User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
All of this supports my theory that much of Mirage was in production long before 1981
None of it was "in production" before 1981.

Quote:
- though I am sure some additional work went into it in 1981
Virtually all the work except for mixing & mastering on the album was in 1981.

The tapes Stevie is playing during her RS photo shoot were tapes of what was recorded in May & June 1981 at Le Chateau.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
She does.
Did you know that neither she nor Christine sings on "Book of Love"?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
None of it was "in production" before 1981 . . . .
Well, no. Once again, even if none of the other stuff existed in no form whatsoever, there is a 1974ish demo. of That's Alright and pre 1981 demos of Gypsy. I get that these were not FM official productions (though LB did the demo for TA) -- but I never said that. I said that they (individually or together in some form) may have been working on the songs prior to 1981.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 05-09-2009 at 07:03 PM..
Old 05-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Thanks --

Quote:
Song after song expresses a mixture of longing and remembrance, as Mr. Buckingham's shimmering arrangements for the quintet's three principal singers - himself, Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks - evoke the members of the group calling to one another from mist-shrouded turrets, across vast distances.
is such a cool/accurate image

On edit - the image is true for Little Lies. But, it also is pretty accurate for WISYA, with the exception that it is LB seemingly calling from his mist-shrouded turret across vast a distance at the end of the song - along with that beautiful guitar track he shines with.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 05-09-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

Hold Me was written expressly for Mirage. It was not written in the late 70s. Rarely does Chris hold on to extra songs. She tends to write only what she needs for any given project. She does have, however, a large backlog of fragments and ideas.
I would agree about this in the frenzied heydays. But in her later period, around the time of the Dance promotion, I think she mentioned having a back log of songs she'd written that people told her she should do something with. As in that Best Buy interview she did.

Michele
Old 05-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I would agree about this in the frenzied heydays. But in her later period, around the time of the Dance promotion, I think she mentioned having a back log of songs she'd written that people told her she should do something with. As in that Best Buy interview she did.

Michele
I thought about that.

Plus, I am sure the three writers (and likely Mick and John) do stuff when the others are not around - and they write that down, record it, etc. for later use.

As to producing a final song, I am sure that usually is a much more specific and focused effort, which Hold me likely was. But, surely, they all call back on things they created in the past but never used.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
The tape of Christine and Stevie discussing Lindsey's singing on Hold Me was made in the late seventies, I believe. So, that song had certainly been around.

Michele
If I remember correctly, they are talking about Robin being sick in that same conversation, which would make it around 1981 or so.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Hold Me was written expressly for Mirage.
I think it was referring to Dennis Wilson as well.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I thought about that.

Plus, I am sure the three writers (and likely Mick and John) do stuff when the others are not around - and they write that down, record it, etc. for later use.

As to producing a final song, I am sure that usually is a much more specific and focused effort, which Hold me likely was. But, surely, they all call back on things they created in the past but never used.

And I remember Mick saying on the Rumours DVD that Lindsey not only remembered his own old stuff, but the "girls'" too. That comment suggested to me that maybe the three songwriters had a trove of unused material somewhere that they'd worked on in the past and discarded (have a butter cookie). However, I concede Aleuzzi's point, based on what Christine herself has said.

Still, that probably changed once Christine stopped working full time and has been at her leisure. Now she probably does have songs that she never wrote or used for any particular purpose and hasn't recorded. Songs written during the divorce, etc. She may not have had a store of them in the old days, but I think she's built up a little archive now.

Michele
Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
If I remember correctly, they are talking about Robin being sick in that same conversation, which would make it around 1981 or so.
Yes, once I read the transcript, that was a good time marker. Stevie said that she and Sara were at the hospital and found out they had the exact same temperature as Robin had and the nurse told them they should be hospitalized too. Also, they were listening to Straight Back in the limo, same conversation.

Michele
Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

I had thought Hold Me was earlier, but I have all of those audio "conversations" on just 2 CD discs and I guess I just blended them all together in my head and don't really have an accurate idea of the chronology of what was said when, when I listened to them.

Michele

I have a few of these recordings, and I know someone has posted some files in the past, but I really want to hear all of them. Can you tell me where I might find them? Thanks!

A
Old 05-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwasme View Post
I have a few of these recordings, and I know someone has posted some files in the past, but I really want to hear all of them. Can you tell me where I might find them? Thanks!

A
Someone did post them, but now all the links have expired in those old posts. So, I don't know where to get all of them anymore.

Michele
Old 05-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And I remember Mick saying on the Rumours DVD that Lindsey not only remembered his own old stuff, but the "girls'" too. That comment suggested to me that maybe the three songwriters had a trove of unused material somewhere that they'd worked on in the past and discarded (have a butter cookie). However, I concede Aleuzzi's point, based on what Christine herself has said.

Still, that probably changed once Christine stopped working full time and has been at her leisure. Now she probably does have songs that she never wrote or used for any particular purpose and hasn't recorded. Songs written during the divorce, etc. She may not have had a store of them in the old days, but I think she's built up a little archive now.

Michele
Me too -- and - I think CM is in a much better position to create because she plays the piano so well. i sort of see/imagine her sitting at her piano late at night just creating.

Interestingly, we have seen La Nicks take a former part of a song that was cut and use it in another song. An example is the ending of GDW (presumably the original ending) - the "baby don't leave me" harmony fest. That was later (presumably) used in if You Ever Did believe, which she presumably wrote after GDW. I say presumably because we really do not know which came first. We only know when they were released, etc. For all we know, both songs could be part of the same part of her journal.

This is why I maintain that some of the songs were worked on in some fashion prior to 1981 or thereabouts.

Isn't it La Nicks who says that they work on stuff and sometimes it does not work out, but later does a la Smile at You.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzubritsky View Post

I thought for years that she was singing backup on "Book Of Love", but Lindsey indicated in a long-ago interview that he manipulated his own voice and made it sound like Stevie.
dont u think it's weird that lindsey always/mostly manips his voice into a feminine one...that often sounds like Stevie?

i know there's a bunch of songs i thought were stevie singing and actually it's lindsey
Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
dont u think it's weird that lindsey always/mostly manips his voice into a feminine one...that often sounds like Stevie?

i know there's a bunch of songs i thought were stevie singing and actually it's lindsey
She said whenever you speed his voice up or slow hers down they sound like each other, so I don't know if he's trying to sound like her or if that's just the result he gets when he jimmies his voice.

Michele