The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Can we talk about Christine's Time songs?

I just listened to all of time again, a few years after my first and only listen- and I'm kicking myself that it didn't give Christine's songs more of a chance! They're all FANTASTIC. Her voice is the best I've ever heard it (besides Tango, but she's heavily edited there) and the production of each song blows what was done to her BTM songs out of the water. Nights in Estoril is climbing as one of my favorites of hers, All Over Again is the best farewell to Fleetwood Mac she could have written, and Sooner or Later's tinge of darkness makes it stand out from most of her poppy love songs. Hollywood and I Do are pretty good as well but I'm not on the same level with them yet as I am with the first three. It won't be long at this rate though.

I'm surprised these don't get more credit by fans. Is it just because of their parent album? What do y'all think of them?

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I am a HUGE Christine McVie fan and LOVE all of her music back to Chicken Shack and early Mac. There is very little from her that I don't like. So ranking her songs for me is hard because they are so good. Having said that....Nights in Estoril is probably in my top 5 ALL TIME Christine favorites. The rest of Time I am not crazy about. But this one song is worth it on the album.
Her keyboard playing on the song.... so amazing
Her lyrics so romantic
Her singing so strong

If I ever won the Powerball Lottery and won 200 million. I would pay for a private Mac concert. This song I would pay for them to play (even though Lindsey would have to learn it)

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-20-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Old 06-21-2017, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I also love all of Christine's work over the years and the songs on Time are as good as any others. It was a strange chapter for the MAC in 1995 but Christine kept some consistency. I have said this many times I think she is at her best with Lindsey driving the bus. I feel the same way about Stevie's songs. I just love Lindsey's production work with the MAC. It's a shame we only have 7 studio albums worth of music in 42 years. These Time songs would have been even better with LB behind the wheel.

Last edited by BLY; 06-21-2017 at 06:59 AM..
Old 06-28-2017, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a fan of Christine's TIME work. I remember when the album came out and I bought it with trepidation. I was worried that her voice had deteriorated (I thought she was old THEN.) Imagine my genuine excitement when I heard how lovely she sang! I heard "I Do"--a song I don't particularly like--and didn't care. She sounded so damn good on it!

I was also impressed with the Billy-Bekka collaborations, but that's for another thread.

As far as Christine's TIME songs, I'd say "Hollywood," "Nights In Estoril," and "Sooner or Later" are excellent.

The other two, "I Do" and "All Over Again" are pleasant and beautifully sung, but sorely in need of more imaginative arrangements.

A nagging issue I have with some of her TIME material is the blasted keyboard she's using. That tinny, 80s wedding band texture that might have destroyed "Hollywood" and "Nights" is they weren't such good songs.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I Do is the classic Christine McVie bubble gum, most unmistakably Fleetwood Mac-sounding song on the album. Nights In Estoril is the more "modern" Christine sound, which is probably my favorite. All Over Again is the one that makes me sad, catchy and clever though it might be.

Hollywood and Sooner or Later are painfully unnecessarily long, both by well over a minute. The tedium can be a little too much to handle. Like, on Hollywood, why bother taking up album space with a guitar solo when the guitarist isn't in the band? As for Sooner or Later, the intro was about twice as long as it needed to be, the break between the second and third verses goes absolutely nowhere, and the fade out could have started about a minute and a half earlier.

Overall, she was in fine voice, although I agree about the generic keyboards, and I think the guitars sound pretty generic, too (except on I Do).

In the context of the album, I still prefer the Bekka & Billy songs. They have the energy and spark of a real band. The Dave Mason songs don't do a lot for me as a fan of Fleetwood Mac or as a fan of his. I'd rather have had the remake of "The Bigger the Love" and a Billy-Christine duet, which would have tied it all together.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Ledgie

Absolutely love all of Christine's songs on Time. My favourite has to be "Nights In Estoril", though "I Do" is right up there as well. "All Over Again" is a great sentimental song, that would be right at home being played alongside "Givin' It Back" from In The Meantime.

It's a shame Time went nowhere, and the band doesn't seem to acknowledge it nowadays. Overall, it's not among my favourite FM albums, but worth having for the five Christine songs, plus opening track "Talkin' To My Heart".
Old 04-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why, Dolores, Why ?!?!?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The SiriusXM channel has been playing Time tracks! I've heard "I Do" a couple of times now, as well as "Nights In Estoril" just this afternoon.

Also caught "Blow By Blow" and "Talkin' To My Heart". Not favorites by any means, but still cool to hear them on the radio.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hollywood was nothing we wouldn't expect from her. I Do was just cookie cutter Christine. But I love the other three.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
I Do was just cookie cutter Christine.
Which is exactly why I can’t say Lindsey was responsible for the “Fleetwood Mac sound.” Those three had it down. “Cookie cutter Christine” goes back to at least Bare Trees.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-22-2018, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Which is exactly why I can’t say Lindsey was responsible for the “Fleetwood Mac sound.” Those three had it down. “Cookie cutter Christine” goes back to at least Bare Trees.
Maybe so but I still think it was a naff choice for a single. Exactly the kind of thing to make people think "Nothing we wouldn't expect from them." I don't say that about a lot of the hits. Nights In Estoril would have made a good summer hit - pity the album came out in October.
I wish Mick would just say definitively that the group does not exist anymore. Then we can edit Wikipedia and get rid of all this crap about the surviving members of the 2018-19 lineup comprising a current configuration.

Thanks to Mick and all erstwhile members for the good times.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
Maybe so but I still think it was a naff choice for a single. Exactly the kind of thing to make people think "Nothing we wouldn't expect from them."
Kind of the point. It was the “hey, we’re still Fleetwood Mac, as we’ve been.” Didn’t matter who wasn’t there…

Quote:
I don't say that about a lot of the hits. Nights In Estoril would have made a good summer hit - pity the album came out in October.
And, too bad Lindsey was back in the picture…

“Talkin’ To My Heart” was the most obvious choice for a single, IMO.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Kind of the point. It was the “hey, we’re still Fleetwood Mac, as we’ve been.” Didn’t matter who wasn’t there…

And, too bad Lindsey was back in the picture…

“Talkin’ To My Heart” was the most obvious choice for a single, IMO.
Killer song!