User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2019 Movie Reviews

A new year has dawned.

1. The Prodigy, grade C- = horror movie, there are a couple of good moments in this movie but it doesn’t make up for the weird pacing and lame ending. This is a Netflix movie.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

2. Can You Ever Forgive Me? grade B = true story about a writer who is poor and can’t pay her bills so she starts writing fake memorabilia letters from famous authors and eventually gets caught. Melissa McCarthy gives a good performance. This came out in 2018 and she is nominated for an Oscar for her performance. It’s just a nice movie.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

3. Alita Battle Angel, grade B = unique movie that somehow manages to be predictable but new. The best things about this movie are the fight scenes and the dystopian visuals. It’s a cross between Aen Flux, Blade Runner and the Terminator. Worst thing about this movie is that the ending is just there to set up a sequel and could have been better.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:45 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
3. Alita Battle Angel, grade B
I just saw this last night and ended up hating it. Went in with no expectations though. Right out of the gate the movie was trouble for me because I didn't care about the characters or what was happening. The story should've been stronger, and it didn't hook me. Then the movie became laughable which was fun. A lot of the other patrons were chuckling during what were supposed to be the big dramatic moments in the movie. 4/10
Old 02-17-2019, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I just saw this last night and ended up hating it. Went in with no expectations though. Right out of the gate the movie was trouble for me because I didn't care about the characters or what was happening. The story should've been stronger, and it didn't hook me. Then the movie became laughable which was fun. A lot of the other patrons were chuckling during what were supposed to be the big dramatic moments in the movie. 4/10
Yeah there are a lot of people who didn’t like it but I did like the main character. I’m into sci-fi and used to read Manga. I liked it more than most because of the different cyborgs and action. The story was sort of lame though, especially for sci-fi, but I did like the world. I totally understand your opinion though.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:42 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah there are a lot of people who didn’t like it but I did like the main character. I’m into sci-fi and used to read Manga. I liked it more than most because of the different cyborgs and action. The story was sort of lame though, especially for sci-fi, but I did like the world. I totally understand your opinion though.
I'm totally into sci-fi too, but Blade Runner it was not. Not that I expected it to be at that level. And as gorgeous as the film was, it was just lacking in everything underneath... so if there is an "Alita 2" I'm hopping off the bandwagon now.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm totally into sci-fi too, but Blade Runner it was not. Not that I expected it to be at that level. And as gorgeous as the film was, it was just lacking in everything underneath... so if there is an "Alita 2" I'm hopping off the bandwagon now.
I didn’t say it was Blade Runner. I said it was a mixture of things. I think this movie is a niche movie. I liked that world even though it could of been done better.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:36 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I didn’t say it was Blade Runner. I said it was a mixture of things. I think this movie is a niche movie. I liked that world even though it could of been done better.
haha, I know you didn't say... I said it! Not that I judge every sci-fi movie to a Blade Runner-standard.

You know a movie that really surprised me recently was "Us And Them"... it's on Netflix. Very touching.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
haha, I know you didn't say... I said it! Not that I judge every sci-fi movie to a Blade Runner-standard.

You know a movie that really surprised me recently was "Us And Them"... it's on Netflix. Very touching.
Hmm never even heard of that one
Old 03-10-2019, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

4. Captain Marvel, grade C = very disappointed in this movie, but I don’t know why. I never really liked the trailers. The movie is just ok. It’s not terrible but it’s not really good either. It’s slow to start and has pacing problems. There is something very off about Brie Larson’s performance. She doesn’t feel comfortable in the role. I’ve come to the conclusion that she was just miscast. At the end of the movie, I still couldn’t tell you what Captain Marvel’s personality really is. Very odd. The supporting cast is better. Oh well still excited for End Game. This is not one Marvels best movies but it’s not the worst. Toward the bottom though. She deserved better.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

5. Captive State, grade D+ = I’m still confused over the plot of this movie. It’s a bad knockoff of Independence Day and V. Aliens take over the world and the movie is about the resistance, only there is not much action, the plot is confusing and the movie is boring. I was glad when it was over.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

6. Shazam, grade A- = this is a well made superhero movie for a younger crowd. Think Harry Potter. Think Goosebumps. Those are what this movie reminded me of. I liked it for what it was but didn’t know it was really for teenagers when I saw it. There are also big themes about family and diversity (of course). It’s a safe bet for a family movie.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

7. Pet Sematary, grade C- = starts off ok with plenty of atmosphere but then descends into a B movie. It’s a remake of a very bad horror movie and is only slightly better. I will say that the acting is good and it does have some creepy moments but is not scary. The ending is pretty quick and lame.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

8. US, grade B- = US isn’t for everyone. Some people I know hated it, while others loved it. I’m in between. It’s a movie about cloning and conspiracy theories. It’s supposed to be a horror movie but I wouldn’t call it scary. US is interesting and unique. There nothing quite like it. It’s lke a long episode of the the Twilight Zone. It’s well acted and I liked the cinematography but I’m not sure I want to sit through it again.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

9. Curse of La Llorona, grade D+ = this movie sucks, it’s full of jump scares and there is not enough history about the villain. Also, there is not enough build up or story. It’s part of the Conjuring universe but it’s a bad entry. The only thing I really liked was the main actress. She has been in a lot of small roles and always does a good job.