Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Arrow taste

We can't discusse human taste, BTM has lovely and less lovely songs.

Everybody talks about add.mixes, pre-recordings, bootlegs and more. Here in Europe, Africa, Mid East, Australia,..... we don't know nothing

Through the last 20 years we've been totally ignored by FM. Thanks to the internet, it's possible to communicate with other people all over the world.
For us it's - mostely- just not possible to discusse several options concerning all these albums.
For me, that means, my opinion is related to my taste. I was just not thrilled by BTM, in some way "TIME" was even better.

But that is my meaning, i hope you understand,,
Will
Old 01-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hi Will... I can definitely understand where you're coming from.
And trust me, I know how you feel. Before I found the internet, I was the one and only person I knew who was a huge Fleetwood Mac fan.
So I was almost entirely clueless that any of this stuff existed.

It wasn't until 1990, that I even knew anything about unreleased demos circulating, and I only found that out because I happened to respond to an ad I saw in the back of Rolling Stone.
The guy said he was selling rare Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks songs, and for a self-addressed stamped envelope, he'd send out the list of what he had in his collection.
I was expecting to see soundtrack and b-side stuff like "Sleeping Angel," and "Cool Water," but I was still curious to see if he had anything i didn't, so I responded.

When I received his list, I was FLOORED when I read titles for songs I had never even heard of... "She Loves Him Still," "The Dealer," and on and on. In fact, I was actually really skeptical that this stuff was even on the up & up, so I didn't bother ordering anything!

When Marty created The Ledge in 1997, and I had the opportunity to actually converse with other fans, I felt really out of the loop to find that there were dozens and dozens of songs I had never heard, or even heard of.

Trust me, if we left it up to hearing about these things thru the band, we'd all still be in the dark... so i'm extremely grateful for the huge internet fan community, and all the generous people who help us all expand our collections on a continual basis.

Will, the 'Behind The Mask' alternate takes, etc., are sometimes posted to download on one site or another... so keep your eyes peeled.
And if I notice anyone posting them, I'll definitely let you know here. I think you'd enjoy them.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello Will!!!

The alt. takes for the BTM stuff are a must. I would send you mine, but the great comp. crash of 2001 deleted them from my hard drive. So, sorry!!!!

Stevie's alternate "Affairs of the Heart" is just so much better production wise. It is almost like, "what were they thinking!!!"

Happy Hunting!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-23-2004, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love to hear Lindsey redo "Freedom." I always thought that song had potential, but the production just killed it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just wanna say a big "HELLO" to SteveMacD!

It's about time you worked your way here after all these years. The AMFM newsgroup getting a bit much for you these days?
Old 01-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's about time you worked your way here after all these years. The AMFM newsgroup getting a bit much for you these days?
The newsgroup used to be pretty good, but it's gone steadily downhill in the past year. The Ledge is to blame! Once I found the Ledge, why would I want to fool with the newsgroup(although I still check it daily)
Old 01-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by HomerMcvie
...why would I want to fool with the newsgroup (although I still check it daily)

Ditto.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I guess I just wanted to get my point across that this is NOT as bad an album as it is made out to be, and I see that some people agree.

Now...to hunt down those outtakes!

Shamus
Old 01-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

(Just realizing I'm beginning to repeat things...)

Thanks all!

Yeah, the AMFM is pretty dead now. The big reason I came to the Ledge, though, was because of the Peter Green situation. I hadn't heard anything in a while, and was a bit concerned. In any event, it's nice to see so much discussion on all the incarnations.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 01-27-2004 at 04:37 PM..
Old 01-27-2004, 03:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Hello Will!!!

The alt. takes for the BTM stuff are a must. I would send you mine, but the great comp. crash of 2001 deleted them from my hard drive. So, sorry!!!!

Stevie's alternate "Affairs of the Heart" is just so much better production wise. It is almost like, "what were they thinking!!!"

Happy Hunting!!!!
I already tried to hunt some on the internet, didn't found anything yet.

But i will, (do) you'll know
Will
Old 01-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
But the overall sound of the production has always left a bit to be desired.

I was wondering how this could have happened or why they would choose to release something that could be done better? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I could be wrong but I kind of equate a less polished sound with the Then Play On album. Is this what your trying to describe the BTM as sounding like?

I realize the recording technology had vastly improved from Then Play On 1969 to Behind The Mask 1990 but I really like the less polished sound of Then Play On. Maybe this didn't work on BTM but on Then Play On it gave the recording a sort of 'live' feel and dates the recording to the sound of 1969.

Last edited by greenfire; 01-29-2004 at 08:37 PM..
Old 02-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Smile BTM

I just watched the Tango video and was thinking what a good job Rick Vito did! He really rocked and for only a couple of days to prepare. His and Billy B. contibution was greatly appreciated. I have listened to this cd many many times. In the back of your mind I thought was a billant song. Christine was a great as ever. She has never really gotten the notoriety that she deserves. If you think about it Stevie wasn't doing all that well. I mean the really bad incident that happened with Lindsey. I don't think she was happy at all with her self at that time. It just wasn't her Stevie work that was being produced. She obviously didn't like her singing or she wouldn't of had so much effects added to her voice on most of her tracks. And especially on the concert video. OMG that was dredful! But over all the BTM cd was a great album. What happened to Rick Vito?? Or Billy Burnette? You know for being such a MACie I never heard of the Time album????????? Can someone fill me in??????

D~
Old 02-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by greenfire
I was wondering how this could have happened or why they would choose to release something that could be done better? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I could be wrong but I kind of equate a less polished sound with the Then Play On album. Is this what your trying to describe the BTM as sounding like?
We're not talking about "polished" less or more. We're talking about a bad mix & a production style that steamroll over the little sonic surprises we had come to expect from Fleetwood Mac albums. As for why FM chose to release it, they released it because *they* liked it & the work Greg Ladanyi did on it.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: BTM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystical88
What happened to Rick Vito?? Or Billy Burnette? You know for being such a MACie I never heard of the Time album????????? Can someone fill me in??????
Rick Vito: go to Official Rick Vito website

Billy Burnette: go to Official Billy Burnette website

The Time album came out in October 1995 AFTER the band had completed their 15 month tour.
The personnel for the tour was:
Mick Fleetwood: drums/percussion
John McVie: bass
Billy Burnette: guitar, vocals
Dave Mason: guitar vocals
Bekka Bramlett: vocals
Steve Thoma: keyboards, background vocals

The personnel on the album was:
Mick, John, Billy, Dave, Bekka and Christine McVie.
with Michael Thompson playing guitar on Christine's songs only...no Dave Mason on her tunes. Steve Thoma played keyboards on the non-Christine tunes.

Last edited by chiliD; 02-08-2004 at 06:25 PM..
Old 02-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

Duh why didn't I think of that.... THe Billy B. in't cpming up. But will look... Thanks