Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

chiliD... I was doing some mp3 editing with Audacity, and decided to make a quick snippet of "Heart Of Stone."
This is right near the very end, and I think Stevie is extremely noticeable on this part.

Let me know what you think!
Attached Files
File Type: zip HOSsnippet.zip (53.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Lindsey was on "Paper Doll"? I didnt realize that. I'll have to go back and listen for him.
Pay close attention to the voice behind Stevie's on the word, "else."
Attached Files
File Type: zip PDsnippet.zip (62.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know thats funny I have always listened to Paper Doll and thought to myself "MY GOD THAT SO SOUNDS LIKE LINDSEY SINGING!" and then I look back at the dates and all, and I told myself...well it couldnt be because he was out of the group then...so I had no idea he was on it...wow thats cool...because I had always wondered how rick and billy sounded so much like lindsey there

Chris
Old 08-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl
You know thats funny I have always listened to Paper Doll and thought to myself "MY GOD THAT SO SOUNDS LIKE LINDSEY SINGING!" and then I look back at the dates and all, and I told myself...well it couldnt be because he was out of the group then...so I had no idea he was on it...wow thats cool...because I had always wondered how rick and billy sounded so much like lindsey there
In a 1992 interview with Timothy White for Billboard, Lindsey mentioned that he and Stevie had agreed to go into the studio with Fleetwood Mac to contribute to some new material.

We've since learned that the basic tracks for "Paper Doll" were recorded circa 1988, when the song was being considered for inclusion on 'Greatest Hits' (Mick preferred "No Questions Asked" though).
It's possible that Stevie overdubbed some new vocals for the 'Chain' version, but, at the very least, Lindsey definitely overdubbed some backing vocals to the track.
I assume he's only singing though, and not also contributing to the guitar parts.

"Love Shines" and "Heart Of Stone" were both recorded with Chris, Mick, John and Billy Burnette as the only members.
I don't hear either Lindsey or Stevie on "Love Shines," but I do hear Stevie on "Heart Of Stone," so her backing vocals must have been added later, per Lindsey's statement that he and she had both agreed to contribue in some way to the new songs.

Rick stated in his Q&A, that "Paper Doll" is the only new song on 'The Chain' that he's playing on.

Lindsey's track ("Make Me A Mask") was a leftover from the 'Out Of The Cradle' sessions, and I think it's pretty safe to assume that he's the only member playing on that track.

So basically:

"Paper Doll":
Vocals - Stevie
Keyboards & Backing Vocals - Christine
Lead Guitars & Backing Vocals - Rick
Rhythm Guitar & Backing Vocals - Billy
Drums - Mick
Bass - John
Additional Backing Vocals - Lindsey

"Love Shines":
Keyboards & Vocals - Christine
Guitars & Backing Vocals - Billy
Drums - Mick
Bass - John

"Heart Of Stone":
Keyboards & Vocals - Christine
Guitars & Backing Vocals - Billy
Drums - Mick
Bass - John
Additional Backing Vocals - Stevie

"Make Me A Mask":
All Instruments & Vocals - Lindsey
Old 08-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
We've since learned that the basic tracks for "Paper Doll" were recorded circa 1988, when the song was being considered for inclusion on 'Greatest Hits' (Mick preferred "No Questions Asked" though). It's possible that Stevie overdubbed some new vocals for the 'Chain' version, but, at the very least, Lindsey definitely overdubbed some backing vocals to the track. I assume he's only singing though, and not also contributing to the guitar parts.
If you listen to it, you'd think he had something to do with the arrangement & production, too. It's loose & airy. It ain't the same band that's slogging its way through "Behind the Mask" -- that's fer shizzle.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
If you listen to it, you'd think he had something to do with the arrangement & production, too. It's loose & airy. It ain't the same band that's slogging its way through "Behind the Mask" -- that's fer shizzle.
I think the difference is that Richard Dashut produced "Paper Doll," while Greg Ladanyi produced "No Questions Asked," and 'Behind The Mask.'

Funny/sad thing is, Ladanyi got a terrific sound for "As Long As You Follow," in my opinion... it's just too bad that the other Ladanyi-produced tracks didn't have that same sparkle and airyness.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

While we're on the subject, I've often wondered about the 'Greatest Hits' sessions.

Ladanyi produced "As Long As You Follow" and "No Questions Asked," of course. And Dashut produced "Paper Doll."
So after Rick revealed that "PD" was actually recorded and intended for 'Greatest Hits,' I've wondered about that timeline.

Did the band start out working with Richard Dashut, and then move on to Greg Ladanyi for whatever reason?

Did Dashut start the sessions before having to leave for other commitments, so Ladanyi was brought in to replace him?

Was the band working with both Ladanyi AND Dashut simultaneously, with Ladanyi helming "No Questions Asked" after it was decided to abandon the Dashut-produced "Paper Doll"?

And where does Don Gehman fit into all of this?
When Rolling Stone did a news blurb on Stevie in mid-1988, it mentioned that she was working with Rupert Hine on her next solo album, and that Fleetwood Mac would be recording two new songs with producer Don Gehman, for their 'Greatest Hits' album slated for release later that year.

