User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
As Long As You Follow may be my favorite Christine song. Did she ever perform this live? It's on my wish list for this upcoming concert....really want to hear it.
She's never performed it live, but if she did this upcoming tour, I would completely freak out! That song is such a beautiful tribute to the fans, I think, and since it's on their greatest hits album, even the most casual fan is familiar with it. I know it's unlikely, but I'm hoping against hope FM will perform it this year, maybe in place of Think About Me.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:10 PM
McLamb
This message has been deleted by McLamb.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLamb View Post
Behind The Mask is my second favourite Fleetwood Mac album, right behind Bare Trees.

When Behind The Mask came out, it seemed odd that Side One (at 31 minutes) was much longer than Side Two (at 25 minutes). Way back then, I took a 60-minute cassette tape, and rearranged the track-listing so that it came out to 28 minutes per side:

Side One
1. When The Sun Goes Down
2. When It Comes To Love
3. Save Me
4. Affairs Of The Heart
5. Behind The Mask
6. Do You Know
7. The Second Time

Side Two
1. In The Back Of My Mind
2. Freedom
3. Stand On The Rock
4. Hard Feelings
5. Love Is Dangerous
6. Skies The Limit

I've kept this running order in my i-Tunes playlist, as that's what I'm become accustomed to. A big plus is that Christine's voice is the last one heard on this arrangement!
Very cool, McLamb. I've always found the track listing of BTM rather fascinating. I thought In the Back of My Mind would have been an interesting way to start the album, but Skies the Limit was probably appropriate because it's a Christine song, and they wanted to begin with a known quantity, so to speak.

I also find it interesting that Christine practically disappears after track 8, which is Behind the Mask. Her songs should have been more spread out. It would have been nice to have 2 of her songs on side one and 2 on side two. Seems weird she only had 4 songs on the album, but with 4 songwriters in the band, I guess it makes sense.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Very cool, McLamb. I've always found the track listing of BTM rather fascinating. I thought In the Back of My Mind would have been an interesting way to start the album, but Skies the Limit was probably appropriate because it's a Christine song, and they wanted to begin with a known quantity, so to speak.

I also find it interesting that Christine practically disappears after track 8, which is Behind the Mask. Her songs should have been more spread out. It would have been nice to have 2 of her songs on side one and 2 on side two. Seems weird she only had 4 songs on the album, but with 4 songwriters in the band, I guess it makes sense.
I remember an interview in 1990 and Skies the Limit was a last minute addition to the album. After the album was complete the band was worried the album sounded too dark for a Fleetwood Mac album. Christine's title track was not her usual peppy love song. Christine wrote Skies the limit rather fast and they recorded the track and slapped it right up front to dwarf the dark sound.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I remember an interview in 1990 and Skies the Limit was a last minute addition to the album. After the album was complete the band was worried the album sounded too dark for a Fleetwood Mac album. Christine's title track was not her usual peppy love song. Christine wrote Skies the limit rather fast and they recorded the track and slapped it right up front to dwarf the dark sound.
Thanks for the info, Macfan4life! You always have the coolest trivia and I appreciate it. If Christine and Eddy could whip up a song like Skies the Limit that fast, they were even a better songwriting team than I'd thought! But did they replace another Christine song with Skies? I can't believe she originally had only 3 songs on the album- and one was a duet, even!
Old 05-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Imagine if the album had had Love Shines and Heaet of Stone!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Macfan4life! You always have the coolest trivia and I appreciate it. If Christine and Eddy could whip up a song like Skies the Limit that fast, they were even a better songwriting team than I'd thought! But did they replace another Christine song with Skies? I can't believe she originally had only 3 songs on the album- and one was a duet, even!
That piece of trivia came from Dick Clark's countdown show in 1990. He used to host this adult contemporary radio top 30 countdown. I was in college in a far away place where this was on the radio. I was not even aware there was a second single after Save Me because I never heard Skies the Limit on the radio ever except on this show. Apparently the song charted on Adult contemporary charts in late 1990. So I would listen every Sunday and hear these tid bits every week. I don't believe the song replaced another but there were no usual Christine peppy love songs on BTM. Even Save Me is not really a love song in the typical Christine fashion. Usually she is singing how wonderful she is in love. Save me she is not in love and just begging to be given that chance. So in a panic Skies the limit was written quickly and put on the album track one. Problem solved.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Skies the Limit but can you imagine if it was a Buckingham produced track?
Old 05-13-2018, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Skies The Limit
Victim of Love
Intuition
Freedom
Save Me
In The Back of My Mind
-
Behind the Mask
Got No Home
Affairs of the Heart
Do You Know
When the Sun Goes Down
Love Is Dangerous
Game of Love

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I love Skies the Limit but can you imagine if it was a Buckingham produced track?
Hmmm... I love Skies the Limit pretty much as is, and certainly a lot more than Mystified or You and I. I think Lindsey did a great job with most of Christine's songs, but Save Me, Love Shines, As Long As You Follow, and Behind the Mask are as good and in some cases better than her earlier songs like Oh Daddy, Say You Love Me, Only Over You, or Love in Store. And don't get me wrong, I like some of those songs, too, but they're pretty lightweight. I have a feeling Save Me by Lindsey would have been less guitar driven, for example. Just my opinion, of course.

