Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default MSG - Oct 6

Anyone at show? I was. I was also at 10.2 in Chicago.

Chicago FAR better. Crowd way more into it. Half of NYC sat for the whole show.

Last night - during Gold Dust Woman. I think John messed up a bit. Could see the look between him and Stevie on it. Ultimate professionals. Did not phase anyone in the band. Killer performance. She danced her ass off!

Stevie also started telling her Gypsy story when Chris was supposed to tell her Over My Head story. Priceless. Lot of interaction between the ladies last night. Loved it.

Look forward to next show - DC!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Msg

I was there. Great show. Wonderful to see Chris back with the band.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Senior Ledgie

I was there too. Fantastic show! I was thrilled with how well the band sounded with Christine back in the mix. The vocals sound so much more full and balanced and the visual of all five up there feels so much more complete. I was so moved when Chris talked about how she was lucky to get a second chance to do all this again. Stevie messing up the "Over My Head" intro was also so funny.

Overall it just felt like so much more of a celebration than it has in years. So glad I could be there to see it!!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
I was there too. Fantastic show! I was thrilled with how well the band sounded with Christine back in the mix. The vocals sound so much more full and balanced and the visual of all five up there feels so much more complete. I was so moved when Chris talked about how she was lucky to get a second chance to do all this again. Stevie messing up the "Over My Head" intro was also so funny.

Overall it just felt like so much more of a celebration than it has in years. So glad I could be there to see it!!
How did Christine sound? From the youtubes she sounds pretty good, but all three sound good on the youtube, which is a good sign..
Old 10-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
Half of NYC sat for the whole show.
I have to agree with that sitting thing – for first half of show I was in 8th row, and everyone was standing and loving it, then had to go back to my (actual) 22nd row seat. From there, people were sitting a lot! I don’t think I’ve ever sat through ISA before!! What! And I was on the aisle – good grief I’ve never seen so many people heading to and fro to get drinks at the bar constantly. Would you people just turn around and watch the show already?! But it was just that kind of older, casual fan crowd (around me, anyway) that were more just ‘having a night out’ than being psyched about any particular song/performance, Christine or any of that. Too bad for them..Oh well, that wasn’t my trip – I had a great time!

It was so great to hear and see Christine and her songs live -She sounded strong, so much energy; in particular, Little Lies was really good. Once again, after a FM concert, I always want to replace all my studio recordings with live ones – their sound and energy always take their songs to a better place.

Christine got a big cheer when she first started with YMLF, and as others have said, her words about returning were sweet and seemed heartfelt.

Overall, Stevie and Lindsey both seemed to have a lightness/happiness about them – They all just ‘looked right’ up there as it used to be. That was cool. Stevie seemed genuinely happy to have Christine there, and Lindsey’s intro to IKINW was really positive – saying how it’s a new chapter that will bear fruit, new music, more tours, etc.

Random notes: (sorry if I repeat things others have said)

I think Lindsey was mouthing the words to part of Dreams at one point, which was amusing.

I don’t get the giant Lindsey head on IKINW. He looked like the great Oz scolding everyone for being doubters of his genius. (lol well, yeah, maybe I do get it! )

All of Christine’s songs, which are in general, to me, on the light and fluffy side, sounded AMAZING live – they really took on some weight in a good way and it was like hearing them for the first time – great experience- OMH got a nice crowd reaction, and LL was really great-

When Stevie accidently preempted Christine with Gypsy, she did it with such good humor – she said ‘we’re still getting used to this!’ which reminded us that it’s kind of all new, all over again for them too, so, I don’t know, it was kind of refreshing to see the highly routinized S&L setlist get shaken up! Good!

Big Love – Of course, pretty great, but I’ve heard it so often now that my favorite part is watching and listening to the reactions from casual fans – they are blown away every time. Having said that, it was not his best rendition. I actually felt like the sound was a little off or guitar not precisely tuned or something – did anyone else think this? I found it distracting, but overall of course, it got huge crowd reaction.

All 3 had a moment or two of raspiness, but otherwise sounded strong and clear, and together, the three voices blended really well as we knew they would!

