Default 10-14-18 Des Moines,Iowa videos & reviews

Free Fallin':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQ3SW_22SU

You Make Loving Fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRR5yKUyfgU
Old 10-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wait--So in Free Fallin, not only is there a barrage of Tom Petty & Stevie photos in the background, but it's actually Tom Petty's vocal?
What on earth would he make of this.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don’t hear TP vocals.
I hear some dude who was close to the camera, but it sure isn’t TP.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I don’t hear TP vocals.
I hear some dude who was close to the camera, but it sure isn’t TP.
Is that what it is?
Thanks.

That would have been... odd.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tom would HATE this! OMG
Old 10-16-2018, 05:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Tom would HATE this! OMG
Mike Csmpbell must know that. Apparently it doesn't give him pause.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Umm, perhaps just maybe Mike would know far more about how Tom would feel about anything than ANYONE on this board.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
Umm, perhaps just maybe Mike would know far more about how Tom would feel about anything than ANYONE on this board.
No! No! No!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

B]Behind new members, Fleetwood Mac haunts a snowy Des Moines with a night of hits[/B]
A thump on the kick drum lurches a restless audience to its feet. A light jingle on the wind chime sends hands flying in celebration.

An opening twang on the guitar and a sweltering, unified scream washes away thoughts of the outside world.

Harmonized vocals fill the room and the ride begins.

“Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise …”

It’s “The Chain,” the first of a 24-song set from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame group Fleetwood Mac, playing Des Moines for the first time since 2015. An estimated 10,000 journeyed through spitting October snow to see the famed outfit perform at Wells Fargo Arena, Iowa’s largest indoor stage.

The show made its Des Moines stop in the first month of a tour where fans won’t see longtime songwriter and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham belting classic Fleetwood Mac choruses. The band fired Buckingham earlier this year, and, in response, the songwriter filed a multimillion dollar lawsuit against his longtime bandmates.

Neil Finn of Crowded House fame and Mike Campbell, longtime Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist, took Buckingham’s place in Des Moines, where Fleetwood Mac offered Iowans a two-and-a-half-hour set spanning five decades of haunting, blues-infused songwriting.

Off stage, headlines of a $12 million lawsuit and the internal discourse that caused it surround Fleetwood Mac. But on stage, the group appears unflinching in celebrating its time-tested catalog of classic rock.

It’s like the song goes ... “You would never break the chain.”

Fleetwood Mac performs at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa on Oct. 14, 2018. Reese Strickland/Special to the Register
World turning with a new lineup: So, it’s not completely the original band. But that’s what to expect with classic rock in 2018.

John Mayer gigs with members of the Grateful Dead. Axl Rose filled in on vocals for AC/DC. Vince Gill’s circling the world as a member of the Eagles.

Just last week, Nirvana’s surviving members reunited with Joan Jett and Deer Tick’s John McCauley singing Kurt Cobain lyrics.

If you want to celebrate “The Chain” and “Don’t Stop” and “Little Lies,” you’ve got to be OK with a little fantasy draft rock ‘n’ roll.

Plus, it wouldn’t be a Fleetwood Mac tour without a little drama, right?

Mike Campbell of Fleetwood Mac performs at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa, on Oct. 14, 2018.
Mike Campbell of Fleetwood Mac performs at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa, on Oct. 14, 2018. (Photo: Reese Strickland/Special to the Register)

“This is show number six for us,” Fleetwood Mac vocalist Stevie Nicks said. “We’re really happy to be able to share these first shows with you. You’re our sounding board. You’re kind-of part of this. We’ll never forget you because of that.”

A brilliantly entertaining guitarist, Campbell fits smoothly into the group. He’s flashy when the set need flash, like 1969’s “Oh Well” or show rarity “Black Magic Woman,” but his playing mostly compliments the band’s best songwriting. He adds a notable touch on numbers such as “Second Hand News” and “Gold Dust Woman” without hijacking the spotlight from Nicks or keyboardist Christine McVie.

More: Coming out of my cage: The story of an Iowan writing one of this century’s biggest rock songs

Neil Finn of Fleetwood Mac performs at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa, on Oct. 14, 2018.
Neil Finn of Fleetwood Mac performs at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa, on Oct. 14, 2018. (Photo: Reese Strickland/Special to the Register)

Finn’s a fine substitute on vocals, adding a hearty kick to iconic Buckingham lines in “The Chain” and “Go Your Own Way.” And it’s a complete blast to watch he and Nicks feed off each other — and surprise the audience — during “Don’t Dream It’s Over,” a cover of Crowded House’s biggest track.

