Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default A bunch of random questions

Since I couldn't find what I thought was the proper foru, I thought I would pst here since some of the questions are around The Dance.

Note that I am a newbie fan, so some of these may seem a bit 'simple' to the experts here

First off, I got the DVD about a week ago and I swear my wife is ready to pack up and leave given the number of times I have played it. I read a bunch of reviews on amazon that were VERY positive, but I had no idea it was THIS good. After seeing this DVD I am thoroughly convinced that Lindsey Buckingham is the greatest guitar player to walk the planet!

Given that, I have a bunch of questions around this show and other topics.

- I understand that The Dance was more than one show. How many shows were there?

- Anyone know anything more behind the USC marching band finishing the last 2 songs? I thougth that was absolutely brilliant!

- How was the setlist derived and does anyone know why "Little Lies" was omitted?

- Is Stevie sober during this time (and now)? She looked TERRIBLE in the Tang in the Night DVD and I am guessing she had some issues.

- Is this DVD, TITN and the making of Rumours the only FM DVD's available?

- The encore on this DVD seemed very odd. Othr bands will let the crowd really ask them to come back (Depeche Mode is great at this), so since this is only the second live show I have seen, is the encore behavior a common one (i.e. waiting 30 seconds before coming back out)?

- Was it a common thing to have extra drums, keyboards and guitars in teh background for all FM shows?

- Did any of the new songs from this show ever charr? I LOVE "Little Demons"!

- Given all the hits over the years, and the early succes of the band, does anyone know how many formal music videos the band made? I know of "Little Lies", "Hold On" and while I have never seen it, I understand there is a video for "Everywhere".

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Pat

Invsible College
http://www.collegemusicrecordings.com
Old 02-23-2005, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by omdguy
Since I couldn't find what I thought was the proper foru, I thought I would pst here since some of the questions are around The Dance.
Welcome, newbie.
Quote:
I understand that The Dance was more than one show. How many shows were there?
May 22 & 23
Quote:
Anyone know anything more behind the USC marching band finishing the last 2 songs? I thougth that was absolutely brilliant!
The USC Trojan Marching Band played on the group's 1979 album "Tusk" (on the song "Tusk"). The song has been tied to the USC Marching Band ever since: the Trojans performed at Fleetwood Mac's five-night stand at the L.A. Forum in 1979, & Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood & Lindsey Buckingham have appeared a couple of times at USC games at the L.A. Coliseum during halftime. In addition, Trojan games throughout the years have often featured performances of "Tusk," & the marching band has in the distant past recorded the song on its own albums. The USC Trojan Marching Band has been intimately tied to "Tusk" -- & by extension to Fleetwood Mac -- for 24 years. It was probably a no-brainer to invite the marching band down again for the reunion taping. There are numerous interesting threads on Usenet posted by members of the 1997 version of the Trojan Marching Band (like Seth Green) about the experience.
Quote:
How was the setlist derived and does anyone know why "Little Lies" was omitted?
Fleetwood Mac puts together its own set lists based on input from all members, who consider factors of equal weighting among members, pacing, success at rehearsals, etc. "Little Lies" was apparently rehearsed for the May taping, but was dropped, along with several other songs.
Quote:
Is Stevie sober during this time (and now)?
Yes.
Quote:
Is this DVD, TITN and the making of Rumours the only FM DVD's available?
Also available are "Live in Boston" from the 2003 tour & "Destiny Rules" (a documentary about the making of the 2003 studio album), "The Mick Fleetwood Story: Two Sticks & a Drum," "Fleetwood Mac: The Early Years" & "Fleetwood Mac: Unbroken Chain."
Quote:
The encore on this DVD seemed very odd. Othr bands will let the crowd really ask them to come back (Depeche Mode is great at this), so since this is only the second live show I have seen, is the encore behavior a common one (i.e. waiting 30 seconds before coming back out)?
The abrupt return to the stage is probably a result of both film/video editing & the nature of the production in general (TV broadcast).
Quote:
Was it a common thing to have extra drums, keyboards and guitars in teh background for all FM shows?
In terms of these backup musicians being onstage throughout the set, it's been common since the band's 1987 tour (the "Tango" DVD).
Quote:
Did any of the new songs from this show ever charr? I LOVE "Little Demons"!
I think "Landslide" & "Silver Springs" charted somewhere or other.
Quote:
Given all the hits over the years, and the early succes of the band, does anyone know how many formal music videos the band made? I know of "Little Lies", "Hold On" and while I have never seen it, I understand there is a video for "Everywhere".
Now that you're at the Penguin, it's a good time to start using the resources at the Penguin: http://fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/index.phtml

There must be information somewhere with a complete list of all videos. If not, we'll start compiling one for you! It's pretty extensive.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
- Given all the hits over the years, and the early succes of the band, does anyone know how many formal music videos the band made? I know of "Little Lies", "Hold On" and while I have never seen it, I understand there is a video for "Everywhere".
1979 (Tusk):
Tusk

1982 (Mirage):
Gypsy
Hold Me

1987 (Tango in the Night):
Big Love
Everywhere
Family Man
Little Lies
Seven Wonders

1990 (Behind the Mask):
In the Back of My Mind
Save Me
Skies the Limit

2003 (Say You Will):
Peacekeeper
Say You Will (I think there was a video for this song. Or am I thinking of the AOL Sessions thing?)

