The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can someone please post the other version of "Thrown Down" in MP3 that leaked just before the new year?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2003, 06:56 PM
joe

wow...this song has really evolved into something wonderful...it reminds me of "gypsy" and "sara" (maybe more of the live versions)....it's got a very similar rhythm...i'm thinking the "you say you're sorry" verse may be at the end? anyway, i didn't like the demo very much...then, when we got the first version it still wasn't that special...i thought stevie's voice was harder and there was nothing really special instrumentally speaking...plus, i didn't think the lyrics were saying that much...BUT BUT BUT!!!!! with this new verse it gives the whole song a new dimension. it's fabulous and i'm pleasantly surprised...i hope this IS the version on the record. Right now, i'm listening to "Destiny Rules" and i have renewed faith in FM!
Old 03-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Cha Ching

Oh yea, definitely.....this version is MUCH better. I guess it was the layering or "wall of sound" mentioned in another thread that kind of turned me off to the song. I think it has a "Gypsy-like" sound to it now..... very cool. And Stevie's vocals are a lot more focal in the song...she sounds awesome, better than she did on TISL.

Joe
Old 03-09-2003, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know I was thinking (an alarm should go off now saying run away for your life!!!! ), do you think that one of these version of Thrown Down is from the Dallas Austin (big R&B producer) TISL recording sessions here in Atlanta in 1999-2000? The two musical versions I have heard are so musically different, I was thinking that. However, it is just a hunch as my invitation(s) to the recording sessions and parties failed to arrive when she was here!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs up

*I
Old 03-09-2003, 07:20 PM
Junior Ledgie

Aftert
Old 03-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been trying to avoid listening to any of the new tracks until 4/15- but since I now know that the Jan 03 Thrown Down is NOT the album version, (I'd love to hear it. If anyone has a copy of the older FM thrown Down (not the TISL version) would you mind sending it to me?
thanks so very much in advance.
-Derek
deribish@earthlink.net
Old 03-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Ledgie

Now that's the way it should be done!!
Old 03-09-2003, 08:25 PM
Junior Ledgie

I am torn. While I love the new verse, I am not as happy with Stevie's vocals. In general, she is singing in a much lower register and without as much passion. I hear this particularly in the first verse and the chorus. Of course, I may have just gotten too used to the version we have all had since Christmas...
Old 03-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

-Derek, check your e-mail- I sent you the Thrown Down Outtake, its a zip file..I hope that works...if not this version is all over WinMX or Kaaza.

Back to the topic of the new Thrown Down..//..This new arrangement is beautiful....the softer approach, matches the message and delivery of Stevie's lyrical yearning much much better!!!!!....and I love that Stevie is singing it in a higher pitch than the wall of sound, musically more aggressive outtake.,...I am beyond pleased with this version and song now, the new lyrics DO give it more depth.... and puts the song more on par with some of Lindsey and Stevies' better collaborations...But I'm still happy that we all have the outtake to cherish as well....

AND I gotta mention.....I am sooooo in Love with the additional harmony Stevie provides on all these new song clips....just Friggin' Delicious!!! Christine WHO?? is right!

Im so ready for the new CD now!!.....Can you all EVEN imagine HOW Smile at you & Running thru the garden are going to sound

Last edited by Christopher; 03-09-2003 at 08:32 PM..
Old 03-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow. I like this sound much more. The spare production really allows the song to breathe, and I think the higher key vocal makes a huge difference. There is definity a "Mirage" vibe to this version, and the guitar reminds me of "Fireflies" and the live "Sara."
Old 03-10-2003, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh man!

I didn't cry (because "I'm a MAN!" lol) but.... very close!!! I think I'm in shock and will report back later! lol

This guitar work at the beginning - Stevies amazing vocals - the outstanding lyrical and vocal duet between Lindsey and Stevie - this is too much!
Old 03-10-2003, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Down on Rodeo, you took the words out of my mouth!

This new sound (esp. the great opening chords) is so "out of the blue" when compared to the "wall of ound" one. Moreover, their harmonies in the "Shaking the Faith" part are incredible and even more so is the almost pleading nature of Stevie's voice in the "You're not like other people" part. I am still in shock the morning after!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher
Can you all EVEN imagine HOW Smile at you & Running thru the garden are going to sound
I'm doing my best not to! Or I would have even less hope concentrating on uni!

I love how the tracklist bunches combos together: 'WTWCT' and 'Murrow', then later you have 'Smile At You' and 'RTTG'.

Gonna make for some fiiiine BN FM listnin'!
Old 03-10-2003, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
You know I was thinking (an alarm should go off now saying run away for your life!!!! ), do you think that one of these version of Thrown Down is from the Dallas Austin (big R&B producer) TISL recording sessions here in Atlanta in 1999-2000? The two musical versions I have heard are so musically different, I was thinking that. However, it is just a hunch as my invitation(s) to the recording sessions and parties failed to arrive when she was here!!!
I'll have to listen to the other version of Thrown Down that leaked out three months ago, but I am inclined to believe this newer version and the older one have the same instrumentation. I haven't checked the keys, which if they are different would mean the song was rerecorded. But what happens on the newer version is this: The layers of sound were panned differently and mixed at different volumes from the earlier version. For instance, the muted guitar effect on this version is way up front, whereas in the other version it was further in the back. Also, I noted the arpeggio is lower in the mix in the new version, bu it's still there adding a nice texture.

What's undeniably new is the new verse, which I believe gives more cohesion to the song. I think the new words are an improvement. And I also like the layered mix, as opposed to the denser production of the older version.