Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i have to disagree.
i think i read about 25 reviews of this record - in all the major newspapers across the country along with respected music magazines. All but one, gave it a stellar review.

i think Under The Skin has been a huge success and it's only been out for less than two months.

if you glance at the Billboard Top 40 you will see very little rock on there.
and what is on there, barely passes for music with integrity or artistic merit.
and this has been the case for quite some time. i can't believe there are still Lindsey fans out there that equate sales with success.
Bob Dylan's record peaked at No. 1. But this is the rare exception.

Here's a review copy and pasted from Amazon that says it all pretty perfectly:

If Lindsey Buckingham went out of his way to try every production trick in the book for his previous three records (and the last three Fleetwood Mac studio albums), Under The Skin offers a refreshing breather with nothing more then an old delay pedal to dirty up the vocals. The result is an often astonishingly raw cycle of songs that dig a little deeper than normal into the tug of war between making art and keeping family relationships intact.
With the vocals pushed slightly back into the mix and acoustic guitar brought up front with little or almost no percussion, at times John Lennon's Plastic Ono era comes to mind; but melodies not far removed from Joni Mitchell's "Blue" pop up here and there. Buckingham has always been a unique singular talent, but he's also never been afraid to pay homage to such obvious influences as Brian Wilson and Elvis Presley. Those same influences are still with him, but they're presented in such a way that Thom Yorke of Radiohead could easily find a kindered spirit in the overall sound. Under The Skin isn't music that will conjure up your mother's Fleetwood Mac. But it is one of the most challenging and engaging and cohesive records we've heard in quite some time. If continuing to inspire some thirty odd years after producing your first work defines a true artist, then Lindsey Buckingham need not worry about his legacy. Fans of Tusk take notice, this is not something you want to miss out on.

Last edited by dontlookdown; 11-21-2006 at 01:31 PM..
Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one.
... and most of them stink.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I'm not going there......
Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question I know someone...

Quote:
who 'sarcastically' ends that ol' opinion are like a-holes cliche with those exacts words...Wanna guess his name???
Old 11-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
I know someone who 'sarcastically' ends that ol' opinion are like a-holes cliche with those exacts words...Wanna guess his name???
I'll bet that his name is my name, too.

Crap, now I'm singing that "John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmitt" song!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
i can't believe there are still Lindsey fans out there that equate sales with success.
You're equating success with good music. By your logic that unpopular music can be successful, you can also say that popular music isn't successful. And if you can't say that Britney Spears was a successful pop star, you have quite the oddball view of the word "success."

I don't see general success as this abstract idea, and the only real concrete way to measure success is sales. I think the success you all are talking about is a more specific form of success. Artistic, musical success. As in, did he stay true to himself and make an album he wanted to make. So you aren't necessarily wrong in saying that sales do not equal success, but if you are talking about the most basic kind of success, sales is pretty much the definition.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nicki View Post
but if you are talking about the most basic kind of success, sales is pretty much the definition.
Gotta disagree. When we say UTS was a success, you are right, we mean an artistic one. But where you say the most basic kind of success you mean what I consider a "more specific form of success" - commercial success. Commercial success being measure in sales etc. There is no strict definition of success, it all depends on what you view it to be.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:51 AM

if i can put my 2 cents here...

1. i don't think anything lindsey has done is crap... i wish i had an ounce of his success as a musician...

2. the new album is finally starting to grow on me... it doesn't measure it up to his other three yet... but for me his solo work has always been a process of getting used to... (and i'm insane.... haha)

3. i don't like his personality as of late.. but then again... every member of fmac has put their respective foots in their mouths as far as the media goes... stevie and christine included.... and mick... well umm....

4. i wish this album would have sold more... i'm sort of sick of the people with half his talent getting millions of dollars with half the effort... (those dance tracks on the radio are getting old).

5. i have some problems with his vocals, but none with his guitars... even if he speeds the tracks up...

6. what's growing on me?... (show ya show ya show ya..) i'm starting to love it... you almost think of eyes eyes eyes eyes... (for those of you that love that song)...

anyway at least he is out there and i can't wait to hear the rockin album.. .i think that will be more of what i want to hear...

having said all that... whether i like it or not doesn't mean it's crap... that goes for Rock a Little and In the Mean time... etc...
Old 11-22-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I'll bet that his name is my name, too.

Crap, now I'm singing that "John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmitt" song!
you would sing that!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Britney Spears is a succesful pop star?

Not in my book.
I don't see any sign of musicianship or quality singing or songwriting so how can I call her successful?
Is she successful at being famous? Sure. But I don't know of any true artists who's success is measured by fame.

Some people are confused. But that was the goal of Karl Rove. He saw a country full of mostly uneducated people and he knew they could easily drink the kool aid. The same thing applies to spoon-fed "music".
Old 11-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^^

With all due respect, the term "success" is defined as:

Main Entry: suc·cess

Pronunciation: s&k-'ses

Function: noun
Etymology: Latin successus, from succedere

1 obsolete : OUTCOME, RESULT

2 a : degree or measure of succeeding b : favorable or desired outcome; also : the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence

3 : one that succeeds

So, the eminence and wealth aspects are accurate measures of success.

In the end, LB is successful in his artistic output in that UTS ostensibly was to his favor and was the desired outcome.

He, however, did not succeed in any significant or relative way in this solo commercial venture, which is what this is. If it were not a commercial venture, he would have done it for free

Of course, I think it is possible to be an artist (subjective term) and desire commercial success. LB certainly agrees with me there, though he may publicly protest too much about it

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

He has become a musical genius.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

In my opinion, a truly "successful" artist is one who can walk that thin line between art and commerce... creating something personal and emotionally compelling while still appealling to a broad range of people.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
^^^^

With all due respect, the term "success" is defined as:

Main Entry: suc·cess

Pronunciation: s&k-'ses

Function: noun
Etymology: Latin successus, from succedere

1 obsolete : OUTCOME, RESULT

2 a : degree or measure of succeeding b : favorable or desired outcome; also : the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence

3 : one that succeeds

So, the eminence and wealth aspects are accurate measures of success.

In the end, LB is successful in his artistic output in that UTS ostensibly was to his favor and was the desired outcome.

He, however, did not succeed in any significant or relative way in this solo commercial venture, which is what this is. If it were not a commercial venture, he would have done it for free

Of course, I think it is possible to be an artist (subjective term) and desire commercial success. LB certainly agrees with me there, though he may publicly protest too much about it
well teacher, I really only put worth to the following words:

it's all about growing on your own terms. Eventually that brings success in the long term, as defined by yourself as opposed to success in the short term as defined by others. , like strandie.