Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have no problem with Lindsey playing political fundraisers. I do find it tiresome when performers pontificate about politics to audiences at rock concerts, but a fundraiser? As FuzzyPlum said, they can do what they want "on their own time." Whether or not he shares my political opinion is irrelevant.

However, I do wonder if everyone here would be so "who cares what the performer's political opinions are" if Lindsey were playing a Trump fundraiser!

Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Freakazoid View Post
Gotta chime in on this one...

With artists, they put out there their personal stuff. That's whats make's them the artists that we love. That we support with our 'fandom'. When an artist, notably, singer/songwriters, display their guts and heart over personal episodes in their lives thru their music/writings - isn't that what connects us to them? So when you ask that artist to remain one dimensional (tell me how you've suffered cuz I can relate), how can you groove on who they are?
When artists put themselves open for display - that's vulnerable. And that's what is so gravitational.
However, to pigeonhole an artist to perform as you what them to, is repugnant. If not insulting to who puts themselves out there 'just to entertain' you.
Artists are not 'on demand'.
Perhaps, but I object to being lectured to - I find that to be repugnant, especially when it's on my dime.
I'm a patron who doesn't want to be patronized and told what to do by a guy whose expertise is strumming a six-string or any other instrument.
I don't care how 'vulnerable' they feel, particularly when none of the Macsters can claim to be 'starving artists'.

And I'm sorry but these are PAID professionals ordinarily under contract so yes they are indeed 'on demand'.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
Perhaps, but I object to being lectured to - I find that to be repugnant, especially when it's on my dime.
I'm a patron who doesn't want to be patronized and told what to do by a guy whose expertise is strumming a six-string or any other instrument.
Not to state the obvious, but Lindsey’s expertise is fingerpicking a six-string, not strumming.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Not to state the obvious, but Lindsey’s expertise is fingerpicking a six-string, not strumming.
Haha, I wasn't speaking specifically about Lindsey.
I must have had Jimmy Buffet on my mind...

Old 06-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I have no problem with Lindsey playing political fundraisers. I do find it tiresome when performers pontificate about politics to audiences at rock concerts, but a fundraiser? As FuzzyPlum said, they can do what they want "on their own time." Whether or not he shares my political opinion is irrelevant.

However, I do wonder if everyone here would be so "who cares what the performer's political opinions are" if Lindsey were playing a Trump fundraiser!
A very good point hahaha

I legit wish Linds and Kanye would collab

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

It sounds like Lindsey has lost his perspective.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands of time View Post
????Really, why so????

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-15-2018, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands of time View Post
Please elucidate?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He's using his talent for something he believes in, I respect that.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Do you think he believed in Hillary Clinton?

I'd guess its the overall principles he believes in; fairness, equality and supporting the less fortunate.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think political debate belongs in Chit Chat. I'd really like to be spared the predictable exchange of each party's talking points.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I think political debate belongs in Chit Chat. I'd really like to be spared the predictable exchange of each party's talking points.
I agree. I'd rather not see partisan politics being bandied about in the main forums.

Wherever Lindsey performs, I hope we learn more specifically about what happened and what his plans are for the future.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
I'm a fan of the man's music but definitely not of his politics. Of course, it's his right to express his views but he's apparently becoming more of an activist.
I think he's an amazing talent who was treated shabbily by the band but at this point I don't think I'll further patronize him.
Ok because he doesn't share your political views you are going to dump him as an artist???? Holy freaking crap.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No more political retorts in this thread. Take it to Chit Chat.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

http://www.latimes.com/politics/esse...htmlstory.html

By MICHAEL LIVINGSTON
Lindsey Buckingham to headline star-studded fundraiser for Democratic candidates

Lindsey Buckingham will perform at a meet-and-greet fundraiser for Democratic congressional hopefuls.
Lindsey Buckingham will perform at a meet-and-greet fundraiser for Democratic congressional hopefuls. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)
A star-studded fundraiser for Democratic candidates in key House races is scheduled for next month.

Former Fleetwood Mac lead guitarist Lindsey Buckingham will perform at the Los Angeles home of California Coastal Commissioner Chair Dayna Bochco on July 31.

The event’s co-hosts include directors Cameron Crowe and Callie Khouri, affordable housing developer Tom Safran, producers Doug Wick and Bill Mechanic and “Game of Thrones” co-creator David Benioff.

“The road to take back the House of Representatives runs through California,” Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Torrance) wrote in an email invitation. “You can meet all eight of our wonderful red-to-blue candidates in one place … eight terrific candidates. Awesome songs. Amazing people.”

Donations will go to the newly created California Candidates Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee for these congressional hopefuls in the state: Gil Cisneros, T.J. Cox, Josh Harder, Katie Hill, Mike Levin and Katie Porter.

The candidates are all competing in races former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton won in 2016. Andrew Janz also is participating in the fundraiser. He’s running against Rep. Devin Nunes in the 22nd Congressional District, which Clinton lost.

There is still a contested race between real estate investor Harley Rouda and stem cell scientist Hans Keirstead in the 48th Congressional District race. On Friday afternoon, only 20 votes separated the two candidates. Whoever is declared the victor will get a portion the funds raised at this event.
bumping since this is tonight. hope we get to hear something about it, at least on KB insta.

don't know of anyone who is actually going, as far as i know tickets for this were not publicly available.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"