Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-16-2004, 02:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For those of you who want to hear a more specifically Db performance, I recommend the snippet of Mac doing it live during a 1982 rehearsal on the "Missing Links" set of underground demos.
Bring it on! Da link, dat is. I'd love to hear it. Pour moi, C is a little bit easier to play in than Db(probably because I'm a guitar player first{thus the tiny brain}, and keys second!). Mirage IS closer to C, I guess that's why I've ALWAYS assumed it was C, that LB twisted up!
Bring it on!

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 02-16-2004 at 02:21 AM..
Old 02-16-2004, 03:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"Wish You Were Here" is a great song... one of my favorites on 'Mirage.'

The instrumental outro is terrific, and I usually end up listening to it two or three times.

I was going to ask if anyone knew anything about Colin Allen (he's the fella who wrote the lyrics for "Wish You Were Here"... Christine only wrote the music), but I decided to look him up myself.
Turns out he was a member of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers for quite a while, and has also worked with Bob Dylan, Donovan, Rod Stewart, and Robbie Patton (of "Smiling Islands" fame). He's also had songs recorded by Paul McCartney & Wings.

Not bad.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
I think that Christine "directed" Colin Allen to write the lyrics in a way that COULD be aimed toward Dennis. Isn't the song DEDICATED to Dennis on the Mirage liner notes somewhere? I could swear I remember reading "dedicated to DW" or something like that on the album (or maybe even the LP's label itself).
No, that was "Only Over You". Chris thanked Dennis for inspiration. It's in the liner notes. But, it is possible that Colin may have had Chris & Dennis in mind when he wrote the lyrics. I actually think the lyrics sound as if Chris could have written them.

Just before Mirage, Chris and Ken Caillat produced an album for Robbie Patton. Colin Allen played drums & percussion on that album. I'm sure that's how she hooked up with him for "Wish You Were Here".
Old 02-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by HomerMcvie
Bring it on! Da link, dat is. I'd love to hear it. Pour moi, C is a little bit easier to play in than Db(probably because I'm a guitar player first{thus the tiny brain}, and keys second!). Mirage IS closer to C, I guess that's why I've ALWAYS assumed it was C, that LB twisted up!
Bring it on!
Check yer e-mail. I need to eat crow or something -- they rehearsed it in C. All these years I've been playing in Db. Now I have to go learn it in C!
Old 02-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
He's also had songs recorded by Paul McCartney & Wings.
He co-wrote two songs with Wings' guitarist Jimmy McCulloch, "Medicine Jar" from Venus & Mars and "Wino Junko" from Wings At The Speed Of Sound. Both of them wildly about drug abuse, both of them sung by Jimmy McCulloch (not Paul); and the first one was his regular vocal outing during the Wings Over Europe/America mid-70's tours.

Weird thing is that Jimmy McCulloch died very young, around late 70's... and his death was related to drug abuse. Oh well.

Song of the moment - Earl Grey
Old 02-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I need to eat crow or something -- they rehearsed it in C. All these years I've been playing in Db. Now I have to go learn it in C!
Would you like some ketchup with that, sir?
Sorry, I sent you an email before I saw this. I was here a few minutes before you got here, then reading my emails while you were here.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I adore Wish You Were Here... It's a classic album closer. In my opinion, the instrumental outro makes the whole song. I think that it has to be one of Chris' best songs musically and vocally. Would have made a great single