Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Supremes

I want to start a thread about the Supremes. Yes, we know the hits, but IMO their album The Supremes Sing Rodgers and Hart is one of the finest albums ever recorded, second only to Judy at Carnegie Hall.

The most famous lineup of Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, and Flo Ballard, lasted from 1961-1967 and is responsible for their most well-known hits. Flo was fired in 1967 and replaced by Cindy Birdsong (who left Patti LaBelle & the Blue Bells to join them; Patti was pissed for a long time). The group continued with Cindy as Diana Ross & the Supremes until Ross left in 1970.

Jean Terrell took over as lead singer and the group had a few more hits. Jean and Cindy both left in 1972, and Mary Wilson recruited Lynda Laurence and Scherrie Payne (sister of "Band of Gold" singer Freda Payne) as replacements. Lynda left after a year, and Cindy Birdsong returned to the group.

The Supremes fortunes continued to decline, and Cindy Birdsong left again in 1976 (the same year that original Supreme Flo Ballard died), replaced by Susaye Greene. In 1977, Mary Wilson decided to disband the group.

Mary attempted a solo career, but she was never much of a singer. She penned a couple of tell-all books in the 1980s, detailing the shady dealings of Motown founder Berry Gordy, who was porking Diana Ross and groomed her to be the star.

I've found myself quite enjoying some a lot of the post-Diana Ross Supremes music. They did a few great disco songs in the mid-70s with Scherrie Payne on lead vocals. I also quite enjoy some of Diana's solo material, especially the jazzy album Blue, recorded right after the Lady Sings the Blues film in 1972, but not released until 2006. She also did some great pop-rock stuff in the '80s. She's a total narcissist as a person, though.

Mary Wilson has a very over-inflated sense of her own talents, but I believe Diana and Berry did not treat her well.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Where or When," from The Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart - this is the last album the group recorded with Florence Ballard.

"Stoned Love" - from 1970, with Jean Terrell on lead vocals. The biggest hit the Supremes had after Diana Ross left.

"High Energy" - from 1976, with Scherrie Payne on lead vocals.

"I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" - The Mary Wilson/Scherrie Payne/Susaye Greene line-up. This was the Supremes' final Top 40 hit, in 1976.

Diana Ross - "What a Diff'rence a Day Makes" - from the Blue album, recorded in 1972 but not released until 2006.

Diana Ross - "Pieces of Ice" - 1983 solo hit by Miss Ross.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the Supremes but don't own any albums. Didn't know they did a Rodgers and Hart. Knew they did a Rogers and Hammerstein. Motown is amazing.

Also: Wish Bryan Ferry would do a Supremes covers album; much better than Bob Dylan.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 08-23-2014 at 02:09 AM..
Old 08-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They were always primarily a singles group. Rodgers & Hart is one of their only "themed" albums. It was also the last thing they recorded before Florence Ballard left. She really brought a distinctive sound to the group that was desperately missed once she was gone.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always been utterly fascinated by the story of Florence Ballard, one of the more interesting and tragic stories in music history.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I've always been utterly fascinated by the story of Florence Ballard, one of the more interesting and tragic stories in music history.
Absolutely agree.

I had an ex who was obsessed with The Supremes in a big way. I never connected with most of the music all that much, but the story was just so intriguing to me.

However, the (I think only) Florence-led single Buttered Popcorn is one song I seem to catch myself singing in the kitchen rather a lot. It's just so infectious! And my baby doesn't even really like buttered popcorn very much! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLfwo8luyZk

Another favourite of mine is Love Child. That one pops into my head now and again too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rntxzyRt9UQ Just so perfectly over the top in all the ways that get me.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My late sister loved the Supremes and Ms Ross herself along with Elvis.

I enjoy their music myself.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

There were four Supremes originally... Barbara Martin sang on their earliest records for Motown including first LP 'Meet The Supremes'. I always find the earliest recordings at the very least interesting, when artists aren't so sure of what they're doing.

I liked their recordings with the Temptations best of all however I think, so many great voices on those it's unbeatable!

People should also look into Mary Wells and Tammi Terrell (both solo and with Marvin Gaye). Nobody could make music like this now, not for all the computers in the world.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
There were four Supremes originally... Barbara Martin sang on their earliest records for Motown including first LP 'Meet The Supremes'. I always find the earliest recordings at the very least interesting, when artists aren't so sure of what they're doing.

I liked their recordings with the Temptations best of all however I think, so many great voices on those it's unbeatable!

People should also look into Mary Wells and Tammi Terrell (both solo and with Marvin Gaye). Nobody could make music like this now, not for all the computers in the world.
I agree.Great true harmony and voices.No need for autotune.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It really is profoundly sad. She had some major problems resulting from being raped as a teenager and they were evidently never addressed. She was treated abysmally by Berry Gordy and Motown after she was let go from the group. To the extent that she was not allowed to even mention that she had been a Supreme when promoting herself as a solo act.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't know the group continued after Diana left. You learn something new ever day
Old 09-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My most FAVORITE Supremes song was actually recorded AFTER Diana Ross left the group. "Up The Ladder To The Roof' was a 1970 hit for The Supremes with Jean Terrell signing lead vocals. I just love this song. Bette Midler also covered it in the early 1980's on one of her live albums.

My other favorite Supremes story is when Diana Ross tried to stage a reunion tour in 2000 called the "Return To Love Tour". Diana and the promoters tried to get Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong to reunite. While Diana stood to make $15 to 20 million dollars for the tour, Mary Wilson was offered only $4 Million, and poor Cindy Birdsong was offered $650,000. Both women told Diana Ross where she could stick it!

AND, in the grand fashion of Miss Ross, what did she do? The show must go on! So she contacted two woman who had performed with The Supremes in the 1970's, Sherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence. SO, the "Return to Love" tour went on as scheduled, but with Payne and Laurence joining Ross, although none of the three had ever been in the group at the same time and neither Payne nor Laurence had sung on any of the original hit recordings. ALRIGHT FOR YOU, MISS ROSS !! What an EGO !! Too bad the "Return to Love" Tour was CANCELLED after only half of the dates were played. THE REASON: Poor Ticket Sales!! Of course, Mary Wilson running to the media to tell the world what a b**ch Diana Ross was didn't help the public relations of the tour.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
The Terrell/Gaye albums are probably/possibly my favorite Motown ALBUMS.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, that stunt Diana Ross pulled with the "reunion" tour was beyond ridiculous, and I was glad that people saw through it. I like her music (both solo and with the Supremes), but she epitomizes the word "diva."