Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

So how do you feel about the 1978 tour?
I guess I always considered it part of Rumours. After all, there was less of a break between 1977 and 1978 than there was between the first and second leg of the SYW tour and I consider both legs part of SYW.

The thing about 1978, at least from the bootlegs I've heard is, it was centered on Rumours. If they'd played with the setlist and done a heap of different songs, then I'd consider it a different tour.

Michele
Old 04-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I guess I always considered it part of Rumours. After all, there was less of a break between 1977 and 1978 than there was between the first and second leg of the SYW tour and I consider both legs part of SYW.

The thing about 1978, at least from the bootlegs I've heard is, it was centered on Rumours. If they'd played with the setlist and done a heap of different songs, then I'd consider it a different tour.
Okay, you make excellent points. I'll revisit my views. In addition, they probably sold the Rumours tourbook at those 1978 shows.

But I want to add one more thing about the 1978 <--> Tusk tour link you mention. Aside from the sound differences between the Les Paul & the Turner & the sound differences between the Combo Pianet & the Yamaha CP30, the 1978 performances sound exactly like the early performances (& especially the rehearsals) in 1979. Try it on your own ears, just for fun. Play one of the 1979 rehearsals of a song, & then play that same song from one of the 1978 shows. The musical style, attack, pacing, dynamics, sound field & ambience are all virtually identical. Even the singers' vocals are extremely alike from the first year to the second. In fact, there's far more musical & sound similarity between 1978 performances & first leg 1979 performances than there is between first leg 1979 performances & final leg 1979 performances (which is part of the reason why I've always said the final leg showed the greatest distance covered in performance evolution ever as regards that version of the band).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Play one of the 1979 rehearsals of a song, & then play that same song from one of the 1978 shows. The musical style, attack, pacing, dynamics, sound field & ambience are all virtually identical. Even the singers' vocals are extremely alike from the first year to the second. In fact, there's far more musical & sound similarity between 1978 performances & first leg 1979 performances than there is between first leg 1979 performances & final leg 1979 performances (which is part of the reason why I've always said the final leg showed the greatest distance covered in performance evolution ever as regards that version of the band).
I never thought of it like that. For those who caught them in 1977 and 1978, that must have been quite a treat. I love the evolution myself, love to catch a tour near the beginning and see what changes along the way. Setlist changes are great, but changes within the same song are sometimes more illuminating and then just watching the band members' actions evolve is fascinating.

During the UTS tour for instance, I noticed that IKINW changed over time. That was interesting, because that song always worked no matter what. It wasn't surprising that he tinkered with a newer song like Not Too Late, along the way.

With the Dance tour, I noticed that Chris had a habit of hugging and kissing the band members before the group took their final tour. That was in the first weeks. By the end, she wasn't making the rounds to kiss anyone, while Lindsey, on the other hand, was increasing his band contact with everyone as the tour wore on.

Michele
Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow.
Thanks for posting these pictures

whoever above stated that his hair was shorter during the Tusk tour is right, his hair looks sexier here for some reason...it must be length
Old 04-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, those are some amazing pictures! I happen to love those flowy shirts he wore around this point, not exactly the kimono, but much closer to that style that what came with the Tusk tour. He just looks so relaxed and happy to be playing in these pics! And super hot. Super. Hot.

Though, word on the shoes. Wooden sandals like that on a man are a no-no. 1978 or not.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactamundo
I want to ask everyone whether he or she considers the 1978 tour part of the Rumours tour? I consider the Rumours dates from February 28 in Berkeley to December 10 in Honolulu -- all 1977. I consider the 1978 tour as standing apart from the Rumours tour.
Mos Def part of the Rumours Tour.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactamundo, Sanne. Plus, he's playing his Les Paul in most of these shots, so that too is usually a giveaway (as is Christine's setup in those photos where you can see it). There are dozens of shots like this in the Tusk tourbook, & they were all taken on the 1978 tour. I can't think of a single live shot in the Tusk tourbook that was taken on the Tusk tour.

I want to ask everyone whether he or she considers the 1978 tour part of the Rumours tour. There are probably good reasons to do so, but I don't personally. I consider the Rumours tour the dates from February 28 in Berkeley to December 10 in Honolulu -- all 1977. I consider the 1978 tour as standing apart from the Rumours tour (& it goes without saying that it wasn't part of the Tusk tour, either). The band went out on the road again in 1978 just to build a fire under everyone's butt before starting a big studio album. I consider it its own distinct, individual tour -- not supporting any album per se. A parallel might be Stevie's Millennium tour in 1999 & 2000. We don't consider that part of the Enchanted tour, even though it had a lot of the same songs & same musicians.

I consider it technically part of the Rumours tour, most of the songs were from that album BUT I usually refer to it as the "1978 tour" because a lot of thing were different from 1977, especially how Stevie and Lindsey looked/dressed.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/