Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Lindsey and Howard Stern

Any one else think maybe LB made the wrong choice to not do Howard?

He could have gotten some serious publicity out of it, I dont know, I just think he should have done it if not for any other reason, then to tru something main stream.

I mean, I think it may have helped

I always thought Howard and even Tom Leykis, back in the day, were good forums for artists, who knows
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No. IMO, he didn't make a mistake.
I don't like Howard Stern, personally, so I'm prejudiced but I don't think Lindsey would like being asked ultra-personal questions, even if he could and would field them (hopefully).
And I am pretty sure he has the boutique audience he has sought out. I think he knows,full well, that he's not going to get an audience of thousands in every town unless he's with his three compadres in FM.
I think, perhaps, at this point, the only people he'd like to "discover" him are those that appreciate his talent, not those who are concerned with how many groupies he screwed in the past.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A View Post
Any one else think maybe LB made the wrong choice to not do Howard?
Yes.

Howard is a Mac fan. He gets musical guests to do great performances on his show. He has a lot of listeners who may not be aware of LB's solo work. And Fred is a music nerd, so I'm sure the convo would have been steered toward his music.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

It was a huge mistake.

"Boutique audience"? So, Lindsey was thrilled to gaze upon the tiny Town Hall theater in NYC and see so many empty seats?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think he should have done it. I don't listen to Howard a lot, but he seems to be somewhat respectful with his higher profile guests if he respects them. I think the worst question he would have asked would have been what it was like to have sex with Stevie Nicks, and I'm sure that wouldn't be the first time Lindsey has heard that question. I think Howard would have been able to get him to give a more varied interview than you usually see from Lindsey.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder why this was cancelled? Did LB change his mind? Did LB insist that certain things not be discussed (personal life, etc.) and Stern's show said forget it? Was it simply a scheduling conflict? Who knows. I'm disappointed though.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimelongtime View Post
It was a huge mistake.

"Boutique audience"? So, Lindsey was thrilled to gaze upon the tiny Town Hall theater in NYC and see so many empty seats?
OK-so you don't like "boutique audience." How about "teeny tiny amount of loyal diehard fans who appreciate good music?" Because instead of concentrating on the empty seats, maybe--just maybe--he concentrated on the live wires who were there and sending him some love. And, yes, I am a Pollyanna in real life (when I'm not busy being a grouch).

I stood in line for the ladies' room at Stevie's PNC concert. Everywhere you looked, there were flyers for Lindsey's Town Hall concert. You know what I overheard FM fans say? "Oh, Lindsey. Is that his name? Wow. I like him but...not for a full concert..." They don't know his solo stuff. They don't WANT to know his solo stuff. And an appearance with Howard Stern is not going to change much. Could he have had a handful of people in the audience from that appearance. Sure, why not? Is it worth it to him, at this point? That's for Lindsey to decide.

And, if he was disappointed with Town Hall, he didn't show it. Yeah, he might very well be disappointed with nearly every stop on this tour. And, I guess we'll know if he stops touring. But, I think he's a realistic guy. For all the blathering about big machines/small machines, I think he knows what to expect out there. And I think he does it anyway because A-he can and B-he loves sharing his music to those of us who DO appreciate it, rather than those who would shove their grandmothers out of the way to worship at his feet at a FM concert but don't want anything to do with him in a solo venture. Same guy, SOME of the same music...prices that are...what? 1/3 of FM's? 1/4, in some cases? I guess people don't want a bargain.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
And, if he was disappointed with Town Hall, he didn't show it. Yeah, he might very well be disappointed with nearly every stop on this tour. And, I guess we'll know if he stops touring. But, I think he's a realistic guy. For all the blathering about big machines/small machines, I think he knows what to expect out there. And I think he does it anyway because A-he can and B-he loves sharing his music to those of us who DO appreciate it, rather than those who would shove their grandmothers out of the way to worship at his feet at a FM concert but don't want anything to do with him in a solo venture. Same guy, SOME of the same music...prices that are...what? 1/3 of FM's? 1/4, in some cases? I guess people don't want a bargain.
Was Town Hall less full than in 2006? I remember that time (I was up in the balcony since I couldn't afford the expensive seats), we were able to move a bunch of rows forward since there was almost no one up there. This time, I was "downstairs," but from what I could see it looked like there were a bunch of people in the balcony section.

I think Lindsey is happy to play for 3 people if they really want to hear him. He was extremely happy to see us Band Bench people on Fallon cheering and clapping for him.

Oh, and as for the original topic: I've never listened to Howard, only heard about him. But I wouldn't want LB to do the interview if it was gonna be unnecessary and icky personal questions. I doubt that would inspire people to go see a show where he spends 20 minutes alone with an acoustic guitar anyway.

Last edited by bangdrum; 11-01-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
But, I think he's a realistic guy. For all the blathering about big machines/small machines, I think he knows what to expect out there. And I think he does it anyway because A-he can and B-he loves sharing his music to those of us who DO appreciate it, rather than those who would shove their grandmothers out of the way to worship at his feet at a FM concert but don't want anything to do with him in a solo venture. Same guy, SOME of the same music...prices that are...what? 1/3 of FM's? 1/4, in some cases? I guess people don't want a bargain.
perfect post!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangdrum View Post
But I wouldn't want LB to do the interview if it was gonna be unnecessary and icky personal questions. I doubt that would inspire people to go see a show where he spends 20 minutes alone with an acoustic guitar anyway.
well, i guess he'd have to set up some boundaries. but it might have been an extremely interesting interview and would definitely be much more off-the-wall than any we normally see with him. so as a fan i'd love to hear that.

as for your other point, agree that's everybody's decision what trade-offs they are willing to make. but - any publicity is good publicity. look at SN - she had a couple of not-that-great performances (to put it mildly) on mediocre prime-time tv shows but these shows have huge audiences, and each time her CD immediately re-entered the charts - even though most of the tweets during those performances were negative and sometimes downright nasty.

Last edited by elle; 11-01-2011 at 02:17 PM..
Old 11-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Publicity

I must say, for an independent release, LB's management team has done a pretty good job of getting publicity at opportune times (e.g., Jimmy Fallon the night before the DVD is released). It seems like there is more publicity (interviews, TV and radio appearances) for SWS than GOS. I only wish he had a meet n' greet option for US concerts. I also was hoping that he would have played Rock Away Blind on Fallon's show. I think if he had took his guitar with him to Stern's show and played some acoustic numbers, if Stern and his brood weren't fans before, they would have been afterwards.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Absolutley.

Lindsey made the right decision.

Stern would have focused on the Buckingham/Nicks/Fleetwood personal/intimate relationships rather than the music.

Good call Lindsey.

See you Saturday.

Last edited by Edgeof27; 11-02-2011 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Oops I did it again, bad habit.....
Old 11-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeof27 View Post
Lindsay made the right decision.

Stern would have focused on the Buckingham/Nicks/Fleetwood personal/intimate relationships rather than the music.

Good call Lindsay.

See you Saturday.
who's Lindsay?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
who's Lindsay?
Lindsay Hohan. You know her. She wants to star in a movie about Stevie and Fleetweed Mac.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Oops I did it again, bad habit.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
who's Lindsay?
Darn.....