User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

well, he sang SS to his cult (apparently we are haunting him ), maybe that was the problem (cult members didn't mind)
In Ohio, I think Lindsey made a whole additional GYOW pitstop so that his fans could strum his guitar too. He certainly appreciated the support.

Of course, even if Lindsey didn't see anyone he knows in the audience, he would tend to engage new people too. He makes eye contact and facial expressions. Mouths words. When you communicate with him, he tries to respond in some way. He pulls you in. That's how people become "cult" members in the first place. They're converted. It's not like he only plays to those people who already support him. When he's "on" he's drawing "newbies" in as well and making them feel he's glad to be there and glad to have them there. Michele
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Oh, I'm intrigued about Stevie saying, "no, it's important to me." I want to KNOW!

One time I heard them have a Say Goodbye discussion -- it was at the Philly show too -- but it was near the end of the tour, not at the beginning like now. Lindsey said that Stevie didn't like what he'd been saying about the song and about her the last few nights and she said, "No, it's your song. Say what you want." And that's the night when he said, "it's been too many years. Or maybe not enough." And I was: swoon.

Michele
I found a video that has part of his introduction to the song, but it's still hard to hear and the video doesn't help at all.

What I got out of it: "This is a song that I wrote about Stevie maybe ten years ago. And, uh, it's about closure - as much of the dialogue between the two of us seems to be. And I think we're still trying to find it..... (indiscernible communication with Stevie)..... Or maybe we're not, I don't know. Anyway, it's incredible that after all this time there might still be a few chapters here between these two people...... (more indiscernible communication)..... So this is a song that is special to me, because it helped me to close many many years later."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNnyHeekekM

also, on a related note: am I crazy, or didn't he originally say Say Goodbye was something he wrote in like '87 (or thereabouts) but it just needed time before it found its place on a record... now he is saying he wrote it 10 years ago?

Last edited by WildHearted; 04-07-2013 at 06:24 PM..
Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, I did want to add one thing: the giant screen that projects the images of the band is really cool and fun! It's nice to be able to see them so clearly. I'm 5'2, so I have to spend the whole show on my 'tip-toes.' I liked the lights, the big sash that comes down in the middle and definitely the HUGE backscreen--this show just seems to have a lot more energy than many I've seen, and I think the band was energized not only by the crowd last night, (which was awesome) but also by the show's aesthetic, which is really "up," (for lack of a better word) and fun.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I found a video that has part of his introduction to the song, but it's still hard to hear and the video doesn't help at all.

What I got out of it: "This is a song that I wrote about Stevie maybe ten years ago. And, uh, it's about closure - as much of the dialogue between the two of us seems to be. And I think we're still trying to find it..... (indiscernible communication with Stevie)..... Or maybe we're not, I don't know. Anyway, it's incredible that after all this time there might still be a few chapters here between these two people...... (more indiscernible communication)..... So this is a song that is special to me, because it helped me to close many many years later."

This was so sweet and so beautiful last night. I thought, and I'm not positive, but I thought that after Lindsey said, "Or maybe you're(?) not," that Stevie said, "No, I am too." {swoon}
Old 04-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In Ohio, I think Lindsey made a whole additional GYOW pitstop so that his fans could strum his guitar too. He certainly appreciated the support.

Of course, even if Lindsey didn't see anyone he knows in the audience, he would tend to engage new people too. He makes eye contact and facial expressions. Mouths words. When you communicate with him, he tries to respond in some way. He pulls you in. That's how people become "cult" members in the first place. They're converted. It's not like he only plays to those people who already support him. When he's "on" he's drawing "newbies" in as well and making them feel he's glad to be there and glad to have them there. Michele
what she said!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

yes, it was interesting, in Columbus Lindsey did all his prepared speeches that we all know already... in Philly he seemed to have been winging it instead for almost every single one of them (well, maybe not Big Love). it was great!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviegirl View Post
Oh, I did want to add one thing: the giant screen that projects the images of the band is really cool and fun! It's nice to be able to see them so clearly. I'm 5'2, so I have to spend the whole show on my 'tip-toes.' I liked the lights, the big sash that comes down in the middle and definitely the HUGE backscreen--this show just seems to have a lot more energy than many I've seen, and I think the band was energized not only by the crowd last night, (which was awesome) but also by the show's aesthetic, which is really "up," (for lack of a better word) and fun.
agree with you - giant screen in the back accentuates right things at the right time and plays off well of the people on the stage. it's a great addition and accent of their playing, not a distraction. it makes it possible for everybody in the arena to be pulled in and be much closer to the action on the stage.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw that one, too. But that bit of dialogue was immediately before the intro. We need a full bootleg.
Not that these aren't awesome.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

also, on a related note: am I crazy, or didn't he originally say Say Goodbye was something he wrote in like '87 (or thereabouts) but it just needed time before it found its place on a record... now he is saying he wrote it 10 years ago?
When SYW came out, he said he wrote Say Goodbye 10 years after leaving the band. So I put it at 1997. He is mixing it up with having been released 10 years ago. Michele
Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excellent reviews everybody.