GDW – Stevie’s vocals great, better than last tour. Love that ending – so theatrical, and she pulls it off so beautifully – in recent Rolling Stone piece, Stevie said that Christine remarked something like how that ending is eerie and reminiscent of when they were all over the top into drugs. I would be the first to say if it was corny, but she really delivers that mood – it sounded so good I expected Mick to come out with a sheet of glass and a hammer—

LB had great interaction with the first few rows. He looked over at Christine with smiles quite a bit. His appearance during Songbird gets a thumbs up from me.

What a different vibe than last tour! As another poster said, last tour was so about the tension and chemistry of S&L (as close to BN as we may ever get), and last night was completely different –more working as a team enjoying performing – kind of like The Dance, except they seemed HAPPY-

That’s my top of mind – sorry so long post!! Have fun to anyone going tonight!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a friend who went to the same show and people are being asked to sit down by the staff WTF??? Yelled at while dancing and having a good time too

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 10-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
I have a friend who went to the same show and people are being asked to sit down by the staff WTF??? Yelled at while dancing and having a good time too
Noooo! I'm going tonight and I will do whatever it takes to get to the front!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Have they been letting people to the front for these past shows?

Putting it nicely, are the "Lindsey girls" being led up to his side when the lights go down?

I only want to know because I haven't bought my tickerts yet snd need to work out my strategy.

Jamie
Old 10-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Ledgie

Yeah they were pretty adamant about keeping the aisles clear - badgering people who went into the aisle to take pictures to get back to their seats...I know they have a job to do, but it seemed like every time we stepped away from our aisle seats even for a minute, here comes that security guy! My advice is when/if you are trying to move up, have a drink in your hand - it seemed that if they thought you were going to/from the bar, they just let you by!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll be there tonight, front and center. No sitting for me!!
Old 10-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

John is experiencing a few hiccups. I'm not entirely sure what happened during GDW but he keeps making a mistake at the end of 'Seven Wonders'. I hope this is just a temporary glitch!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Newday By GLENN GAMBOA, October 7, 2014

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...turn-1.9474606

Fleetwood Mac's flexibility has always been its secret weapon, its three distinctive singers giving it a wide variety of sounds that few bands can match.

That becomes even clearer with the focus on singer/keyboardist Christine McVie at Madison Square Garden Monday night, marking her return to Fleetwood Mac after 17 years of retirement from the road.

With McVie back in the Mac, there is more of a balance of blues and rock. Her rich voice on "You Make Loving Fun" and "Everywhere" is a nice counterpoint to the more aggressive, rocking vocals of Lindsey Buckingham and the more ethereal singing of Stevie Nicks.

And when they all sing together, in the gorgeous "Rhiannon" or "Say You Love Me," it's still magical.

"I've been away for a long time," McVie told the cheering crowd. "You don't often get a chance to do what you love twice in your life."

It's still early in the tour, which launched last week, and they are still working out some pieces. (Fleetwood Mac returns to The Garden Tuesday night and plays Prudential Center on Saturday.) Nicks mistakenly tried to introduce "Over My Head," which was written by McVie, before laughing and yielding the stage, saying, "I don't know the story of this song."

However, the nervousness of such veteran performers just added to the charm of the night, which got stronger the deeper they got into the 2 1/2-hour set. Between Buckingham's epic guitar solos, Mick Fleetwood's massive drumming, John McVie's strong bass work, Nicks' patented spins to punctuate the lovely "Gypsy" and Christine McVie's lush vocals, Fleetwood Mac looked ready to take on what Buckingham has called "their next chapter."

SETLIST: The Chain / You Make Loving Fun / Dreams / Second Hand News / Rhiannon / Everywhere / I Know I'm Not Wrong / Tusk / Sisters of the Moon / Say You Love Me / Seven Wonders / Big Love / Landslide / Never Going Back Again / Over My Head / Gypsy / Little Lies / Gold Dust Woman / I'm So Afraid / Go Your Own Way // ENCORES: World Turning / Don't Stop / Silver Springs / Songbird
Old 10-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By JAIME HOLGUIN - Associated Press - Tuesday, October 7, 2014

NEW YORK (AP) - Their “dream girl” is back.

