Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bekka at Nightfall

The Chattanoogan
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_202409.asp

Bekka Bramlett Plays At Nightfall Friday
posted May 30, 2011

The Nightfall Concert on Friday will feature a headline show by Bekka Bramlett. The opening act is Sweet & Lowdown.

These free shows, presented by Chattanooga Presents, are held each Friday on the River City Stage at Miller Plaza through Sept. 9. Beer, wine, food and non-alcoholic drink concessions are available on site. No outside food or beverages are allowed.

Review for Bekka Bramlett:
Bekka Bramlett is a former member of the band Fleetwood Mac. Bekka has also sung backup for many other artists including Kenny Rogers, Rita Coolidge, Bad Company, Richie Sambora, Billy Joel, Vince Gill, and Jonny Lang. Even though Bekka has been offered record deals over the years, she has chosen the independent route to release her material.

Her 2003 solo CD called "What’s In It For Me" was privately pressed and sold only at Nashville area shows, the annual Delbert McClinton Carribean cruise she has frequented, and on her official website.

Bekka continues to build up an impressive list of high profile artists she has worked with and solo work that she is proud of -- including her latest, the 10-track CD "I Got News For You" from 2009.

Bekka remains humble though, referring to the new release as "nothing special" and "just a bunch of demos."

Review for Sweet & Lowdown:
Nightfall will keep its commitment to the local arts community by featuring Chattanooga musicians for each opening act, beginning at 7 p.m. This week’s opener, Sweet & Lowdown plays timeless music with spectacular vocals by lead Shani Hedden and tasteful instrumentation that will put a smile on your face and get your heels tappin'.

Corporate sponsors for this year’s series are River City Company, Bud Light, Fletcher Bright Company, Kelly Cars, Coca-Cola Bottling Co, Warehouse Row, Chattanooga Choo Choo, Big River Grille & Brewing Works, Costco Wholesale, UTC, Southern Honda Powersports, Walden Security, The Pulse, Fox 61 and NPR/Music 88.1.

For more information on this free community concert series, call 265-0771 or visit NightfallChattanooga.com.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does anyone have any of her CDs? I only have the one she did with Billy Burnette.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Does anyone have any of her CDs? I only have the one she did with Billy Burnette.
While Bekka and Billy is a good album, I don't think it comes close to What's In It For Me (which is the one sold at her shows) or I Got News For You. There are also a lot of other songs that you can obtain either on iTunes or listen to on myspace that are either songs that never made it to an album (Jessica's song, Ave Maria, Gypsy in Me, etc) or duets with people such as Vince Gill or Dwight Yoakam.

While you won't obtain a physical copy of the What's In It For Me album you can still pick up a copy via torrent or rapidshare. I think Matt may have even posted it here a few years back not sure if that link is still valid or you might be able to find it at my old blog site if the link hasn't been taken down - www.fleetwoodmacmusic.blogspot.com

The icing on the cake though is certainly I Got News For You, yet another underrated FM member release that gets a few posts in a thread that disappears after a couple of weeks. If you're Stevie Nicks you can get 20 threads a day about your new album or the size of your chest but if you are Bekka you don't get the attention you deserve

Couple of good YouTube vids of her availabe too - my son (who is 10 months old) loves to dance (kind of) to "Skeletons".

Oh almost forgot the Shakin' the Cage album by the Zoo with Billy Thorpe and Bekka. Not in the same class as the other three I'm afraid.

Last edited by chriskisn; 06-27-2011 at 03:22 AM..
Old 06-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
While Bekka and Billy is a good album, I don't think it comes close to What's In It For Me (which is the one sold at her shows) or I Got News For You.
What's In It For Me is excellent, but I disagree about it being better than Bekka and Billy. I'd say they're pretty even, actually. I mean, Bekka's got some pretty stellar tracks on both, but Billy's contributions and their duets on Bekka and Billy cannot be discounted. Plus I absolutely HATE the What's In It For Me version of "Better Days." Bekka's voice is incredibly uneven on that song and it really grates on my nerves. I can't bear to listen to it at all. On the other hand, the Bekka and Billy version is among my favorite songs.

Penguinhead: If you're serious about getting familiar with Bekka's work, I'd also recommend her more recent album, I Got News For You (which is available on iTunes and on CD). Other tracks I'd recommend looking into:

Duets:
"Don't Play That Song" with Sam Moore
"Take Me Home" with Joe Cocker
"Strongest Weakness" with Bonnie Bramlett

Backing Vocals:
"Lie to Me," "Still Rainin'," "Walking Away," and "Leaving to Stay" by Jonny Lang (or better yet, just buy Lang's Wander This World CD)
Billy Burnette's "Believe What You Say" and "Highway of Love" from Are You With Me Baby and "My L0ve Will Not Change" and "Karaoke Queen" from Rock n' Roll With It

Misc:
Bekka's "What Happened" from The Imus Ranch Record.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
If you're Stevie Nicks you can get 20 threads a day about your new album or the size of your chest but if you are Bekka you don't get the attention you deserve
Sad but true! Both Bekka & her Mom Bonnie are so underated! Bekka was also a backup singer for Belinda Carlise and you can hear her vocals very well on some of her songs like 'Leave a Light On' & 'Half The World'.

Bonnie was awesome on Roseannes sitcom years ago & I'm glad she showcassed her singing! That BBQ episode blows me away everytime I see it!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for listing those tracks. I'm going to definitely check them out.

I only have one her mother's album, "I'm Still The Same" which is excellent.