The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default In the Back of My Mind- Pro Shot Video/Audio?

http://www.jukebox.fr/fleetwood-mac/...ind,sm08l.html

Anybody know what program this clip of the 1990 band performing In the Back of My Mind is from? I'm hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a source where the quality isn't quite so atrocious. It seems to be a pretty good performance apart from Stevie's bored klonopin vocals.

This was probably my favorite song off of Behind the Mask , so it'd be great to have some decent live audio of it to go along with the rehearsal soundboards of Save Me and When the Sun Goes Down that have been floating around (the only two other songs I really liked from that album).

Thanks in advance!

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 04-23-2018, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I think this is from the Japan promotional tour. I say this because Stevie is dressed the same and looks early Behind the Mask tour. The band also played Save Me and Freedom during this performance. There are lots of clips of the interviews with the band but they are in Japanese. The Mac had to cancel their Australian leg of their 1987-1988 Shake the Cage tour. The band promised to make it up. The band first toured Australia to promote BTM. I assume this was around that time either right before or after the Australian gigs. The band hit the road very quickly after the album release. I don't know if these were recorded in Japan for the promo. They could have been recorded elsewhere and just played on the show. But these are what I remember from those clips.
Interesting note: In the back of my mind was played in the BTM tour late in the set. It was added as the opener after the band went back on the road after Christine's father's funeral. The band cancelled shows from July 1990 through September. I believe the tour resumed in October 1990 with the song as the opener. It worked really well. Stevie is famous for flubbing lines or coming in late especially in the klonopin years. She nailed every verse live. Never missed a cue or word. The song introduces Billy while showcasing Stevie. Then Christine sings the bridge as the band went into the Chain.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-23-2018 at 04:47 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think this is from the Japan promotional tour. I say this because Stevie is dressed the same and looks early Behind the Mask tour. The band also played Save Me and Freedom during this performance. There are lots of clips of the interviews with the band but they are in Japanese. The Mac had to cancel their Australian leg of their 1987-1988 Shake the Cage tour. The band promised to make it up. The band first toured Australia to promote BTM. I assume this was around that time either right before or after the Australian gigs. The band hit the road very quickly after the album release. I don't know if these were recorded in Japan for the promo. They could have been recorded elsewhere and just played on the show. But these are what I remember from those clips.
Interesting note: In the back of my mind was played in the BTM tour late in the set. It was added as the opener after the band went back on the road after Christine's father's funeral. The band cancelled shows from July 1990 through September. I believe the tour resumed in October 1990 with the song as the opener. It worked really well. Stevie is famous for flubbing lines or coming in late especially in the klonopin years. She nailed every verse live. Never missed a cue or word. The song introduces Billy while showcasing Stevie. Then Christine sings the bridge as the band went into the Chain.
Thank you for the lead! I'll do some hunting with that info to see if its available in better quality somewhere. I got a little excited when you mentioned Freedom being in the program as well and found that one in similarly awful quality, but it sounds like they're lip-syncing. Beyond lame . Hopefully the Save Me clip is done live.

I've seen videos of ITBOMM being used as the opener and it's actually a really cool way to introduce this iteration of the band! The slow build sets an epic mood (even if the song itself is lacking in that area) and flows well into The Chain. I'm surprised they were confident enough after the lacking sales of the album to start off the show this way, but it definitely paid off.

I've noticed Stevie missing cues occasionally in those concerts as well, especially in Rhiannon and her part of Isn't It Midnight. Sidenote: If she'd been more on her game the audio from this tour would be great, the band actually performs very well and sounds a lot better than they did under all that murky production in the studio. Even Stand on the Rock is more tolerable (if only marginally so).

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 04-23-2018, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think this was the Japanese TV show. I can actually remember watching this when it went out in 1990, and a little further research on youtube makes me think it was a (UK) Channel 4 programme called Rocksteady.

See Go your own way , below, which I think is from the same show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nlg3hSv3o4

For one thing, I think the performances were live- the Japanese thing was mimed. I can remember the announcer saying that the performances were filmed as a rehearsal with a small invited audience. I think, from memory that Stevie sang Landslide as well. There were some nice interviews with the band members- I can recall John saying that he blew a million on partying.

I do recall not being hugely impressed with the whole thing, and was faintly embarrassed by In the back of my mind. I've never really shaken off my dislike for this line-up, and I'm kind of glad I passed up the chance to see them live. No-one was on their A-game, really. As Long as you follow and Behind the Mask (the title track) were the only decent songs to emerge from it.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 04-23-2018 at 06:44 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I don't think this was the Japanese TV show. I can actually remember watching this when it went out in 1990, and a little further research on youtube makes me think it was a (UK) Channel 4 programme called Rocksteady.

See Go your own way below, which I think is from the same show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nlg3hSv3o4

For one thing, I think the performances were live- the Japanese thing was mimed. I can remember the announcer saying that the performances were filmed as a rehearsal with a small invited audience. I think, from memory that Stevie sang Landslide as well. There were some nice interviews with the band members- I can recall John saying that he blew a million on partying.

I do recall not being hugely impressed with the whole thing, and was faintly embarrassed by In the back of my mind. I've never really shaken off my dislike for this line-up, and I'm kind of glad I passed up the chance to see them live. No-one was on their A-game, really. As Long as you follow and Behind the Mask (the title track) were the only decent songs to emerge from it.
I think you may be right. The Japanese stuff was lip synced.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think you may be right. The Japanese stuff was lip synced.
Thanks for the link, netter75. And yes, the Japanese stuff was lip-synced, but it was cool to see. Used to be on YouTube years ago, but not anymore.

