The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Kenny Loggins recounts Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, and musical adventure ‘at the mov

Wanted to share in case anyone missed it. From the Stevie Nicks Info site
https://stevienicks.info/2022/06/wha...me-was-stevie/

Kenny Loggins recounts Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, and musical adventure ‘at the movies’ in breezy new memoir
Kenny Loggins‘ new autobiography Still Alright: A Memoir is out today from Hachette Books. Kenny writes about his prolific, 40+ years in music, including his massive solo career, which he initially feared was on the rocks until the one-and-only Stevie Nicks came along to save the day.

In the memoir, Kenny looks back on his long music career, highlighted by a successful run in the ’70s duo Loggins & Messina and blockbuster solo career in the ’80s, which produced the iconic and enduring movie hits “I’m Alright” (from Caddyshack), “Footloose” (from Footloose), “Danger Zone” (from Top Gun).

The singer-songwriter embraces his current status as a self-dubbed “legacy act,” which still sells out thousands of theater seats on a regular basis. He also takes his role in the “yacht rock” phenomenon — light, breezy, and melodic music from the ’70s and ’80s that might be heard while sailing on said yacht — in stride. He argues, “at the very least, [it] helped introduce our music to a new generation,” inspiring podcasts and other related discussion around his soundtrack hits and more.

Stevie Nicks’ generosity spared me from falling off the map.

Most importantly for Stevie Nicks fans, Kenny devotes several pages to opening for Fleetwood Mac during their 1977 Rumours tour. He spills the tea on Fleetwood Mac’s notorious party excesses, which, of course, has been well-documented in media and retrospective documentaries since then. Having lived through the rock-and-roll decadence and debauchery firsthand with the band, Kenny corroborates, “I’m here to tell you they’re not exaggerated.” He was also a willing participant, as “there was cocaine everywhere,” he writes in the book. “I can’t pretend that I didn’t partake. It was almost impossible not to.”

Kenny also remembers the “Stevie-ites,” or the female friends and groupies, who accompanied Stevie everywhere, giving him “the impression of a buffet table of delicious possibilities.” Despite the alluring nature of the entourage, he says “they were simply Stevie’s traveling companions, there for her emotional support.”

The Grammy-award-winning artist credits Stevie for saving his solo career, notably for working with her on their Billboard Top 5 duet “Whenever I Call You Friend.” After his debut album Celebrate Me Home (released just a few months after Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours in April 1977) received harsh critiques from some music critics, the hit single instantly changed the critical narrative, leading to a string of Top 40 singles. “I always say that I have Stevie and [“Whenever I Call You Friend”] to thank for breaking me through as a solo artist,” Kenny explains with gratitude. “So many musicians emerge from duos or bands and immediately fall off the map; Stevie’s generosity spared me from that.”

Still Alright is available now digitally and in hardcover. Revisit some of Kenny Loggins’ vast music catalog below.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That was nice of him to say!

Thanks, Kenny! Did you film any stage appearances with Stevie? Please look through your file cabinet.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-16-2022, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That was nice of him to say!

Thanks, Kenny! Did you film any stage appearances with Stevie? Please look through your file cabinet.
Thats a good question. Has Whenever I call you friend ever been performed live with Stevie? I have never seen or heard they have. I saw a Kenny concert from the early 80s on HBO and hoped Stevie was going to show up, but no
Old 06-16-2022, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Thats a good question. Has Whenever I call you friend ever been performed live with Stevie? I have never seen or heard they have. I saw a Kenny concert from the early 80s on HBO and hoped Stevie was going to show up, but no :
(
Yes they did perform live together. We have pictures of it. As for Kenny saying he was never romantic with Stevie, we have a pic of the two of them kissing at a table.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixgypsy View Post

Kenny also remembers the “Stevie-ites,” or the female friends and groupies, who accompanied Stevie everywhere, giving him “the impression of a buffet table of delicious possibilities.” Despite the alluring nature of the entourage, he says “they were simply Stevie’s traveling companions, there for her emotional support.”

hmmm.... this reads like he was imagining there were girl orgies going on but alas, no, they were just her traveling companions there for her EMOTIONAL needs, not her physical needs.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
hmmm.... this reads like he was imagining there were girl orgies going on but alas, no, they were just her traveling companions there for her EMOTIONAL needs, not her physical needs.
I read it as though the buffet was for him(and any other men).
Old 06-17-2022, 05:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Yes they did perform live together. We have pictures of it. As for Kenny saying he was never romantic with Stevie, we have a pic of the two of them kissing at a table.
I imagine that since they toured together twice there are pictures of them on stage together. I swear there was a thread here years ago that Whenever I call you friend was never performed live with Stevie. At least there are no recordings of it? You would think a recording would have surfaced by now. But its also possible the recordings exist and not released. I would love to hear it live.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I imagine that since they toured together twice there are pictures of them on stage together. I swear there was a thread here years ago that Whenever I call you friend was never performed live with Stevie. At least there are no recordings of it? You would think a recording would have surfaced by now. But its also possible the recordings exist and not released. I would love to hear it live.
Unless some rare clip magically resurfaces, the only known ones from back in the day are Kenny singing the song with some dude doing Stevie's part, and then a lip sync with a Dutch singer named Kimm Hekker.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
Unless some rare clip magically resurfaces, the only known ones from back in the day are Kenny singing the song with some dude doing Stevie's part, and then a lip sync with a Dutch singer named Kimm Hekker.

Damn, I will say that that guy KILLS IT. He's a bad ass. Anyone know who he is? I sort of looks like George Hawkins.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Damn, I will say that that guy KILLS IT. He's a bad ass. Anyone know who he is? I sort of looks like George Hawkins.
Yep, that is George. He was Kenny’s bassist throughout the 1978 tour. Stevie showed up with Kenny at the New York Palladium, I believe, in October 1978. I think Rolling Stone ran a Random Note about it a few weeks later.

I think she made another appearance with him in September 1979 at the Greek in Berkeley, a few weeks before Mac went on the road. Nobody seems to have audio of either of these — except Mr. Loggins (?)

1978–79 was a great time to catch Stevie on other people’s stages. She showed up with Walter Egan and John Stewart and Bob Welch and Todd Rundgren and others, adding a little witchy-poo joy juice for the fans.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-17-2022, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yep, that is George. He was Kenny’s bassist throughout the 1978 tour. Stevie showed up with Kenny at the New York Palladium, I believe, in October 1978. I think Rolling Stone ran a Random Note about it a few weeks later.

I think she made another appearance with him in September 1979 at the Greek in Berkeley, a few weeks before Mac went on the road. Nobody seems to have audio of either of these — except Mr. Loggins (?)

1978–79 was a great time to catch Stevie on other people’s stages. She showed up with Walter Egan and John Stewart and Bob Welch and Todd Rundgren and others, adding a little witchy-poo joy juice for the fans.
I always thought George(RIP) used a little too much vibrato for my taste, but he sure had the pipes.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I read it as though the buffet was for him(and any other men).
Yes, i think those were the possibilities he entertained, but I think they weren't accessible to him, from the way he worded it.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, i think those were the possibilities he entertained, but I think they weren't accessible to him, from the way he worded it.
Must have been an expensive buffet! Filet mignon and the like.

There's an old joke about someone wanting to sleep with a member of the band, then they find out that they were only sleeping with the bass player.