The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish we could have gotten one tiny picture of her at the last FM concert. I bet she dolled up for that night out.

Michele
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I wish we could have gotten one tiny picture of her at the last FM concert. I bet she dolled up for that night out.

Michele
Now I'd love to see that!
Old 03-31-2010, 03:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Now I'd love to see that!
LOL.

Fan: Great show, shame about that other woman.
Chris: Do you know who I am?
Fan: Sorry, don't recognize you... Wait your not a Helen Mirren impersonator?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
But what is a 66 year old woman supposed to look like? Personally I prefer her looking like that (and I must admit I don't understand what is so shocking about it. She just looks her age, probably a little younger actually) rather than Joan Rivers or something, who looks like an alien. At least Christine still looks real and recognisable as herself. She's been out of the public eye for the last seven years, if she doesn't feel the need to get plastic surgery why should she go through the pain and discomfort for the sake of a few fans with unrealistic expectations of how an almost 70-year old woman should look?
I agree.

I think she looks fine. Much more natural than, as you say, someone like Joan Rivers.

Gail
Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
If she doesn't care, that's one thing. But looking good, usually makes one feel better about themselves.

If I were her, I'd have em stitch that skin back so tight! "Alright Doc, make me look like I'm 18!" Really, that pic bothers me, because she looks VERY MUCH like the wife of a drummer I play with....and she's pure evil. So I really don't like that pic.
Yeah but how do you know she doesn't feel great about herself? We haven't seen her in seven years but looking into the mirror every day, she probably doesn't notice it as much. And really I'm sure she looks better than that anyway because that is an obviously unflattering photo of her, with her hair messed up by the wind and not a stitch of make-up on. She was probably just out around where she lives taking her dog for a walk, I wouldn't get dressed up for that either! I'm sure she looks a lot better when she's done up, all of us do.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah but how do you know she doesn't feel great about herself? We haven't seen her in seven years but looking into the mirror every day, she probably doesn't notice it as much. And really I'm sure she looks better than that anyway because that is an obviously unflattering photo of her, with her hair messed up by the wind and not a stitch of make-up on. She was probably just out around where she lives taking her dog for a walk, I wouldn't get dressed up for that either! I'm sure she looks a lot better when she's done up, all of us do.
I don't think there is a soul in the world (over the age of 30) that feels great about looking older. Yes, it can be very gradual, but there is nothing like the discovery of a certain line, bag or sag to remind us of our mortality. I can totally empathize with people who subject themselves to the interventions wrought by modern science to prolong the appearance of youth. I don't think it is a matter of aesthetics as much as it is a way of coming to grips with death. I do fancy the notion of being a taut, line-free corpse one day.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I don't think there is a soul in the world (over the age of 30) that feels great about looking older. Yes, it can be very gradual, but there is nothing like the discovery of a certain line, bag or sag to remind us of our mortality. I can totally empathize with people who subject themselves to the interventions wrought by modern science to prolong the appearance of youth. I don't think it is a matter of aesthetics as much as it is a way of coming to grips with death. I do fancy the notion of being a taut, line-free corpse one day.
That
is
kinda
brilliant

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You know, as a 41yo, I've done the best reinvention of myself, over the past 7 months, that has been possible(without spending money). Lost 35 lbs(down to 145 now), and have just completely changed my outlook on life/love. Been dating like crazy(still searching for the right one, though). But, when I'm 50, or 55, and feel like I could really benefit from a nip/tuck, hell yes, pull that **** back! I'm gonna fight death, tooth and nail, as long as I can.

And fwiw, I've always felt this way. I knew at 19, that I was gonna HATE getting older, and knew, even then, that I'd go out swinging! lol

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 03-31-2010 at 12:55 PM..
Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I dont think there's a problem with trying to look your best and making the most of what you have but where do you draw the line?

I personally think that older people who've had god knows how many facelifts look ridiculous. Mutton dressed as lamb!

I still say Christine looked fine. She was walking her dog on a windy day - how should she have dressed? In a posh frock with stilleto heels and a pearl necklace? She is NOT in the public eye anymore so she doesn't need to make an effort

Gail
Old 03-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never said anyone feels great about getting older, where did I say that? Homer said she needs to feel better about herself, and I just said that perhaps she feels great about herself already. Feeling great about yourself doesn't always have to do with how you look.
There's an assumption that how you feel about yourself is completely tied up in how you look, all I'm saying is that Christine is probably enjoying her life and enjoying not having to worry about how she looks, she might in fact, gasp, feel great! Of course she doesn't want wrinkles and to look old, I'm not saying she doesn't notice these things but the effect isn't going be as dramatic to her as it is to us seeing her in the first time after years. And going under the knife? It might be nothing to some but to others that's a pretty big deal. I do understand and empathise with those who do put themselves through it and the natural yearning for eternal youth, I'm absolutely not criticising those who do, but I also understand why people don't want to as well, and Christine obviously doesn't feel the need at this time in her life.
It amuses me that there is never anyone going on about how Mick, John or Lindsey need surgery, yet they all look their age. It's such a double standard. And Christine isn't even in the public eye anymore, if she doesn't want surgery then shouldn't we respect that? And there's always the possibility she would get surgery and look awful, as a lot of people do, would she feel so great about herself then? Let her grow old gracefully how she wants.

Last edited by trackaghost; 03-31-2010 at 01:51 PM..
Old 03-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never said anyone feels great about getting older, where did I say that? Homer said she needs to feel better about herself, and I just said that perhaps she feels great about herself already. Feeling great about yourself doesn't always have to do with how you look.
One can feel great (physically) while not feeling great about ones own self-esteem. Obviously Christine is not curled up in a fetal position in the hay loft, but there is nothing about that photo that screams "I look and feel fantabulous!" To put it another way, how do we know that her appearance hasn't contributed to her reticence to step out in public? Just like Greta Garbo or Doris Day... maybe she wants to be remembered the way she was...

