Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New biography about Stevie by Stephen Davis

Came across it on Amazon. Called Gold Dust Woman: A Biography of Stevie Nicks. Written by Stephen Davis, who co-wrote Mick Fleetwood's autobiography. It's out on Nov. 21, 2017.

I had no idea this was being written, and I'm intrigued that Stephen Davis is writing it. I imagine Mick would have spoken to him and provided info that he wouldn't otherwise have access to. I wonder how Stevie will react, since she supposedly was unhappy with Mick's book, which was more than complimentary to her. Mick better hurry up and schedule those concert dates real fast and get Stevie's signature on those contracts before November!
Old 04-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmmmm. Interesting
Old 04-16-2017, 02:13 PM

Interesting, this could probably be the most accurate biography we can get.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's unauthorized, just like any of the other biographies on her and probably just s compilation of info taken from all her interviews. I read the Zoe Howe book and it was just like that but I really disliked it because the author had the most annoying tone and expressed her opinion too many times imo, and was kind of obnoxious about it.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It is unauthorized, but the fact that it's written by Stephen Davis adds a whole lot of credibility to it. This won't be just another unauthorized book about Stevie- as SisterNightroad said, this is about as close as we're going to get to a decent, accurate biography of Stevie. The fact that he co-wrote Mick's autobiography would certainly have given him unprecedented access to stories and details about Stevie that others wouldn't have been privy to.

I think this is a pretty big development.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I think it's unauthorized, just like any of the other biographies on her and probably just s compilation of info taken from all her interviews. I read the Zoe Howe book and it was just like that but I really disliked it because the author had the most annoying tone and expressed her opinion too many times imo, and was kind of obnoxious about it.
The fact that it is unauthorized could even ensure more accuracy.

However Stephen Davis is a serious and professional rock biographer with a lot of experience, among other things he's written the "Hammer of the Gods" series.
It seems he's intended to write about Stevie for a long time since I found he started talking about it around 2008:

But if rock is fading as an art form, does that mean rock biography will soon follow?

“No, I’m planning a project on the Jonas Brothers,” Davis says with a wry smile. "I’m kidding. I’m very interested in writing about women now. There’s Carly Simon. There’s Stevie Nicks. I hear Debbie Harry wants to do a book and that they’re looking for a writer. The Blondie story would be a good one. We’ll see."

http://www.bu.edu/today/2008/rock-from-axl-to-zep/
Old 04-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
It is unauthorized, but the fact that it's written by Stephen Davis adds a whole lot of credibility to it. This won't be just another unauthorized book about Stevie- as SisterNightroad said, this is about as close as we're going to get to a decent, accurate biography of Stevie. The fact that he co-wrote Mick's autobiography would certainly have given him unprecedented access to stories and details about Stevie that others wouldn't have been privy to.

I think this is a pretty big development.
That is true but I can imagine Stevie is still pretty firm on what she wants out and what she doesn't so I don't think it'll have much new information or anything particularly revealing.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
The fact that it is unauthorized could even ensure more accuracy.

However Stephen Davis is a serious and professional rock biographer with a lot of experience, among other things he's written the "Hammer of the Gods" series.
It seems he's intended to write about Stevie for a long time since I found he started talking about it around 2008:

But if rock is fading as an art form, does that mean rock biography will soon follow?

“No, I’m planning a project on the Jonas Brothers,” Davis says with a wry smile. "I’m kidding. I’m very interested in writing about women now. There’s Carly Simon. There’s Stevie Nicks. I hear Debbie Harry wants to do a book and that they’re looking for a writer. The Blondie story would be a good one. We’ll see."

http://www.bu.edu/today/2008/rock-from-axl-to-zep/
Carly Simon completely distanced herself from his book on her tho and made it very clear she had nothing to do with it. She was pretty mad apparently some of it angered her.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:48 PM

That's not the point, I don't think we need new revelations or more details about her personal life.
The fact is that we we lack a definitive and accurate biography about Stevie, and Stephen Davis can be the one to do it.
Zoe Howe's work was full of little mistakes that could be easily spotted by any long time fan, which denoted she spent too little time researching informations and checking the sources for her book, in my opinion she didn't handle it professionally probably because she didn't take the subject seriously.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I imagine Mick would have spoken to him and provided info that he wouldn't otherwise have access to. I wonder how Stevie will react, since she supposedly was unhappy with Mick's book, which was more than complimentary to her. Mick better hurry up and schedule those concert dates real fast and get Stevie's signature on those contracts before November!

