Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default A suggestion on how to get Stevie on the next FM album

We all agree Stevie doesn't want to record new songs with FM for a variety of reasons. However, there is a possible solution to this- what if the band agreed to pick 3 Stevie songs from the Buckingham Nicks album to put on the new FM album? Stevie already did this once, when she put Long Distance Winner on her Enchanted box set. It's been, what, 45 years since BN came out? It's never going to be rereleased at this point. If they put 3 Stevie songs on the new album, it would save a ton of time because they wouldn't have to record them again. Or, if they wanted, they could quickly add Christine's voice into the chorus, I'm sure Stevie would be ok with that and it still wouldn't take long.

I think Stevie would agree with this idea, it would mean not having to record with them again, it would take little time, it would expose a whole new generation and longtime fans to her music, and she could sing them live when they go on tour, like she did with Crying in the Night.

But would the fans be ok with this? I think it's a realistic idea that shows compromise on both sides.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Ledgie

Smile

It's not an awful idea, but at that point I would rather have more new songs from Chris and Lindsey.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that Stevie could be amenable if Lindsey does not overproduce her songs. She wants to be in and out of the studio (like 24 Karat Gold). She does not want to argue over a verb tense that she used. So I think if LB could agree to accept certain parts of her songs and make suggestions in a sparing way, she might agree.

As for songs, it's odd to think she has not been writing at all. I am ok with using some stuff she wrote already but not if it was already on BN. Although I did think having a studio version of Fireflies could be fitting for this record.

I don't know if she has another 24 Karat Gold planned because she finished her contract. But she did not need 16 songs on there. I feel she can take some and see if LB can be quick about recording them and not change them too much. It would be great to consider Julia, Forest of the Black Roses, Fireflies, Sanctuary and some others that sound like LB's Mac flare can be added in a delicate way.

I know they would not use If You Were My Love but damn, that Mirage outtake is brilliant!

I wish she would have worked with Christine. The all girl composition has been missing. And you hear the brilliance on the Rumours demo of Oh Daddy. Damn they missed an opportunity.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Registered

when did the band "officially " announce she absolutely , positively unequivocally not contributing to the new record
Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

Last we heard a few years ago, the multitrack masters are still missing. This would pose a problem in adding parts from the rest of the band.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I don't think song selection has anything to do with why Stevie is reluctant to join the Mac in the studio. Its not a variety of reasons either. Its Lindsey. I think re-recording Buckingham Nicks would actually create more drama if that is even possible. I was listening to a rare interview with Stevie and how during the 2009 tour her and Lindsey did not get along and it was a miserable tour. They never spoke and if they did, it was a fight.
Time is running out for Stevie to join the Mac in the studio although its still possible. With Stevie going to Europe later this year and extending her tour does make it look like she will not be in the studio with them. Maybe the group will release it without her or wait until the tour is over in case Stevie wants to be on the record. On another note, this is the LAST studio album and the FIRST studio album with these members since 1982. What a waste of time to re-release songs or re-record them. I vote new material on every song. Did I mention this is the LAST Mac album and the FIRST album with these 5 members since 1982?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-08-2017 at 10:39 AM..
Old 01-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Did I mention this is the LAST Mac album and the FIRST album with these 5 members since 1982?

It's probably the last album but I don't think we can say that for absolute certain. If Mick, Chris, Lindsey and John can get an album out then there's still a chance Stevie will want to do one last album at a later date (Particularly if MCLJ album sees relative success).
Oh, also, it's not the first since 1982. Its the first since 1987.

I'd vote against Buckingham Nicks songs. If she cant be assed to be on the album there's no point in playing around with old songs. It needs to be new and fresh.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think song selection has anything to do with why Stevie is reluctant to join the Mac in the studio. Its not a variety of reasons either. Its Lindsey. I think re-recording Buckingham Nicks would actually create more drama if that is even possible. I was listening to a rare interview with Stevie and how during the 2009 tour her and Lindsey did not get along and it was a miserable tour. They never spoke and if they did, it was a fight.
Time is running out for Stevie to join the Mac in the studio although its still possible. With Stevie going to Europe later this year and extending her tour does make it look like she will not be in the studio with them. Maybe the group will release it without her or wait until the tour is over in case Stevie wants to be on the record. On another note, this is the LAST studio album and the FIRST studio album with these members since 1982. What a waste of time to re-release songs or re-record them. I vote new material on every song. Did I mention this is the LAST Mac album and the FIRST album with these 5 members since 1982?
Instead of rerecording her songs from BN, they could also just put the 3 songs on the new album untouched. Either way, rerecorded or not, Stevie would still be represented on the album. Really, it seems like a win for everyone- the band, the studio, and the fans. Even another idea mentioned, rerecording other tracks like Fireflies, for example, is a great idea. I just question if Stevie would do that, given her lack of participation thus far.

And I must be misinterpreting your comments about first and last studio albums- why did you leave out Rumours and FM?
Old 01-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Instead of rerecording her songs from BN, they could also just put the 3 songs on the new album untouched. Either way, rerecorded or not, Stevie would still be represented on the album. Really, it seems like a win for everyone- the band, the studio, and the fans. Even another idea mentioned, rerecording other tracks like Fireflies, for example, is a great idea. I just question if Stevie would do that, given her lack of participation thus far.

And I must be misinterpreting your comments about first and last studio albums- why did you leave out Rumours and FM?
But a ~good~ album needs to have a cohesive sound, and I highly doubt that would be the case, if they just slapped 3 of her self produced things on there.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
It's probably the last album but I don't think we can say that for absolute certain. If Mick, Chris, Lindsey and John can get an album out then there's still a chance Stevie will want to do one last album at a later date (Particularly if MCLJ album sees relative success).
Oh, also, it's not the first since 1982. Its the first since 1987.

I'd vote against Buckingham Nicks songs. If she cant be assed to be on the album there's no point in playing around with old songs. It needs to be new and fresh.
Its always easy for me to forget Tango
Because Tango was really a Lindsey solo album and Stevie was brushed in, I still stand by my 1982 statement
Old 01-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post

I don't think Stevie would go for unauthorized release of her songs. The album would be so choppy with sound too.
I don't understand what you mean about leaving out Rumours. I was saying this could be the last group effort and the first one since Mirage. You can say Tango 1987 but most of the songs were done by Lindsey and it was his solo album. Plus Stevie was not there and brushed in. So its hard for me to count it as a group effort. I would like to see one final GROUP effort.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Its always easy for me to forget Tango
Because Tango was really a Lindsey solo album and Stevie was brushed in, I still stand by my 1982 statement

No, Tango is every bit a Fleetwood Mac album featuring all 5. It may be easy for some to forget if they don't appreciate that album but its definitely an 'all 5' album. At worst it was a Lindsey/Christine collaboration (which the next album is also due to be).
Old 01-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would like to see one final GROUP effort.

So would we all. It seems likely we may have to wait until the afterlife.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
No, Tango is every bit a Fleetwood Mac album featuring all 5. It may be easy for some to forget if they don't appreciate that album but its definitely an 'all 5' album. At worst it was a Lindsey/Christine collaboration (which the next album is also due to be).

After Mirage the Mac Albums started as Lindsey solo albums and became MAC albums. It is what it is. This next release will be no different. It's ok just get the music out! I still believe Stevie will be on it.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
It is what it is. .
Yeah, bloody great and their second most successful album ever.
With Stevie not interested I'd be over the moon to have Tango In The Night 2 (sans SN). Hell, open the album with You and I Part 3!