Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default peter green after august 1970

Like all of you out there I read things and dont remember from where.

However, Sometime after summer of 1970 Peter Green came back to the US. He entered Goddard College in Vermont which was a freeform institution at the time. I am sure this may have appealed to him as it did not have structured classes. peter , according to my recollections of people who wrote about him say he felt inadequate as far as education. Unlike Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce and others who were channeled int industrial arts and schooling in England. he was working class and was a butchers apprentice in Great Brittain. Had he lived in the states he might have gone to college. Anyway at Goddard anyone could get in as long as they paid for it . He was most likely a celebrity. He met Nick Buck in San Francisco. We know Peter recorded a version of Leaving Town Blues with him . He apears in End Of The Game and later Buck plays with Hot Tuna. Martin Celems wrote that Peter went to New Orleans with Nick Buck. New Orleans is a funny place, having myself been ther a couple of times. They meet up with a voodoo guy who also has drugs of some sort. they get high and Nick Buck leaves Peter there with the Voodoo Guy. Only Peter and the Voodoo guy knw what happens next, but in a recent thread, peter manages to go to a Allman Brothers concert in a paisley shirt and ends up playing with the band. Is this before or after goddard college? I believe he was there for six months so i would say before.
What happened , I do not know. Only Peter may relly know. Nick Buck does not appear anywhere but in references to Hot Tuna in the mid seventies

doodyhead

Last edited by doodyhead; 03-28-2009 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Ms Moose
This message has been deleted by Ms Moose.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Autumn hols in the US 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Like all of you out there I read things and dont remember from where.

However, Sometime after summer of 1970 Peter Green came back to the US. He entered Goddard College in Vermont which was a freeform institution at the time. I am sure this may have appealed to him as it did not have structured classes. peter , according to my recollections of people who wrote about him say he felt inadequate as far as education. Unlike Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce and others who were channeled int industrial arts and schooling in England. he was working class and was a butchers apprentice in Great Brittain. Had he lived in the states he might have gone to college. Anyway at Goddard anyone could get in as long as they paid for it . He was most likely a celebrity. He met Nick Buck in San Francisco. We know Peter recorded a version of Leaving Town Blues with him . He apears in End Of The Game and later Buck plays with Hot Tuna. Martin Celems wrote that Peter went to New Orleans with Nick Buck. New Orleans is a funny place, having myself been ther a couple of times. They meet up with a voodoo guy who also has drugs of some sort. they get high and Nick Buck leaves Peter there with the Voodoo Guy. Only Peter and the Voodoo guy knw what happens next, but in a recent thread, peter manages to go to a Allman Brothers concert in a paisley shirt and ends up playing with the band. Is this before or after goddard college? I believe he was there for six months so i would say before.
What happened , I do not know. Only Peter may relly know. Nick Buck does not appear anywhere but in references to Hot Tuna in the mid seventies

doodyhead
It was after Goddard - according to our good friend from Norway Christopher Hjort. I have just looked it up:

Supposedly he left britain to go on holiday in the US between the 21 - 25 of september 1970. He goes to Boston first, then to Vermont (Goddard College), leaves Vermont on the 23rd or 24th of october for Los Angeles, where he spends the weekend watching Skid Row (with protegeé Gary Moore) open at The Whiskey A- Go-Go.
According to Hjort he leaves for New Orleans in early november to visit
Nick Buck (they had played together in England during the summer). The Allman concert (in the paisley shirt) was on the 7th of november and he goes back to London in mid november to see his first soloalbum in the shops. So - according to Hjort - he is in the US for two months.
He did not play the Windsor Festival the 8th of august - as was suggested on the other thread - but he played the 100 Club in London on the 25th of august (benefit concert) and plays The Roundhouse, London on the 13th of december. In between these dates he is in the states.

So he spent about ten to fourteen days in The Big Easy, played in the paisley shirt in the middle of the stay, and could then - theoretically - have been exposed to black magic both before and after the gig. Martin Celmin states that he "seemed unaffected by this brain-washer" on his return toLondon.

It's a weird story anyway - but they were weird times.

Ms Moose
Old 03-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Voodoo guy

So it's the Voodoo guy that plants the seed in Peter's head that he shouldn't play the blues anymore because it belongs to black americans, according to the Celmins book. I'd like to find that person...