The members of Fleetwood Mac each took a moment Monday night at New York City’s Madison Square Garden to welcome longtime bandmate Christine McVie back to the stage after a 16-year hiatus, thus restoring the band to its mid-1970s and most successful configuration.

In her trademark gypsy shawl, Stevie Nicks said the dream catchers she casts to the crowd each night finally netted her old friend. Lindsey Buckingham said her return marked “a beautiful, profound and poetic new chapter.” Mick Fleetwood simply looked to the ceiling and shouted “Amen.”

In between, they ripped through all their old hits with a fervor that belied their age.

The band opened with “The Chain,” a song emblematic of Fleetwood Mac’s lasting legacy, despite its many breakups and personal upheavals. The collective power of the three singers’ voices belting out the song’s refrain, “You would never break the chain,” seemed to drown out the quarrels and drug-fueled rancor that tore them apart over the years.

The McVie-penned and long-dormant “You Make Loving Fun” was back on the set list, and upon hearing her sing the opening line, “Sweet, wonderful you,” the crowd erupted in an approving roar. McVie, 71, looked comfortable and happy to be back. Her voice was strong and a welcome presence.

During the band’s concert in New York City last year, guitarist, singer and songwriter Buckingham, singer and songwriter Nicks, drummer Fleetwood, and Christine’s ex-husband and bassist John McVie powered through their catalog of classics. But despite a purposeful performance, it was hard to not feel shortchanged by the exclusion of Christine McVie’s songs.

With her return to the fold this time around, however, the band was free to explore its entire repertoire, including McVie’s songs “Over My Head,” ”Little Lies” and “Everywhere.”

One of the highlights of the night was “Second Hand News,” which the band played with the energy of young musicians playing for their first big break. The 65-year-old Buckingham, especially, attacked the guitar with such intensity and enthusiasm, you’d think it was his first time playing in front of a large audience.

Dressed in skin-tight jeans, he stomped in slow-motion across the stage during a hair-raising guitar solo for “I’m So Afraid,” as the large screen behind the performers zoomed in on his dexterous fingers plucking away at the guitar strings.

While age has not diminished his agility, it has taken a slight toll on Nicks’ voice. “Dreams,” took on a different feel to accommodate her on some of the song’s higher notes. A couple of backup singers helped out with the harder to reach registers and harmonies. But on her other signature songs, like “Silver Springs” and “Landslide,” Nicks’ voice was intact and cut through like a sharpened knife.

The New York show, the first of a two-night stint, is part of a 33-city “On With the Show” tour that started Sept. 30 in Minneapolis and is scheduled to wrap up Dec. 20 in Tampa, Florida.

Buckingham recently told The Associated Press that he, Christine McVie and Fleetwood have tracked some songs for a new album, but their concerted effort to finish it won’t begin until after the tour. For now, the band is content focusing on being back on the road, playing their classic hits with their long lost friend.

“You have to look at the five (of us) as a study in chemistry,” Buckingham told the AP. “What a lot of the fans really bought into was beyond music… it was this beautiful chemistry that they saw between the five of us.”

But the final encore Monday night belonged to only one: McVie. She performed her signature song, “Songbird,” solo on a baby grand piano, with a bit of help from Buckingham on the guitar solo. Her rendition brought the sold-out audience to a hush.

The significance of her return was not lost on her.

“I’ve been away quite a long time and you don’t often get a chance to do something you love so much twice in your life.”

___

Entertainment Writer Mike Cidoni Lennox contributed to this story.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz3FTvH7C7W
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
Old 10-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
When Stevie accidently preempted Christine with Gypsy, she did it with such good humor – she said ‘we’re still getting used to this!’ which reminded us that it’s kind of all new, all over again for them too, so, I don’t know, it was kind of refreshing to see the highly routinized S&L setlist get shaken up! Good!
Thank you for the wonderful review, Juniper. I can't get enough of those details. It is so funny for Stevie to say she doesn't know the background story for Over My Head. Nice save.