Miscellaneous:
As Long As You Follow (1988)
Love Shines (1992)
Paper Doll (1992)
Old 02-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Junior Ledgie

David, many thanks for the answers, it is certainly fascinating reading.

I am off to try and find the other DVD's you mentioned. I can only hope they are as good as The Dance!

Cheers,

Pat

Invsible College
http://www.collegemusicrecordings.com
Old 02-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Hee!

Quote:
Lindsey Buckingham is the greatest guitar player to walk the planet!
Yes, he is.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I understand there is a video for "Everywhere".

Pat

Welcome, Pat.

Yes, there is a video for Everywhere, but the band does not appear in it.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
...I am thoroughly convinced that Lindsey Buckingham is the greatest guitar player to walk the planet!

(DISCLAIMER: IMHO) Umm... ...not even...and not even the greatest FLEETWOOD MAC guitar player.

Due to:
Peter Green
Danny Kirwan
Rick Vito

And, outside of FMac, there's:

Eric Clapton
Buddy Guy
Warren Haynes
Todd Sharp
Adrian Legg
Keith Urban
Dean Hall
James Otto
Jon Nicholson
Brent Mason

Not to mention 1,000's of others.

But, then, it's like trying to answer the question of "who's the greatest baseball player ever?". Is it:

Ty Cobb
Babe Ruth
Honus Wagner
Christy Mathewson
Walter Johnson
Lou Gehrig
Ted Williams
Joe DiMaggio
Mickey Mantle
Roger Maris
Sandy Koufax
or ??

Everybody has their favorites and there's no definite set of measurable guidelines for "who's the greatest".

Last edited by chiliD; 02-23-2005 at 06:29 PM..
Old 02-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Yes, he is.
Lindsey Is Definitely A Kick Ass Guitarist!!!
He's got my vote , too!!!

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 02-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
But, then, it's like trying to answer the question of "who's the greatest baseball player ever?".
Peter Edward Rose

I think the debate of who's the greatest guitarist comes down to taste. Lindsey is certainly one of the most interesting guitarists, in that he has a unique finger style. But that's not all there is to guitar playing. His solos are certainly not the best by any stretch. I agree, Danny, Peter, and Rick have him beat there. And, the guy doesn't even play slide. Jeremy, Rick, Peter, Dave Mason, and Bob Weston have him beat there. So, while love Lindsey, I still say the best overall guitarist the Mac has ever had, strictly on a technical term, was Rick Vito.

However, I will say that Lindsey is the best producer the band ever had. And, I think if anybody asked him, he'd rather be remembered more as a producer anyway.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
But that's not all there is to guitar playing. His solos are certainly not the best by any stretch.
I really enjoy his solos, and I'm pretty sure the fact that I don't play the instrument makes me ignorant about a lot of things. I mean, I have no knowledge of who in the band is most versatile with the instrument, for example. I just really enjoy Lindsey's playing. But I also enjoy Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch, and Bob Weston. If there was a debate about who plays the best, I don't think I'd know enough to participate.

Anyway, welcome to the board, Pat!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Welcome, Pat.

Yes, there is a video for Everywhere, but the band does not appear in it.
With many of the subsequent videos, I don't think the band had much involvement at all. Some are just cobbled together from previous footage. Nothing new, with barely any effort at all, as if to say "no one will see this anyway, so why bother?"
Old 03-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
But, then, it's like trying to answer the question of "who's the greatest baseball player ever?".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Peter Edward Rose
See? Now, there you go. Sure, Ty Cobb, B Ruth, L Gehrig, T Williams, J DiMaggio are also people I could name, as well. But, then, it is HIGHLY possible that the "greatest baseball player ever" may have never played in the major leagues at all just because he had darker skin than allowable at the time. So, with that, I'd say Josh Gibson, Buck O'Neill or Satchel Paige (who DID make it to the majors, but not until he was already about 45 years old).
Old 04-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

's funny no one mentions the DVD "Making of Rumours", a documentary which is pretty neat.

---------------------------------------------------------------
"I'd like something different", my wife said as she lay eyes on me.
I thought to myself: "What's different?"
Looked her in the face and saw:
Beautiful is different