Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I have never seen this video, it sounds like it is a horrid performance!
Two worst performances of Gold Dust Woman. In 1981 and 1983 Stevie's band did a much darker rocking version that is the best to this date IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCI_6U2TNak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyJF...=RDXyJF-mB6q94
Old 10-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm... I'm gonna have to check out the Boston version again. I don't remember thinking it was that great, or at least that memorable. Maybe there was some sort of vocal thing Stevie did during the Boston version that I didn't care for? Something like "uh-uh" or like that?
Old 10-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Two worst performances of Gold Dust Woman. In 1981 and 1983 Stevie's band did a much darker rocking version that is the best to this date IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCI_6U2TNak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyJF...=RDXyJF-mB6q94
What's interesting is that the '89 version of the song is actually kinda cool musically. Very cheesy keyboards but they definitely put an eerie, twisted mood on the song. It's a shame her vocals are so lifeless and her performance is so blah.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 10-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
What's interesting is that the '89 version of the song is actually kinda cool musically. Very cheesy keyboards but they definitely put an eerie, twisted mood on the song. It's a shame her vocals are so lifeless and her performance is so blah.
Your statement about an eerie twisted mood more describes the Wild Heart tour version. The 1989 version is a cheezy keyboard mess IMHO
Old 10-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Your statement about an eerie twisted mood more describes the Wild Heart tour version. The 1989 version is a cheezy keyboard mess IMHO
Gotta admit, sometimes I get in the mood and really love a little 80s keyboard mess .

That horrible doorbell sound will forever hold place in my heart

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 11-24-2018, 02:29 PM
Ledgie

You've got to have Lizard People on a deluxe edition, it's better than half the album!
Old 11-25-2018, 01:44 AM
Ledgie

"Pain in the balls.... of your feet"

I unironically love Lizard People.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
It seems unlikely a Deluxe Edition of Behind the Mask will be released
Now that Lindsey is not in the band, probably Mick is thinking in this idea. I would be glad to get some new material from those sessions. But yes I agree it still seems unlikely, since the album was not enough succesful.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conga View Post
"Pain in the balls.... of your feet"

I unironically love Lizard People.
I want the 20 min version of Lizard People.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My wish list for Behind the Mask involves it never having happened.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-24-2019, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My wish list for Behind the Mask involves it never having happened.
Right.

Let's wipe away Behind the Mask and Skies the Limit and all the rest - even the one Stevie soft spot The Second Time.

Heresy!
Old 08-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Right.

Let's wipe away Behind the Mask and Skies the Limit and all the rest - even the one Stevie soft spot The Second Time.

