The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Reborn (San Jose Metro Active)

http://www.metroactive.com/metro/09....usic-0836.html

Reborn
Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham finds a new artistic voice

By Garrett Wheeler

SOMETIMES, presenting a small detail during the course of an interview can have a profound effect on the overall direction of the dialogue. So, after five minutes of phone conversation, I let Lindsey Buckingham know that I'm 23 years old. My goal is to put things in context; after all, this a man best known for engineering some of Fleetwood Mac's greatest hits, and in doing so, helping to write the soundtrack that so famously defines the generation belonging not to me but to my parents.

Buckingham, a Palo Alto native (yes, Stevie Nicks is, too) with a wife and three children, seems to understand my perspective, an outlook either obscured or clarified by youth, depending on which side of the age-barrier you decide to poll. In fact, his response to my declaration is amazingly void of any age-grown bias, especially considering the artistic accomplishments achieved by his flower-powered peers.

"A lot of young listeners are able to appreciate substance that is well crafted," says Buckingham, "and even though it might be a bit more difficult to find music that meets that criteria in today's climate, the boundaries that used to exist have faded. When I was growing up, there was rock music, and there was our parents' music, and they were rarely the same. That distinction has muddied."

The muddied waters of popular music is a metaphor that may help explain why Buckingham, 34 years after originally joining Mick Fleetwood's band, has finally reconnected with the youth.

His fifth solo album, the recently released Gift of Screws, is evidence of Buckingham's temporal and artistic meld, with influences ranging from the pop-oriented rock of his Buckingham-Nicks days to the contemporary eccentricity found in today's post-psychedelic genres. Asked what modern rock bands he's fond of, Buckingham says he likes "some of the indie stuff," along with brooding alt-rock bands like Radiohead and Death Cab for Cutie. "I also really like Elliot Smith," says Buckingham. "He's like a John Lennon on downers."

Listening to Gift of Screws, it's easy to draw parallels between Smith's sparse melancholy and some of Buckingham's despondent ballads. It's also easy to find similarities between the trademark pop-sensibility of Fleetwood Mac and Buckingham's latest endeavor. Mick Fleetwood and John McVie lend their drum and bass parts to several songs on the LP, a collaboration Buckingham describes as "great synergy." But even with the help of a few old friends, Gift of Screws is no ticket to ride on the Fleetwood Mac train of the past.

"[Gift of Screws] kind of took on a life of its own," explains Buckingham. "After I did Under the Skin—a mostly acoustic album with no drums, bass or lead guitars—in 2006, the effectiveness of that sound made me think I should take it a notch further. I brought in my road band, which naturally took the album in a more rock & roll direction, and from there, well, it's whatever I ended up with."

Sprawling, edgy and cool, Gift of Screws possesses not only a new melodic interface for Buckingham's songwriting, it also gives him a chance to reflect on his current life occupation: family. "It's like a phase two for me," Buckingham says. "I've got family members participating in songwriting, or giving me ideas. It kind of refutes the idea that children are the death of an artist. It's a new path for me, and it's the best creative time I've ever had."
Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This blurb for the Seattle show was amusing:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/C...?oid=662496&ms

Tuesday 9/9
Lindsey Buckingham

(Moore) Like many legendary musicians, Lindsey Buckingham will be showing up with dozens of soulful classics and a bunch of new stuff no one wants to hear. There's the rub, but he'll probably get through all that after the first half hour, and then it's gravy. The Fleetwood Mac mastermind can still pull off his brilliant/weirdo finger-picking style and sing like a mother****er. Is that enough to throw down 80 bucks for seats next to the toilet? Well, aside from the Mac songs, Buckingham will also be playing "Holiday Road." You know, the National Lampoon's Vacation theme that has about four lyrics and makes "Road" a 10-syllable word. That's worth a hell of a lot more than "Big Love." SHANE MEHLING
Old 09-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Asked what modern rock bands he's fond of, Buckingham says he likes "some of the indie stuff," along with brooding alt-rock bands like Radiohead and Death Cab for Cutie. "I also really like Elliot Smith," says Buckingham. "He's like a John Lennon on downers."
Go Lindsey. I have been an Elliot Smith fan for a long time. He's amazing and I highly recommend him to anyone, especially the albums XO and Either/Or. Shoot, just get them all. If anyone has seen "the Royal Tennenbaums" you've heard him. In fact, get "the Royal Tennenbaums" soundtrack if you haven't already...ok, I am totally OT here.