I wouldn't take it as a given Mick would have spoken to him and provided him with any new information. He may already have plenty of material from his time working on Mick's book, but generally I'd say anything that's worth anything would have already been used 25 years ago (or even included in Micks more recent book). I don't see why Mick would just volunteer a load of salacious gossip for the sake of it at this stage- Its not as if Mick and Stephen Davis are best mates or anything.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's not the point, I don't think we need new revelations or more details about her personal life.
The fact is that we we lack a definitive and accurate biography about Stevie, and Stephen Davis can be the one to do it.
Zoe Howe's work was full of little mistakes that could be easily spotted by any long time fan, which denoted she spent too little time researching informations and checking the sources for her book, in my opinion she didn't handle it professionally probably because she didn't take the subject seriously.
Yes you have a point. The Zoe Howe book drove me nuts because of all the little errors and things she left out.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I wouldn't take it as a given Mick would have spoken to him and provided him with any new information. He may already have plenty of material from his time working on Mick's book, but generally I'd say anything that's worth anything would have already been used 25 years ago (or even included in Micks more recent book). I don't see why Mick would just volunteer a load of salacious gossip for the sake of it at this stage- Its not as if Mick and Stephen Davis are best mates or anything.
I think there's a difference between salacious gossip and matter of fact stories about the recording of Say You Will, or the taping of the Dance concert for MTV, for example, and both of which took place in the last 35 years. And do you know Stephen and Mick aren't best mates? I don't know either way, but since Mick bared his personal life for Stephen for many years, including updated versions of his autobiography, I would say they were close. But feel free to cite your sources that they aren't best mates.

And like you alluded to, Mick could have told him anecdotes or stories about or involving Stevie that never made it into Mick's book, perhaps because they were more about Stevie than Mick. A writer like Stephen Davis would keep every little piece of scrap paper or note he ever took with Mick.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Yes you have a point. The Zoe Howe book drove me nuts because of all the little errors and things she left out.
I haven't read all of her book, I searched for it online and read some to see if it was worth to buy it, but I ended up being disappointed.
I don't know if it's that, but I noticed that all her other biographies regarded music acts from very different genres than Stevie so it's possible that her own personal tastes influenced her work?
Old 04-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think there's a difference between salacious gossip and matter of fact stories about the recording of Say You Will, or the taping of the Dance concert for MTV, for example, and both of which took place in the last 35 years. And do you know Stephen and Mick aren't best mates? I don't know either way, but since Mick bared his personal life for Stephen for many years, including updated versions of his autobiography, I would say they were close. But feel free to cite your sources that they aren't best mates.

And like you alluded to, Mick could have told him anecdotes or stories about or involving Stevie that never made it into Mick's book, perhaps because they were more about Stevie than Mick. A writer like Stephen Davis would keep every little piece of scrap paper or note he ever took with Mick.

No, I don't have any sources to suggest they aren't best mates- but neither do you have anything to suggest they are. Mick was obviously open with Davis for the benefit of his book- that is a business dealing. That's to say Mick was benefiting from what was written. I'd give Mick some credit for being a bit more savvy about saying anything about Stevie now- he's not always the brightest but he'd be aware about not doing anything to p!ss Stevie off now.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I haven't read all of her book, I searched for it online and read some to see if it was worth to buy it, but I ended up being disappointed.
I don't know if it's that, but I noticed that all her other biographies regarded music acts from very different genres than Stevie so it's possible that her own personal tastes influenced her work?
Her tone was just really condescending imo and her writing style was almost as annoying as CAH. She came up with different nicknames for cocaine and said at one part how she was running out of ideas for them. And there was this part she talked about the Rumours footage on YouTube and she said like "Lindsey is not on the camera much but when he is, he complains about being tired from the shows"...like well, he ALSO plays a really pretty song at one part and talks about Walter Egan's album and something to do with the Beach Boys. Just a lot of things like that. Like you said before, it seemed like she didn't take it seriously and had a very certain tone.