Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default As Long As You Follow live?

Was this song never done live?? If not, what a shame! It is sooo beautiful.

Would make a good addition to their current set, wouldn’t it, given its Lindsey-less-ness? My fave song by a mile from the Vito/Burnette era. That guitar solo, sigh.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

blinker12, I've made it very clear on this board that As Long As You Follow is one of MY favorite FM songs, and as such, I insist that you get behind me LOL! Seriously, I'm glad to see the song getting some love here and it would have been awesome if FM had performed this instead of All Over Again. The lyrics seem like a thank you to the fans for sticking with them through thick or thin, and this latest change would have been a perfect time to bring out this beautiful song. Truly one of Christine's best vocals, and the harmonies with Stevie, Billy, and Rick are perfect.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Behind The Mask is coming up in threads a lot recently and it made me think--this lineup is somewhat unique even among other bands because on the Christine and Stevie songs (like Skies The Limit and As Long As You Follow), you have a woman singing the lead and two rather male-voiced men singing backing vocals.

It's an interesting vocal mix. But I think I prefer the female backing vocals of the Rumours lineup (including Lindsey's girly backing vocals).
Old 10-30-2018, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

**Double post***

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-30-2018 at 02:59 PM..
Old 10-30-2018, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Its a great song. I was always confused why MTV never played the video or promoted the Mac's greatest hits. The video was in heavy rotation on VH1 at the time which played soft rock and adult contemporary songs. I was confused why the world was not interested in the "new" Mac and at least play the song. It was the first time the Rick/Billy Mac recorded with the band.
However, there is a reason why the band was very limited in promotion of the Greatest Hits package. Stevie was putting the finishing touches on OSOTM. During the Rockline interview with the band in December 1988, she predicted her solo album to come out in March. I don't think it came out until May. In any event, Stevie was in solo gear pretty much when the song was released. Which pretty much explains why the band never did it live or promoted it very much except for a video.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-30-2018 at 03:00 PM..
Old 10-30-2018, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Behind The Mask is coming up in threads a lot recently and it made me think--this lineup is somewhat unique even among other bands because on the Christine and Stevie songs (like Skies The Limit and As Long As You Follow), you have a woman singing the lead and two rather male-voiced men singing backing vocals.

It's an interesting vocal mix. But I think I prefer the female backing vocals of the Rumours lineup (including Lindsey's girly backing vocals).
Wow, excellent observation about the vocals. You're right, the post-Rumours era was an interesting vocal mix. I think one of the reasons I loved BTM so much was because it seemed like the band really returned to that Rumours-era of backing vocals and harmonies. All my favorite songs on Say You Will were the ones where Lindsey and Stevie sang together and the ones I cared the least about, generally, were the songs where their vocals were isolated. I felt the same way about the Buck/Vie album, too, although I do like the latter album more.

I laughed at your comment about Lindsey's "girly backing vocals." I don't know if I would have used that term, but it's actually pretty accurate. I don't know, I guess I've always says thought his vocals were the perfect balance of masculinity- strong and masculine, but not overpowering. I LOVE Lindsey's vocals on FM and Rumours, as well as the Buck/Nicks album. And his vocals on Book of Love from Mirage are so underrated.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its a great song. I was always confused why MTV never played the video or promoted the Mac's greatest hits. The video was in heavy rotation on VH1 at the time which played soft rock and adult contemporary songs.
I think you've almost answered your own question. I seem to recall it was around that time where they were pushing a pretty hard distinction between MTV and VH1, the former being a rock channel for kids and the latter being softer sounds for adults. Fleetwood Mac were transitioning into "your parents' band" around then. They were a rock band in the seventies, so by the late eighties they were for old folks. And a song like "As Long As You Follow"--adult contemporary to the max--only helped that idea along.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
. And his vocals on Book of Love from Mirage are so underrated.
Not by me!
That vibrato he pulls off on "all the rules"... So sublime.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Not by me!
That vibrato he pulls off on "all the rules"... So sublime.

I love the alt version from the Mirage expanded release also.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I think you've almost answered your own question. I seem to recall it was around that time where they were pushing a pretty hard distinction between MTV and VH1, the former being a rock channel for kids and the latter being softer sounds for adults. Fleetwood Mac were transitioning into "your parents' band" around then. They were a rock band in the seventies, so by the late eighties they were for old folks. And a song like "As Long As You Follow"--adult contemporary to the max--only helped that idea along.
Yes of course, I knew that at the time. However, MTV was playing a ton of light pop songs that were also main plays on adult contemporary stations. I thought at the time because the Mac was such an established band they should not have been shunned by MTV. Just a few years earlier they heavily promoted Tango with their "Mac Attack."
Old 10-31-2018, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Glad to see others loving on this song!

I mean, the song reached #1 on the US Adult Contemporary chart. That’s a pretty big deal! So I’m extra surprised they didn’t perform this at least on the Behind the Mask tour.