Quote:
It amuses me that there is never anyone going on about how Mick, John or Lindsey need surgery, yet they all look their age. It's such a double standard.
Of course it's a double standard. Nobody gives Mick grief about his protruding beer gut, but if Stevie sported such a protuberance, people would ask her when she was due. In any case, the main problem with old men and plastic surgery is this:

http://menwholooklikeoldlesbians.blogspot.com/

Quote:
And Christine isn't even in the public eye anymore, if she doesn't want surgery then shouldn't we respect that? And there's always the possibility she would get surgery and look awful, as a lot of people do, would she feel so great about herself then? Let her grow old gracefully how she wants.
I want nothing but the greatest happiness for Christine; no matter what, she has made the world a more beautiful place forever. I'm just saying that if I were in her situation, I would not go quietly into the night- I would fight it tooth, nail and scalpel!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One can feel great (physically) while not feeling great about ones own self-esteem. Obviously Christine is not curled up in a fetal position in the hay loft, but there is nothing about that photo that screams "I look and feel fantabulous!" To put it another way, how do we know that her appearance hasn't contributed to her reticence to step out in public? Just like Greta Garbo or Doris Day... maybe she wants to be remembered the way she was...
That is true and I wouldn't blame her for that. I do think she has a nice life down in Kent though, it's just a shame she's been used as a scapegoat for this story in order for it to get more attention than it normally would.

Quote:
Of course it's a double standard. Nobody gives Mick grief about his protruding beer gut, but if Stevie sported such a protuberance, people would ask her when she was due. In any case, the main problem with old men and plastic surgery is this:

http://menwholooklikeoldlesbians.blogspot.com/

I want nothing but the greatest happiness for Christine; no matter what, she has made the world a more beautiful place forever. I'm just saying that if I were in her situation, I would not go quietly into the night- I would fight it tooth, nail and scalpel!
I think she did fight it while in the public eye but now she's retired she probably doesn't feel the need. But I do think she probably looks much better than that when she's dolled up. And that blog is hilarious.

Also, I just want you and Homer to know, I don't mean to pick on anyone, I just enjoy arguing
Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One can feel great (physically) while not feeling great about ones own self-esteem. Obviously Christine is not curled up in a fetal position in the hay loft, but there is nothing about that photo that screams "I look and feel fantabulous!" To put it another way, how do we know that her appearance hasn't contributed to her reticence to step out in public? Just like Greta Garbo or Doris Day... maybe she wants to be remembered the way she was..s
I would hazard a guess that photo was taken in the morning, she'd probably had a quick shower, fed the dogs, had a cup of tea and then took them out for a walk. She seems to be looking towards the photographer and is probably not best pleased.

Ask yourself how you would look in that situation. Have you ever had your picture taken went you weren't expecting it and didn't want it?

Must she scream I look and feel fabulous? She has retired. She should be allowed to get on with her life as she sees fit and not conform to someone else's idea of what a retired Rock Star should look like

Gail

Last edited by Gailh; 03-31-2010 at 03:03 PM..
Old 03-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There's an assumption that how you feel about yourself is completely tied up in how you look, all I'm saying is that Christine is probably enjoying her life and enjoying not having to worry about how she looks, she might in fact, gasp, feel great! Of course she doesn't want wrinkles and to look old, I'm not saying she doesn't notice these things but the effect isn't going be as dramatic to her as it is to us seeing her in the first time after years. And going under the knife? It might be nothing to some but to others that's a pretty big deal. I do understand and empathise with those who do put themselves through it and the natural yearning for eternal youth, I'm absolutely not criticising those who do, but I also understand why people don't want to as well, and Christine obviously doesn't feel the need at this time in her life.
It amuses me that there is never anyone going on about how Mick, John or Lindsey need surgery, yet they all look their age. It's such a double standard. And Christine isn't even in the public eye anymore, if she doesn't want surgery then shouldn't we respect that? And there's always the possibility she would get surgery and look awful, as a lot of people do, would she feel so great about herself then? Let her grow old gracefully how she wants.
BTW, I have 21 digits.

And yeah, if she doesn't care about it, that's totally her choice. I was just saying, if it was me... Now, that said, I have NO idea how painful a facelift or whatnot might be, or how long recovery might be. Anyone had one, or have a Mom or someone you can ask?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think she did fight it while in the public eye but now she's retired she probably doesn't feel the need. But I do think she probably looks much better than that when she's dolled up. And that blog is hilarious.

Also, I just want you and Homer to know, I don't mean to pick on anyone, I just enjoy arguing
We're good, Sharon. I don't care if she has surgery, but, for me, HONESTLY, that picture bothers me. As the most influential musician in my life, for my lifetime, I don't like to see her looking OLD. It bothers me. I'd rather think of her in the 1970's and 80's. Although she looked great for the VH-1 ITM interview!

From my own point of view, I can't begin to tell you, the difference in people's perception of me, and the AMOUNT of positive attention that I now get, just from dropping weight, and being thin, for the first time in my life. I'm serious, it's almost overwhelming. And after experiencing this change, I can't imagine ever not caring about my weight, ever again. When you're used to never getting a second glance, and all of the sudden getting noticed on a regular basis, well, it's really life altering, at least for me.

But, Christine always did shun attention anyway, so maybe she really just doesn't give a f*kc.