User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Really? Lindsey ruins it for me at the end with his high pitched shrill screaming. My favorite is the one from Rumours, or the one from the Mirage tour video. *amazing*

That said, I don't *ever* listen to The Dance anymore, but it got a ton of stereo time in '97.
my favorite is actually the one without FM (talking about breaking the chain ) - LB / LBT version from CMT crossroads as well as their jamming/rehearsal version that can be heard on CMT site is really great.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Computers in 1997 ??? Wireless phones in 1997 ???

Photoshop in 1997??? 1997 was the dark ages !!!
well, i communicated via email in 1991 and was using various gopher and similar "browsers" of that time not long after (pre-Netscape! anyone remembers Netscape?). (i'm dating myself i realize lol)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Really? Lindsey ruins it for me at the end with his high pitched shrill screaming. My favorite is the one from Rumours, or the one from the Mirage tour video. *amazing*

That said, I don't *ever* listen to The Dance anymore, but it got a ton of stereo time in '97.
The definitive live version of The Chain for me, hands down, is the one from the Mirage video.

On the Tusk tour, The Chain was performed much slower, with a dirge-like pace.

On the the Mirage tour it was performed at a faster, urgent pace. Stevie's wail at the end of the first chorus never ceases to give me the chills. Lindsey and Stevie almost seem like they are having an argument as they sing/yell back and forth and over each another. It has a very Jefferson Airplane (Grace Slick/Marty Balin) feel to it. It's just so full with tension and wild energy.

Still, The Dance version is good. It's all cleaned up and smoothed over with the addition of the mini- mac back up players/singers. But it's too safe and somewhat tepid. I actually prefer the Billy and Rick performance of the song over that one.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-09-2013 at 01:33 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

I love the energy in the Mirage version.

I love the attitude in The Dance one more, personally, though I agree on the shrieking point

Oh and wow, Tusk is like slow motion!

Last edited by bluecalmsea; 02-09-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

http://www.cmt.com/videos/misc/12368...he-chain.jhtml

and unplugged rehearsal -

http://www.cmt.com/videos/misc/12581...he-chain.jhtml

Old 02-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecalmsea View Post
I love the energy in the Mirage version.

comments from my 9 yo while watching this version:

[while lindsey yelling chain lyrics] "what is he doing?"
[noticing Christine] "how come they have 2 girls?"
[listening to "never break the chain" lyrics after i explained Christine left] "she sure doesn't care about these lyrics does she?"

Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
comments from my 9 yo while watching this version:

[while lindsey yelling chain lyrics] "what is he doing?"
[noticing Christine] "how come they have 2 girls?"
[listening to "never break the chain" lyrics after i explained Christine left] "she sure doesn't care about these lyrics does she?"
That kid knows what's up!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Computers in 1997 ??? Wireless phones in 1997 ???

Photoshop in 1997??? 1997 was the dark ages !!!
I think I went online in the Prodigy forums in 1992, but for a long time after that I didn't understand what the www was and I didn't know how to navigate outside of Prodigy, Compuserve, and AOL. Genie, Delphi. I paid for many different online services. I just stayed inside their walled gardens and didn't realize there was a wider internet. I didn't see pictures online really either, just text. That may have lasted for 5 years.

Michele
Old 02-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
No problem. I wonder what was analogous between the history of the paintng and the history of the band. It's not evident from the brief write ups I have read on Matisse and the painting, and I haven't dug any further. Anyone know?
I don't think it has a specific story like Double Suicide. I don't think it was inspired by any particular human beings or events. I think perhaps FM, or Lindsey, thinks that they do with music what Matisse was trying to do with dance, trying to show how it is really primitive and the same now as it was years ago and is universal, instinctive, not learned or something only accomplished by professionals or artists. I mean, it probably appealed to Lindsey in the same sense that he calls himself a reformed primitive.

Matisse said he was inspired by seeing fishermen in 1905 doing a circle dance on a beach. You go different places and see different people and they are all doing the same thing, at heart. And it's been the same for decades and centuries.

Also, Matisse was going through a phase where he was just using cut-outs, forms of people or bodies, and creating a whole by putting those simple cut-outs against more intricate, colorful backgrounds. The elements of the painting didn't arise together. They were put together. So, you start off with something very simple, individual pieces, and you layer them into a more complicated whole and I think that's what Fleetwood Mac does. And is.

Michele
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think I went online in the Prodigy forums in 1992
Michele
Blows my mind! I didnt even know of the internet's existence until 97-ish...
Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Yep. True story. I still listen to the album, it probably gets just as many listens from me as Rumours.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Blows my mind! I didnt even know of the internet's existence until 97-ish...
i remember that you could access and search some science sites like CAS from libraries of some universities for an outrageous per minute fee back in the 80s.

not sure whether all's correct here since it's wikipedia but some interesting read -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...note-stats1-27
"TCP/IP network access expanded again in 1986 when the National Science Foundation Network (NSFNET) provided access to supercomputer sites in the United States from research and education organizations, first at 56 kbit/s and later at 1.5 Mbit/s and 45 Mbit/s.[18] Commercial internet service providers (ISPs) began to emerge in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The ARPANET was decommissioned in 1990. The Internet was commercialized in 1995 when NSFNET was decommissioned, removing the last restrictions on the use of the Internet to carry commercial traffic.[19] The Internet started a rapid expansion to Europe and Australia in the mid to late 1980s[20][21] and to Asia in the late 1980s and early 1990s.[22]"

Old 02-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow I love this! Thanks for posting elle!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
i remember that you could access and search some science sites like CAS from libraries of some universities for an outrageous per minute fee back in the 80s.
I just had a chat with my bro and he said we got the internet in late '96. Evidently mom and dad only allowed us to use it for email.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think I went online in the Prodigy forums in 1992, but for a long time after that I didn't understand what the www was and I didn't know how to navigate outside of Prodigy, Compuserve, and AOL. Genie, Delphi. I paid for many different online services. I just stayed inside their walled gardens and didn't realize there was a wider internet. I didn't see pictures online really either, just text. That may have lasted for 5 years.

Michele
And now Google has killed it all!

Quote:
I don't think it has a specific story like Double Suicide. I don't think it was inspired by any particular human beings or events. I think perhaps FM, or Lindsey, thinks that they do with music what Matisse was trying to do with dance, trying to show how it is really primitive and the same now as it was years ago and is universal, instinctive, not learned or something only accomplished by professionals or artists. I mean, it probably appealed to Lindsey in the same sense that he calls himself a reformed primitive.

Matisse said he was inspired by seeing fishermen in 1905 doing a circle dance on a beach. You go different places and see different people and they are all doing the same thing, at heart. And it's been the same for decades and centuries.

Also, Matisse was going through a phase where he was just using cut-outs, forms of people or bodies, and creating a whole by putting those simple cut-outs against more intricate, colorful backgrounds. The elements of the painting didn't arise together. They were put together. So, you start off with something very simple, individual pieces, and you layer them into a more complicated whole and I think that's what Fleetwood Mac does. And is.

Michele
Fascinating!