Say you love the set list: Backed by five additional touring members, Fleetwood Mac balanced can’t-be-missed-hits with a sprinkling of rarities dating back five decades.

McVie and Campbell led respective solos on “Black Magic Woman,” a song written by Fleetwood Mac but made famous by Santana in 1970. The group brought to life classic rock favorites such as “Little Lies” and “Dreams,” but also dug deep into the catalog by performing 1973’s “Hypnotized” or 1970’s “Tell Me All The Things You Do.”

Nicks delivered chills with a ghostly rendition of “Rhiannon” and Mick Fleetwood offered an ovation-earning drum solo during 1975’s “World Turning.”

The night featured plenty of “Rumors,” too, with seven tracks coming from the acclaimed 1977 album. Nicks and Finn offered an acoustic rendition of fan-favorite “Landslide.”

More: On the anniversary of his death, looking back on Tom Petty's last night in Des Moines

Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac performs at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa on Oct. 14, 2018.
Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac performs at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa on Oct. 14, 2018. (Photo: Reese Strickland/Special to the Register)

“I would like to dedicate this to, seriously, being in the snow,” Nicks, introducing “Landslide,” told the audience. “This song was written in Aspen, Colorado, in 1973 and there were snow covered hills.”

A free fallin’ return: McVie reliably led “You Make Loving Fun” before Nicks and Finn brought the initial set to a close with an eerie “Gold Dust Woman” and energetic “Go Your Own Way,” respectively.

The band waved a temporary “goodbye,” only to return for an encore tribute to legendary songwriter Tom Petty, who died last year of cardiac arrest. Nicks, a longtime friend and collaborator of Petty’s took lead vocals on a cover of 1989 hit “Free Fallin’.”

Photographs of Nicks, Campbell and Petty flashed across the arena’s megascreen during the tribute.

The band brought out one more hit,” Don’t Stop,” before closing with a Nicks-McVie duet, 1995’s “All Over Again” — a subtle nod to what waits off stage.

“It’s a song about change,” she said. “It’s a song about surviving change. It’s a song about the future.”

More: Fleetwood Mac pays tribute to Tom Petty at Des Moines concert

Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac performs at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa, on Oct. 14, 2018.
Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac performs at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa, on Oct. 14, 2018. (Photo: Reese Strickland/Special to the Register)

Fleetwood Mac set list
The Chain
Little Lies
Dreams
Second Hand News
Say You Love Me
Black Magic Woman
Everywhere
I Got You (Split Enz)
Rhiannon
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Storms
World Turning
Hypnotized
Oh Well
Don't Dream It's Over (Crowded House)
Landslide
Isn't It Midnight
Monday Morning
You Make Loving Fun
Gold Dust Woman
Go Your Own Way
Encore:
Free Fallin' (Tom Petty)
Don't Stop
All Over Again

Photos and video here:https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...rs/1644476002/
Old 10-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
Yes and he didn't want to do it! But who MADE him? Tambourine B/witch.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Mike never mentioned anything in that interview about how Tom would have felt about doing that tribute. He (Mike) only stated a reservation himself about the choice of that particular song and said he eventually got talked into it. (the whole, "oh come on, you gotta do it, I promise it will be "a moment"" quote) Based on the reports of people who attended the shows saying that the crowds were singing along and really getting into it; I think it must have been a good call. Mike is a grown man with plenty of credibility from participating in another hugely successful band. If he thought that one of his closest friends for years would have thought it would be some kind of complete travesty to perform one of the Heartbreakers songs he wouldn't have done it. Period.

Last edited by Feather Blade; 10-16-2018 at 02:25 PM..
Old 10-16-2018, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Point of order: Free Fallin’ wasn’t a Heartbreakers song.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-16-2018, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Point of order: Free Fallin’ wasn’t a Heartbreakers song.
That's right! I forgot about that. It was a Mike/Tom co-write that was on... was it Full Moon Fever?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I bet there are no windows in your work environment editing videos cause you sound like a broken record.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
That's right! I forgot about that. It was a Mike/Tom co-write that was on... was it Full Moon Fever?
No. It was a Tom/Jeff Lynne co-write. Mike played on and co-produced it.

THE Stephen Hopkins