Michele
Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

I was there too! It almost feels unnecessary to post a review since so many videos are doing an amazing job capturing the show. I had a VIP ticket but skipped out on going to the M&G after, thankfully, hearing SadAngel86 describe it. For me it was more fun to grab dinner before the show with a friend in NYC and not sit around or stand around while things are disorganized. Actual M&G aside, the seats were wonderful and the show was amazing!!! The last time I saw the "complete" Rumours lineup was Atlantic City, November, 1997! It was a different world at that time. Now, almost everyone has a cell phone, and almost no one has a lighter!

Yes, there were "crickets" chirping before the show began, then the lights lowered. I don't know that I've ever heard why crickets are used. (RATS! I should have gone to the M&G and asked that!)

You all know the set list, you have all the video! What was #1 special about the show was the presence of Christine, who didn't miss a note, who didn't look the least bit nervous and to have the opportunity to hear her singing again LIVE. She looks fabulous! I was also wanting to see John in a major way--he is definitely leaner in appearance, but the man stood his ground the whole time and was grinning and clapping when Christine was introduced. Lis, maybe you'll get your dream ending yet. Of course the other special thing about seeing Fleetwood Mac was the music! And seeing them right in front of you LIVE!

Stevie is beyond happy. She's playful, she's engaging, and she looks not a day over 35 up there. Someone in the front row startled her at the end of Sisters Of The Moon (a noise) and her reaction was priceless. And you guys remember Stevie's Gold Dust Woman performance on Bob Welch's video? The mini skirt and dancing around? Well, it's back and the lady can still "sell it." I remember on the Bob Welch video Stevie said, "FM never lets me play GDW that long." I guess she got her wish this tour. It was wonderful to hear her pull out Sisters and Seven Wonders! From the videos I have seen, it looks as if Stevie is becoming more and more confident with both of those songs. I think Halloween will be quite a night for Sisters. Stevie's performing ability is stronger than ever!

Lindsey is a dynamo! A total consumate performer and he looks particularly handsome in his short black waistcoat. (happy to see the leather jacket and tshirt gone!) Stevie must have told him to "tone it up a bit." We are spoiled, aren't we? We have seen this genious do "Big Love" and "I'm So Afraid" so many times that we are, perhaps, jaded. Lindsey is the guitar master. He puts it all out for the fans every time. The musicians work hard. They play on almost every song--except Lindsey's solo spots. There is no break time for him.

Seriously, the all looked beautiful up on the stage. Mick is still his wild and crazy self--I know there is back up behind the stage for all of them, but Mick does not quit the entire show either. The man has been working out and it shows. I have no idea what he is saying most of the time during World Turning, but he does engage everyone. No vest this time, kids.

I was in the front center area, and it looked like the front and sides of the floor were standing throughout the entire show. Can't speak for the back of the floor as I couldn't see it. The arena was packed out! People were singing and clapping and having a blast. There was a drunk young man in the audience center front, that would periodically climb up on his chair and waving his arms as if to lead the singing. I was waiting for him to topple over onto a rowmate. There was a young lady almost directly in front of Stevie who was holding up a sign frequently during the show that said something to the effect of "STEVIE, It's BRETT'S BIRTHDAY" and was directing Stevie to acknowledge Brett. It's probably best not to try to give Stevie stage directions from the audience. Besides, it apparently blocked the view of a lot of people behind her, but she kept holding it up while the band was actually performing. Bad timing and manners on her part, and, I suspect, she probably mortified Brett. The band ignored her until the end, when Christine said, "I can't read that." People around the young lady were a little more direct about where her sign should have been placed.

Souvenirs? The same shirts that were on the FM selling website. There were mugs, key chains. No tour boooks. This was an outting that was put together, mostly to get the "rust off." They needn't worry: "Fleetwood Mac is back." They are strong! I had a wonderful time catching up with some NYC Fleetwood Mac friends again, too! Don't miss your chance to catch this band! BTW, I passed Joy Behar on the way to my seat! Turns out she's a big FM fan too!