Another tidbit from the Celmins book I liked was Peter's addiction to speed. Here's a person who's pretty much a shy character, but fearless behind the wheel of a car. Could you imagine Peter Green, and a drunk Keith Moon in the same automobile? Life's too short, he should've bought the AC Cobra over the Jaguar.

Then there's his biker phase. Peter in his leather jacket riding a motorcycle. I'll chalk that up to early schizophrenia.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default goddard college and the devil

I am usually wrong but I was under the impression that he stayed for a while at Goddard. Could it be that his first trip up there was to check it out before he came back.. Alegedly while he was there a few rock groups came up and played at the college and saw him.
Regarding the devils music.

I think The whole band got a bad vibe from playing "Black Mans music" from their stint at Chess to record at "Chesss studios. I recall that there were more than a few comments about them getting chunks of money when they (the black artists) were being marginalized by their own black audiences in favor of "soul music" Buddy Guy was not a happy camper in those sessions. Otis Spann, on the other hand took a liking to them. He, after all was a father figure to Michael Bloomfield as well. Blues played by white artists was a real problem for black blues musicians. it took enlightened individuals to see that it was popularizing them in the process. Even then, the white groups were making a whole lot more money than the black groups. It has taken a long time to equalize the playing field. Peter was unawarte of this when he was in england. By the time FM went the first time they were scared of touring the states. I don't blame them.

I think the Devil issues lie somewhere else.

The Crossroads are everywhere, if you care to look
Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post

Regarding the devils music.

I think The whole band got a bad vibe from playing "Black Mans music" from their stint at Chess to record at "Chess studios. I recall that there were more than a few comments about them getting chunks of money when they (the black artists) were being marginalized by their own black audiences in favor of "soul music" Buddy Guy was not a happy camper in those sessions. Otis Spann, on the other hand took a liking to them. He, after all was a father figure to Michael Bloomfield as well. Blues played by white artists was a real problem for black blues musicians. it took enlightened individuals to see that it was popularizing them in the process. Even then, the white groups were making a whole lot more money than the black groups. It has taken a long time to equalize the playing field. Peter was unaware of this when he was in england. By the time FM went the first time they were scared of touring the states. I don't blame them.

After John Mayall, Peter Green's initial dream was to go to Chicago and play with unknown and undiscovered Chicago Blues street musicians. People such as Mike Vernon, and Clifford Davis convinced Peter to form FM instead. Don't forget it was the Rolling Stones that first ventured into Ter-Mar studios in 1964 to record "12*5". I truly think the initial apprehension was that another white British band was going to record at Chess and not have the chops of the Chess studio musicians. That was clearly put to rest when J.T. Brown (Elmore James saxophonist) embraced Jeremy Spencer. Peter Green got the early negative vibe, didn't give it a chance, and mailed in most of his performances. (yet the slower "Watch Out" is a gem) FM was on another level above the Stones, and most of the Chess musicians were impressed. The Buddy Guy session puzzles me, because within a year he's playing with Clapton/ Delaney and Bonnie, and playing on "the Festival Express" train tour through Canada in 6-7/70. You have to wonder if the FM Chess sessions convinced Buddy that the English blues wasn't a joke.

Remember that B.B. King did a short English tour with FM just three months later. He was one of the players that embraced the British blues movement, because he knew it was going to make him more money eventually. That has to confuse one (Green) to a degree. So I think the final straw was some mind blabbing moron in New Orleans who convinced Peter Green that he was doing bad things.

Last edited by slipkid; 03-29-2009 at 12:00 AM..
Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
The Buddy Guy session puzzles me, because within a year he's playing with Clapton/ Delaney and Bonnie, and playing on "the Festival Express" train tour through Canada in 6-7/70. You have to wonder if the FM Chess sessions convinced Buddy that the English blues wasn't a joke.
Having read some of Buddy's bio years ago, his frustration wasn't necessarily with Fleetwood Mac, but with Chess. He wanted to do the things that Green, Clapton, and Hendrix were doing, but was being held back by the label. These guys were doing what he wanted to be doing. I don't think it was resentment or envy on Buddy's part, but frustration over the situation. Chess folded shortly after those sessions, so within a year, he must have felt liberated to finally be allowed to do the things he wanted, and he made an amazing album with Junior Wells shortly thereafter.

THE Stephen Hopkins