Lastly, why was "Paper Doll" dropped in the first place? Did Mick really prefer "No Questions Asked," or was it the fact that one of the "new boys" would have a co-writing credit right out of the gate, on a greatest hits package that could potentially sell millions?
Old 08-26-2004, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew

"Paper Doll":
Vocals - Stevie
Keyboards & Backing Vocals - Christine
Lead Guitars & Backing Vocals - Rick
Rhythm Guitar & Backing Vocals - Billy
Drums - Mick
Bass - John
Additional Backing Vocals - Lindsey
Didn't Lindsey also add a little guitar to "Paper Doll"? I assume that he and Richard Dashut didn't get involved with this track until around 1992.

And, I agree about "Heart Of Stone". That's definitely Stevie on backing vocals on the song.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Somehow I can't help but wonder if Lindsey's participation on "Behind the Mask" and "Time" were driven by contractual obligations versus an actual artistic desire to be on those recordings. Especially considering Lindsey's unusual trademark guitar playing style, it just seems that his contributions were just kind of perfunctory and tossed in almost as an afterthought. It's almost as if he was saying "okay, here is my guitar part, now leave me alone."

Lindsey's voluntary willingness to participate on BTM seems somewhat unlikely considering the double diss of replacing him with Billy and Rick and then going on tour with them behind "Tango," which was essentially Lindsey's baby. And then there is that whole infamous slapping-Stevie incident fresh on everybody's mind... Considering that BTM was recorded in 1989, barely two years after the blowouts, I think the wounds would have still been too raw.

And Lindsey's voluntary willingness to participate on "Time" is even more improbable. This is an album that even Christine seemed loathe to participate in; it is even doubtful that she was even in the same room as the rest of the band during the recording sessions. Being recorded in 1994-1995, this was scarcely two years after Mick's vicious tell-all book. Again the wounds were still raw. And more recently in the press, Lindsey, has tactfully stated that the reason he reunited with FM for "The Dance" was that he wanted the dignity and status restored to the Fleetwood Mac franchise after becoming an opening act for REO Speedwagon (or something to that effect). Ouch! Obviously he was not a fan of this lineup.

I suspect that he had signed a multi-album deal with Warners (with FM and as a solo act) and, considering his lack of output even as a solo artist, he was probably under pressure to fulfill his contractual obligations within a certain number of years. And I suspect that appearing on these FM albums, albeit, in the most insidious manner possible, was the easiest way to keep the legal eagles off of his back. He just wanted to be done with FM, and this was the most expedient way of washing his hands clean. This is just my speculation, of course!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC
Lindsey's voluntary willingness to participate on BTM seems somewhat unlikely considering the double diss of replacing him with Billy and Rick and then going on tour with them behind "Tango," which was essentially Lindsey's baby. And then there is that whole infamous slapping-Stevie incident fresh on everybody's mind... Considering that BTM was recorded in 1989, barely two years after the blowouts, I think the wounds would have still been too raw.
I think those wounds were still raw, but I don't think Lindsey was under any legal obligation to add a guitar part or two on "Behind the Mask." I think he did that as a show of good faith -- a nice little way to wish the rest of the band well -- the same reason essentially that drove him to participate in the last two shows of the 1990 tour at the Oakland Arena & Inglewood Forum. (Interestingly enough, it was Christine McVie, not Lindsey Buckingham, who saved the show in Oakland.)
Quote:
And Lindsey's voluntary willingness to participate on "Time" is even more improbable. This is an album that even Christine seemed loathe to participate in; it is even doubtful that she was even in the same room as the rest of the band during the recording sessions. Being recorded in 1994-1995, this was scarcely two years after Mick's vicious tell-all book.
About four years after the book, really. For my part, I don't see Lindsey's work on "Time" (I hesitate even to call it work because it's so minor) as anything more than a friendly gesture. With Dashut producing, it doesn't seem wildly improbable to me for Buckingham to have visited one day -- maybe to hear the mixes -- & add some guitar. This is rock & roll! It happens all the time! People -- musicians especially -- love to get involved, even with people with whom they're still working out troubled relationships. Remember that Lindsey started working with Mick again in 1995 ... & loved it.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
With Dashut producing, it doesn't seem wildly improbable to me for Buckingham to have visited one day -- maybe to hear the mixes -- & add some guitar. This is rock & roll! It happens all the time! People -- musicians especially -- love to get involved, even with people with whom they're still working out troubled relationships.
Makes sense to me! Kind like how Lindsey has a credit for guitar on Trouble In Shangri La on... I can't remember the song... Linds probably doesn't either.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=David] (Interestingly enough, it was Christine McVie, not Lindsey Buckingham, who saved the show in Oakland.)
[QUOTE]

What do you mean David?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
What do you mean David?
Christine infused those rather lackluster shows with warmth & commitment. Lindsey wasn't really onstage long enough to generate anything more than a briefly exciting blur.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:52 PM

I remember she really stole the show in Cleveland, but no LB there.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Btm

David, What songs did Lindsey perform on during those two shows? I've always been curious about what his demeanor was, whether it seemed like he really wanted to be there, how Stevie acted towards him etc. Were these shows before or after Mick's book came out, sorry I cannot remember what year his tell all was published.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey