Yeah! Wow, thanks for the tidbit! That's my fave of their CDs. I have it on CD but someone made it for me from an LP so not great quality. Now if they'd release the rest of the DVDs.
Partridge Family Season 3 comes out on October 14th.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Partridge Family Season 3 comes out on October 14th.
are you serious?????????? You just made my day!!!! woo hoo!!! I thought for sure they'd never come out. How do you know - is it listed on Amazon? Now I will for sure be in line for that when it comes out that day. Now for Season 4 right? I have all the shows on VHS taped from TV - they are so sad- commercials and all and they are edited versions too which I hate (when they cut the ends or the songs). Plus I don't even have a VHS plugged in anymore so this will be awesome! That and Bulletin Board (which it says on that website you can get it now?)

Lauren