I saw FM for BTM and it was a great concert. In the Back of My Mind got a great reaction from the crowd. The lighting was also incredible, but since that was my first concert, I might have just been easily impressed. Gold Dust Woman, one of my least favorite FM songs, especially benefited from the lighting. From BTM, besides Back of My Mind, they also sang Stand on the Rock, Love is Dangerous, and I think When the Sun Goes Down. I was so bummed they didn't sing Save Me! I wonder if they dropped Save Me for In the Back of My Mind, or if they just skipped Save Me for some reason that night. The Chain, Landslide, Go Your Own Way, and Don't Stop were just as good as when Lindsey was with them. Well, Landslide was better because Stevie and Billy didn't do the fake stuff she did with Lindsey. Go Your Own Way, well, nobody does that song like Lindsey, but honestly it still sounded great. I mean, Stevie and Chrisine sang so much on it, so that helped a lot. It was a great concert.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thanks for the link, netter75. And yes, the Japanese stuff was lip-synced, but it was cool to see. Used to be on YouTube years ago, but not anymore.

I saw FM for BTM and it was a great concert. In the Back of My Mind got a great reaction from the crowd. The lighting was also incredible, but since that was my first concert, I might have just been easily impressed. Gold Dust Woman, one of my least favorite FM songs, especially benefited from the lighting. From BTM, besides Back of My Mind, they also sang Stand on the Rock, Love is Dangerous, and I think When the Sun Goes Down. I was so bummed they didn't sing Save Me! I wonder if they dropped Save Me for In the Back of My Mind, or if they just skipped Save Me for some reason that night. The Chain, Landslide, Go Your Own Way, and Don't Stop were just as good as when Lindsey was with them. Well, Landslide was better because Stevie and Billy didn't do the fake stuff she did with Lindsey. Go Your Own Way, well, nobody does that song like Lindsey, but honestly it still sounded great. I mean, Stevie and Chrisine sang so much on it, so that helped a lot. It was a great concert.
To think how much Freedom would have been improved if done live with some energy. Here's that clip for anyone curious: http://www.jukebox.fr/fleetwood-mac/...dom,sm0r5.html.

I'm not too terribly familiar with the Behind the Mask tour, only recently attempting to fully appreciate the era, but I think I remember reading that they dropped Save Me for Say You Love Me. That choice makes sense, even if it's a bit lame and very indicative of the band's views on the album. I'd be curious to hear Love is Dangerous live though, it seems like it could be a halfway decent song if it didn't feel so lifeless on the album.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
To think how much Freedom would have been improved if done live with some energy. Here's that clip for anyone curious: http://www.jukebox.fr/fleetwood-mac/...dom,sm0r5.html.

I'm not too terribly familiar with the Behind the Mask tour, only recently attempting to fully appreciate the era, but I think I remember reading that they dropped Save Me for Say You Love Me. That choice makes sense, even if it's a bit lame and very indicative of the band's views on the album. I'd be curious to hear Love is Dangerous live though, it seems like it could be a halfway decent song if it didn't feel so lifeless on the album.
Thanks for the direct link to Freedom- I tried to view it when I watched Back of My Mind, but couldn't. I really liked this incarnation of the band, I thought Billy's background vocals were great and I loved Rick Vito's guitar work, style, and stage presence. Thanks for the info about Say You Love Me replacing Save Me- boo! Love is Dangerous was great live, Stevie and Rick played off each other well, and it sounded like the album version. Definitely an advantage of having 2 guitar players in the studio AND on the road, instead of having a studio guitarist hidden in the back of the stage playing while Lindsey was up front.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Agh the only place I can find the full doc online is Throwndown.net (or an archive of it) and that torrent is definitely dead by now.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Save Me was a staple in the set. During the "Farewell tour" in late 1990 the band played switched Save Me to Say You Love Me later in the tour. I thought it was the entire Farewell tour until I saw shows on youtube. The opening nights in Florida the band was still playing Save Me (saw it on youtube). I saw the band in November 1990 and they played Say You Love Me instead. I think the band was saying goodbye and Say You Love Me was a classic and better known than Save Me.

bwboy there are eras the band wont touch. The Bob Welch era, Time era, and the Rick and Billy era. IF Rick and Billy came back then it would definitely happened playing BTM songs. Expect all the hits and the deeper cuts will come from pre-Nicks era.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-24-2018 at 04:27 AM..
Old 04-24-2018, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
bwboy there are eras the band wont touch. The Bob Welch era, Time era, and the Rick and Billy era. IF Rick and Billy came back then it would definitely happened playing BTM songs. Expect all the hits and the deeper cuts will come from pre-Nicks era.
I know I'm probably just dreaming, but there's always a chance. After all, we were all shocked when FM performed Silver Springs on the Dance! No one saw that coming.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I know I'm probably just dreaming, but there's always a chance. After all, we were all shocked when FM performed Silver Springs on the Dance! No one saw that coming.
Dreaming is ok, its what gets us through this thing called life. IMHO even if Christine wanted to do Save Me, I don't think they would do it because it would be odd to play Rick and Billy's music while not letting them back in the band. There are certain eras of the Mac that are sealed in a tomb to never be heard live again. Don't get me wrong, I would love to hear such songs. I just know it wont happen.
I don't think Silver Springs was a huge surprise IMHO. It was the 20th anniversary of Rumours and it was fresh and such a great song especially live. It made sense after bringing all 5 members back together again. They needed something new or fresh and it worked perfectly. I believe this tour will dig deep into Rumours. I expect Oh Daddy and possibly I don't want to know in the mix. The band really plays so many Rumours tunes live. But now Never Going Back Again, Second Hand News, and possibly Go Your Own Way wont be there.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-24-2018 at 06:25 AM..