Heresy!
To push my iconoclasm in everybody's face, I actually rather like Second Time. Stevie drops her pretensions and poses, and lets us hear her at a vulnerable moment. It truly feels much more authentic to me than Freedom or Affairs of the Heart - I'm not bluffing. By 1990, I was really bored with the Stevie Nicks mystique and wanted something different. I wanted to scrape off all that "moon spirit" crap (which was a lot less charismatic in a zonked-out singer in her mid 40s than it was fifteen years earlier) by then and see a rebirth of Stevie's artistry, whatever it actually looked like. And I suppose there are other moments on the album that are good enough - good hooks, good drumming, good vocal harmonies (because Rick and Billy were superb harmony singers, which they never got any credit for in Fleetwood Mac). But the album was mostly a throwaway. People have accused me of coming to that conclusion only in hindsight, but that's not true. I haven't changed my mind about it since 1990. The sound of it isn't even desperately commercial (the way Say You Will or Mirage always sound like they're trying to "tap in" to something in the radio audience), but it's the sound of a band that has kind of given up and just wants to take the road most traveled. It has that air of grabbing anyone who walks by that we were talking about in another thread. I don't think there was much inspiration in the people who made Behind the Mask, including songs, instrumentation (it's very impersonal - none of those quirks you came to associate with the instrumentalists in Fleetwood Mac from 1967 to 1987), cover art, and so on. Even the B sides are hopeless. The decisions the band made about almost everything give me the sense of having been drawn out of a hat quite at random. It's a good lesson for Fleetwood Mac and other bands: If you're not feeling particularly inspired, keep the work low key. Don't try making a "statement." That's the beauty of the band's next album, Time. It isn't any more brilliant or any less generic, but it's low key and modest, and that gives it a little charm.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-30-2019, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To push my iconoclasm in everybody's face, I actually rather like Second Time. Stevie drops her pretensions and poses, and lets us hear her at a vulnerable moment. It truly feels much more authentic to me than Freedom or Affairs of the Heart - I'm not bluffing. By 1990, I was really bored with the Stevie Nicks mystique and wanted something different. I wanted to scrape off all that "moon spirit" crap (which was a lot less charismatic in a zonked-out singer in her mid 40s than it was fifteen years earlier) by then and see a rebirth of Stevie's artistry, whatever it actually looked like. And I suppose there are other moments on the album that are good enough - good hooks, good drumming, good vocal harmonies (because Rick and Billy were superb harmony singers, which they never got any credit for in Fleetwood Mac). But the album was mostly a throwaway. People have accused me of coming to that conclusion only in hindsight, but that's not true. I haven't changed my mind about it since 1990. The sound of it isn't even desperately commercial (the way Say You Will or Mirage always sound like they're trying to "tap in" to something in the radio audience), but it's the sound of a band that has kind of given up and just wants to take the road most traveled. It has that air of grabbing anyone who walks by that we were talking about in another thread. I don't think there was much inspiration in the people who made Behind the Mask, including songs, instrumentation (it's very impersonal - none of those quirks you came to associate with the instrumentalists in Fleetwood Mac from 1967 to 1987), cover art, and so on. Even the B sides are hopeless. The decisions the band made about almost everything give me the sense of having been drawn out of a hat quite at random. It's a good lesson for Fleetwood Mac and other bands: If you're not feeling particularly inspired, keep the work low key. Don't try making a "statement." That's the beauty of the band's next album, Time. It isn't any more brilliant or any less generic, but it's low key and modest, and that gives it a little charm.
Read this post around the time you sent it up onto the boards and did not know what to write in response, David.

Are you a music reviewer in your day job? If not, perhaps you need a career change. Are you David Wilde?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have never disliked a Mac album as much as BEHIND THE MASK. I have felt this way since the day it was released. In my opinion, only “Save Me” achieves the minimum standard. Your comments about Stevie are right on: by 1990, I was open to hearing anything other than the tired mystical fantasies. When “Blue Denim” arrived a couple years later, I was genuinely enthusiastic about her for the first time since “Imperial Hotel.”

I did like TIME, in part because it surfaced from nowhere, and because Christine’s vocals were excellent (even if the keyboard she was playing sounded awful). Add to this that the band were no longer pretending to be what they were, were stretching out and trying new things....Bekka and Billy were earthy and modest. I liked their chemistry.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

BTM has lots of fantastic qualities.

You can hear Christine playing keyboards (again) on so many songs and her style is revealed again and is so refreshing compared to the programmed tracks on Tango

You hear the classic Mac rhythm section again on all the songs. Even songs that are not great like Stand on the Rock, the Mac's rhythm section is fired up

Love all the vocalists singing together. Stevie and Billy. Christine and Billy. Stevie and Rick. No need to fake Stevie's voice like on Tango

I posted this before but I think half the album is excellent. Its not pop driven and holds up. The other half is not great and pulls the album down a bit.

I am in the minority but live the album cover. I understand none of them wanted to be on the cover so with that in mind what could you do. I love the mystery and so much tiny detail does tell a story.

Like Tango, Stevie brought some poor songs. In her haze, she was not writing great songs anymore and it would have been worth it to pull out an oldie.

Its comparing apples and oranges but I like BTM better than Tango. Its a group effort and Christine shines with her songs and keyboard playing. Gosh just listening to her layers or bridgey solos are amazing. You could strip all vocals and music and just listen to the keyboards on the songs and know its Fleetwood Mac. That is how dominant her style of playing is.