Btw, I've read posts where people said the album BTM sounded muddled or wasn't produced well. I would love to know what they mean, specifically. I know little about how music is produced, I guess, and so it can be hard for me to understand those kind of comments. For example, how can one tell if the fault is in the production or in the performance itself? If the sound is 'muddled,' isn't that more an engineering issue? I'd really love feedback about this sort of technical question.

The only FM example I can really think of as sounding muddled is Goodbye Baby from Say You Will, especially the beginning. It sounds like a demo or outtake, rather than a finished song. I figured if I noticed the poor sound quality, it must be pretty obvious LOL!
Old 05-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Skies The Limit
Victim of Love
Intuition
Freedom
Save Me
In The Back of My Mind
-
Behind the Mask
Got No Home
Affairs of the Heart
Do You Know
When the Sun Goes Down
Love Is Dangerous
Game of Love
Is this your preferred track list for BTM, SteveMacD? I love Game of Love and can't believe it didn't make the cut- one of my favorites and so underrated and catchy! And Intuition is my favorite Rick Vito song and would have been great on BTM.

Please please please let there be a Deluxe Edition of Behind the Mask! I know, wishful thinking...
Old 05-13-2018, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is this your preferred track list for BTM, SteveMacD? I love Game of Love and can't believe it didn't make the cut- one of my favorites and so underrated and catchy! And Intuition is my favorite Rick Vito song and would have been great on BTM.

Please please please let there be a Deluxe Edition of Behind the Mask! I know, wishful thinking...
It is.

I really hope they do a Deluxe on this one. They won’t, because of it wasn’t a hit by FM standards, and because people will wonder WTF the band was thinking with the final track listing. They made a great album, they just didn’t release it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-13-2018, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

How were those tracks made available?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
They made a great album, they just didn’t release it.
Bare Trees is another I play around with…

Child of Mine
The Ghost
Homeward Bound
Sunny Side of Heaven
-
Bare Trees (w/ Danny’s Chant intro)
Sentimental Lady
Spare Me A Little of Your Love
Trinity
Dust

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-14-2018, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
How were those tracks made available?
TrueFaith77, Intuition was on Rick Vito's solo album from the 1990s and Stevie sang backup on it. You can hear 2 of the songs if you type "Intuition Rick Vito and Stevie Nicks" and "the Game of Love Fleetwood Mac" on YouTube. Victim of Love is harder to find, it's by Billy Burnette and is a blues rocker type song, but I haven't heard it in a long time.

Intuition is really good, probably the best vocal I've ever heard from Rick. The Game of Love is just a catchy song but for some reason I really love it. Give 'em a listen on YouTube and let us know what you think.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hmmm... I love Skies the Limit pretty much as is, and certainly a lot more than Mystified or You and I. I think Lindsey did a great job with most of Christine's songs, but Save Me, Love Shines, As Long As You Follow, and Behind the Mask are as good and in some cases better than her earlier songs like Oh Daddy, Say You Love Me, Only Over You, or Love in Store. And don't get me wrong, I like some of those songs, too, but they're pretty lightweight. I have a feeling Save Me by Lindsey would have been less guitar driven, for example. Just my opinion, of course.

Btw, I've read posts where people said the album BTM sounded muddled or wasn't produced well. I would love to know what they mean, specifically. I know little about how music is produced, I guess, and so it can be hard for me to understand those kind of comments. For example, how can one tell if the fault is in the production or in the performance itself? If the sound is 'muddled,' isn't that more an engineering issue? I'd really love feedback about this sort of technical question.

The only FM example I can really think of as sounding muddled is Goodbye Baby from Say You Will, especially the beginning. It sounds like a demo or outtake, rather than a finished song. I figured if I noticed the poor sound quality, it must be pretty obvious LOL!
Skies the Limit is pure pop greatness from Christine. While no longer cranking out to 40 hits since the music industry was changing, the song still proved she still had the formula. She can make simple phrases like You make loving fun into gooey love songs. Skies the limit uses the same formula. I particularly love the keyboard beginning because its classic Christine the way she plays. All 4 singers harmonizing sounds pretty good too. The video was excellent too. If my memory is correct it was filmed in Red Rocks, Colorado. I had to look this up but the song peaked at #10 on adult contemporary charts. Always loved the crack of the drum right before the vocals start. Save me barely cracked the top 40 but had a great video. Fleetwood Mac's first album with no Stevie Nicks single or hit. Times were a changing

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-14-2018 at 07:41 AM..