I hate they aren't coming in my area.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
agree with you - giant screen in the back accentuates right things at the right time and plays off well of the people on the stage. it's a great addition and accent of their playing, not a distraction. it makes it possible for everybody in the arena to be pulled in and be much closer to the action on the stage.
I love this. It's what I hoped they would do this tour after seeing Stevie on Rod Stewart's set up. Makes the show come alive & I'm really looking forward to seeing it with the Mac.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When SYW came out, he said he wrote Say Goodbye 10 years after leaving the band. So I put it at 1997. He is mixing it up with having been released 10 years ago. Michele
Oh, that's right. Thanks.

And Elle - I noticed the same thing re: Lindsey ditching his pre-planned speeches and going off the cuff. It was odd hearing him stumble over his words a bit. In a nice way.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Ledgie

Default Philly Show

Great posts all- Tunes still swirling in my head after the Philly show. We were 16th row center floor. Others have detailed reviews, so I’ll just leave my general impressions – of which the overall one is huge thumbs up-
First, the good stuff:
1. Sound was great
2. Lots of smiling smiling from band members (at least the 3 –McVie in shadows most of night!) They seemed genuinely tickled to be playing these songs, still, to screaming fans.
3. They individually and collectively gave off a really positive vibe.
4. Lindsey’s energy! The man does not let up; he’s a performance animal.
5. Mick seemed so happy to have his little family on stage again – also – he must have the heart and arms of a lion to drum like that at his age – yowsa! Impressive.
6. The crowd, the crowd loved them. After all of our contemplations on the right- or wrongness of the ‘safe’ setlist, for me that was all forgotten when I heard the crowd roar for all these favorites – you realize that there are still the majority who have maybe not seen them before, or not seen them in years. How that must feel for the band members after more than 30 years, I can’t imagine. Instead of feeling retread, it really does honor these songs. It felt like a mass group celebration and validation of those times for all of us, band and crowd alike. I loved it.
7. I never never get tired of the standing o’s and long hoots and applause after both Big Love and I’m So Afraid.
8. Giant vertical screen was cool (but wish they had one for each of them, or that it was wider – it could only show one performer – on Landslide, could only see Stevie – would have been nice to see LB standing just one foot away…)
9. I liked the talking (with the exception of the LB “run it into the ground…” thing – give it a rest – I hate that bit – it’s a disservice to how good Rumours was). As others have said, what they said seemed more genuine, and these songs for the most part are very personal and meaningful for both, so it’s great to hear them acknowledge and talk about it.
10. Nice camaraderie between L & S – probably less interaction than I expected, but some nice moments and smiles, as others have noted. I thought Lindsey’s voice was cracking a little near the end of Say Goodbye, and he also looked up twice, in the way people do to keep back tears. When the song ended, he quickly ran a hand over his face, seeming in a way to clear his eyes..did others notice this?

If I have to nitpick….

1. Even though nice camaraderie, overall there was not as much interaction as I thought there might be, and not too much crossing into each other’s physical space. Sometimes, they seemed deliberately NOT to be looking at each other. However, it is 2013, and perhaps this is a more honest expression of their current relationship. I think I was just a little surprised after the hand-holding interviews and Mick saying something about their chemistry (jeez, at least I thought a little nostalgic BN material from the album???)
2. Background video screens were ok, but I thought much of the graphic stuff was not super compelling or original – just trees and swirling geometric patterns…whatever…it could have been better.
3. McVie completely lost in shadows…maybe he prefers it that way, but it would have been nice to see both Lindsey and John interact a little.
4. With regard to Without You, I liked the song, but what I really loved was the ‘sound’ of it in general – Lindsey’s guitar, the voices, - it did sound so BN-era, so that was cool. But I don’t understand that Stevie says ‘this was the music Mick first heard when he asked us to join the band…’ If that is such a milestone sound that they want to share, why not do a song that actually made it onto the album? I don’t understand how ‘finding’ their demo of Without You on youtube suddenly made them want to record it…..What about ‘finding’ out that people are still discovering and enjoying the BN album??? Why doesn’t that make them want to share those songs live with us?? Note I am not bashing that they brought back an old tune – I loved that, but would have liked more if they had given a nod to their album – I would have loved to hear the audience reaction. Does anyone think it was deliberate not to touch BN, due to a possible re-release (mini-tour???) in the future? This is from Wikipedia: “In December 2012, Nicks was hopeful that a 40th anniversary edition of Buckingham-Nicks would be released in 2013, claiming that at least one unreleased song from the sessions could be included on the release.” That song could be Without You?? But I digress…maybe time to jump threads…
Overall, a great show, and I’m going to see the MSG show, so it will be interesting to see if any changes!!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
3. McVie completely lost in shadows…maybe he prefers it that way, but it would have been nice to see both Lindsey and John interact a little.
Yes, I was a little disappointed by this. In the past, either he and John would be looking at each while playing sometimes or, when they didn't do that so much anymore, Lindsey would hug John during the show -- or MUG him during the show, if you will. John would be playing at the time -- and Lindsey would be too, but Lindsey would play with one hand and grab John with the other. Just a nice show of affection that I miss.

I liked your observations.

Michele
Old 04-08-2013, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard the same thing, Juniper. There was a couple behind me that were absolutely tickled pink that they were doing "all these hits!"
So, yeah. While we are sometimes disgruntled--they are giving the majority of the audience exactly what they want.
And, to me, there was actually a HUGE difference between this tour and Unleashed. I actually saw more concerts during Unleashed (3, I think, and only 1 this time...probably) but there is a completely different tone and attitude that they take to the stage and it really makes all the difference.