User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedSLN
It's unrealistic to think that every single life could have been spared in a natural disaster of this magnitude. But it's even more ridiculous to think the preparation and response we've seen, given the information and resources we had, is the best we could muster. And I find it really condescending to chastise people for "griping" about massive loss of life (and we are talking about loss of life here; people aren't complaining about broken fingernails) when much of it was reasonably preventable .
You sure hit the nail on the head with everything you just said, Tiffany.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's unrealistic to think that every single life could have been spared in a natural disaster of this magnitude. But it's even more ridiculous to think the preparation and response we've seen, given the information and resources we had, is the best we could muster. And I find it really condescending to chastise people for "griping" about massive loss of life (and we are talking about loss of life here; people aren't complaining about broken fingernails) when much of it was reasonably preventable .
Well said, Tiff. I agree completely.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Wow. I'm sorry, but, ditto.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean people shouldn't grieve over the loss of life. Despite what some may think, I'm not heartless. I do believe many people made mistakes and I'm sure they will work to correct them. What I don't believe is that those in charge were only to happy to let others die, or didn't care enough to help them.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
And I find it disgusting how everybody seems more eager to find someone to blame and condemn than to focus on the positives that people are getting saved and helped. It frustrates me that people like you believe they have the answers to everything, and therefore self-righteously going around proclaiming it. Did you read the answers about buses posted earlier? Guess what. It's not as simple as you'd like to think and maybe someone needs to tell you that. Sorry if you don't like it.
Well, then let's look at the facts, not the BS. FEMA took control of the situation on Sunday at Gov. Blanco's request. When a Federal Agency takes charge, they are in charge, not the state, though the state must also simultaneously use its resources in conjunction with FEMA. FEMA and Pres. Bush acted ahead of time and outfitted the SuperDome and other shelters with food and water for two or so days in anticipation of tens of thousands being evacuated to them. They also planned to do house to house searches and rescue tens of thousands of evacuees. Finally, FEMA and the government of Louisiana have been planning for a higher than class 3 hurricane to hit NOLA for years and FEMA had an approved plan. So, clearly they knew this storm was going to be bad and on August 28, the Gov. of Louisiana specifically called on FEMA to execute that plan. Any talk to the contrary is not supported by the facts.

Then, FEMA is overwhelmed by the rescue effort, which it had planned for mind you. Also, FEMA refused what appears to be hundreds of private and public requests from to ship food, water, and manpower into NOLA and the other damaged areas. Yet, FEMA refused it. Why they did so is unexplainable to me. Then, it takes FEMA on its own and with the self-admitted constant observation of the Pres. five days to get food and supplies and manpower into NOLA and the other damaged areas. How is that possibly explained on any rationale level when, again, hundreds stood ready five days before but were refused.

Those are the facts. If you want to draw the conclusion that W and FEMA did nothing wrong and that five or more days is a reasonable amount of time. So be it. I think, however, if you were watching your infant die in your arms from starvation, dehydration, and heat - you might just be a little angry at the Fed. Govt., whose job it was to save you and your dead infant.

For the life of me, I will never understand why people do not get that and instead want to defend W and his glacier like second response to this.

On a related topic, I think the people that could have gotten out should have done so and that they did not makes me angey at them because they hindered the evacuation of the needy by comparison. But, I think no one is saying the really poor and handicapped should be faulted for not evacuating a town that has essentially two ways out in an evacuation and no public transportation to do so and a FEMA plan to put them in the dome

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Well, then let's look at the facts, not the BS. FEMA took control of the situation on Sunday at Gov. Blanco's request. When a Federal Agency takes charge, they are in charge, not the state, though the state must also simultaneously use its resources in conjunction with FEMA. FEMA and Pres. Bush acted ahead of time and outfitted the SuperDome and other shelters with food and water for two or so days in anticipation of tens of thousands being evacuated to them. They also planned to do house to house searches and rescue tens of thousands of evacuees. Finally, FEMA and the government of Louisiana have been planning for a higher than class 3 hurricane to hit NOLA for years and FEMA had an approved plan. So, clearly they knew this storm was going to be bad and on August 28, the Gov. of Louisiana specifically called on FEMA to execute that plan. Any talk to the contrary is not supported by the facts.