I often wonder if Kristen is influential in getting Lindsey into a lot of these artists he's been listening to. I've read some of his lists and heard him mention artists and he names some incredible stuff. How many people even bother with Plastic Ono Band? It's like one of the greatest albums ever created by anyone but most people will jump the Macca-had-more-commercial-success-and-thus-must-be-better wagon.

Go LB!! Radiohead is brill, it's been established ad nauseum by anyone...but I still love hearing him mention them. Takes me back to high school and the Bends.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I often wonder if Kristen is influential in getting Lindsey into a lot of these artists he's been listening to.
LOLOLOL!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
http://www.metroactive.com/metro/09....usic-0836.html

Asked what modern rock bands he's fond of, Buckingham says he likes "some of the indie stuff," along with brooding alt-rock bands like Radiohead and Death Cab for Cutie. "I also really like Elliot Smith," says Buckingham. "He's like a John Lennon on downers."
Reading that stuff horrifies me.

That Lindsey hasn't said he thrilled to Electronic's Twisted Tenderness, Travis' The Man Who, Scritti Politti's White Bread Black Beer, New Order's Waiting for the Sirens Call, Morrissey's You Are The Quarry, Cinerama's Disco Volante much less responded to dance (David Morales' Two Worlds Collide), folk (Iris DeMent's Lifeline), hip hop/r&B (R. Kelly/Jay-Z's Best of Both Worlds), Timbaland's production advancements (FutureSex/LoveSounds, Shock Value), political gay pop (Pet Shop Boys' Release) -- the peaks of the decade -- is the reason that his music is limited -- post-Say You Will, another peak -- not only in its appeal but also in its scope and vision. Hopefully collaborating with Fleetwood Mac next year (and a new producer -- hope hope) will open up his ever-refining skill and sensitivity.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post

That Lindsey hasn't said he thrilled to Electronic's Twisted Tenderness, Travis' The Man Who, Scritti Politti's White Bread Black Beer, New Order's Waiting for the Sirens Call, Morrissey's You Are The Quarry, Cinerama's Disco Volante much less responded to dance (David Morales' Two Worlds Collide), folk (Iris DeMent's Lifeline), hip hop/r&B (R. Kelly/Jay-Z's Best of Both Worlds), Timbaland's production advancements (FutureSex/LoveSounds, Shock Value), political gay pop (Pet Shop Boys' Release) -- the peaks of the decade -- is the reason that his music is limited -- post-Say You Will, another peak -- not only in its appeal but also in its scope and vision. Hopefully collaborating with Fleetwood Mac next year (and a new producer -- hope hope) will open up his ever-refining skill and sensitivity.

What?

Anyway, of all those things mentioned I hardly think Folk should be there. Lindsey's music is very Folk based already.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Like many legendary musicians, Lindsey Buckingham will be showing up with dozens of soulful classics and a bunch of new stuff no one wants to hear. The Fleetwood Mac mastermind can still pull off his brilliant/weirdo finger-picking style and sing like a mother****er. Is that enough to throw down 80 bucks for seats next to the toilet? You know, the National Lampoon's Vacation theme that has about four lyrics and makes "Road" a 10-syllable word.
His real fans Will want to hear his new tunes. Even for seats next to the toilet. I counted and this guy is right there are 10 syllables in the way Lindsey sings the word road.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
What?

Anyway, of all those things mentioned I hardly think Folk should be there. Lindsey's music is very Folk based already.
My point being that Iris DeMent has advanced folk in a manner Lindsey may not be familiar... but should be.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post

Why would Lindsey be listening to any of those albums though? It makes sense that he would be listening to Elliott Smith's 90s take on folk, over political gay pop!
I don't think his music is limited. He excels at what he does. Very few can do a Beck or a Prince and master many different genres. Would you say Johnny Cash was limited because he merely played guitar-based country music? Sometimes you advance music simply by writing great songs.
Personally I think Radiohead have advanced music anyway - they are one of the greatest bands of the last 20 years in my book - and Elliott Smith was one of the greatest singer/songwriters, so your argument doesn't ring true to me.

Last edited by trackaghost; 09-05-2008 at 10:13 AM..
Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Buckingham, a Palo Alto native (yes, Stevie Nicks is, too)
Stevie is not a Palo Alto native.