Then, FEMA is overwhelmed by the rescue effort, which it had planned for mind you. Also, FEMA refused what appears to be hundreds of private and public requests from to ship food, water, and manpower into NOLA and the other damaged areas. Yet, FEMA refused it. Why they did so is unexplainable to me. Then, it takes FEMA on its own and with the self-admitted constant observation of the Pres. five days to get food and supplies and manpower into NOLA and the other damaged areas. How is that possibly explained on any rationale level when, again, hundreds stood ready five days before but were refused.

Those are the facts. If you want to draw the conclusion that W and FEMA did nothing wrong and that five or more days is a reasonable amount of time. So be it. I think, however, if you were watching your infant die in your arms from starvation, dehydration, and heat - you might just be a little angry at the Fed. Govt., whose job it was to save you and your dead infant.

For the life of me, I will never understand why people do not get that and instead want to defend W and his glacier like second response to this.

On a related topic, I think the people that could have gotten out should have done so and that they did not makes me angey at them because they hindered the evacuation of the needy by comparison. But, I think no one is saying the really poor and handicapped should be faulted for not evacuating a town that has essentially two ways out in an evacuation and no public transportation to do so and a FEMA plan to put them in the dome
It looks to me like they did make efforts to respond from the facts you posted above. I cannot explain why FEMA didn't accept some of the help either, but it surely wasn't because they weren't concerned about the people in New Orleans. That said, certainly any problems should be addressed and corrected. I'm just giving relief workers the benefit of the doubt. As for "defending W," his name didn't even come up in my post.

Last edited by sodascouts; 09-04-2005 at 03:50 PM..
Old 09-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And I find it disgusting how everybody seems more eager to find someone to blame and condemn than to focus on the positives that people are getting saved and helped. It frustrates me that people like you believe they have the answers to everything, and therefore self-righteously going around proclaiming it. Did you read the answers about buses posted earlier? Guess what. It's not as simple as you'd like to think and maybe someone needs to tell you that. Sorry if you don't like it.
AMEN!!! thank you Nancy!
Old 09-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Your president is incompetent. Sorry if you don't like it.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
It's not wisdom, it's f*cking common sense. Common sense dictates that you don't wait days before you start sending in help. Common sense dictates that you don't play cards while people around you are dying. Common sense dictates that instead of organizing photo-ops, you should be organizing the relief effort. I find it pretty low of you to accuse people of griping about such a horrific disaster, as if you're trying to apply a negative connotation to the anger people feel over this mess, just as I find it pretty disgusting for you to mock the concern people have over this with petty sarcasm about our "wisdom" and the "magic" of technology.
And all your wonderful sarcasm is always a plus!
Old 09-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It is absolutely absurd to argue that anyone wanted this massive amount of death.
Just as it's absurd for some to argue that this is the best that we can do and that this disaster was adequately responded to.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Did you see the interview on Meet the Press with the Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parish, La.? He broke down while telling NBC's Tim Russert the story of the death of the mother of one of the parish’s employees.

Go to www.msnbc.com and click on Video: She Drowned Friday Night.

So very sad.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 09-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4stevie
Did you see the interview on Meet the Press with the Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parish, La.? He broke down while telling NBC's Tim Russert the story of the death of the mother of one of the parish’s employees.

Go to www.msnbc.com and click on Video: She Drowned Friday Night.

So very sad.
I saw that.
On Monday: "Don't worry Mama we're coming."
On Tuesday:"Don't worry Mama we're coming."
On Wednesday:"Don't worry Mama we're coming."
On Thursday:"Don't worry Mama we're coming."
On Friday:"Don't worry Mama we're coming."

Old 09-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Judging by that you're the one sitting in the comfort of your home
Yes, and you are out there...oh wait no you're not! silly me
Old 09-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Yes, I live on the other side of the world, it's a little hard for me to get "out there". Slow one, let me explain it again. The point was her statement that people are complaining from the comfort of their homes. Atleast the people stating all the outrage are getting a sense of what it's like. It seems to me her home is so comfortable and protected she can't comprehend how it is possible that these people are not protected by the federal administration.
I know exactly where you live...therefore my sarcastic remarks before apply.