User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default For Rock Hall's consideration: Stevie Nicks as a solo artist

January 27th, 2011

As a member of Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks was one of the key songwriters (along with Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie), who wrote some the band’s most memorable hits of the 1970s including “Rhiannon”, “Landslide”, and the Mac’s sole chart-topper “Dreams”.

But there is more to the story of one of rock’s most eccentric and mystical artists. Nicks’s musical odyssey began in the late 1960s in the San Francisco Bay Area in a band called Fritz. Then after the phenomenal success with Fleetwood Mac, she went solo in the 1980s. With hit albums like 1981’s Bella Donna and 1983’s The Wild Heart, and hit singles like “Stop Dragging My Heart Around”, “Stand Back” and “Rooms on Fire”, Nicks had truly established herself a successful solo career, while still being a member of Fleetwood Mac.

But whether as a solo artist or part of Fleetwood Mac, Nicks is a musical legend in her own right, having became a inspiration of countless women artists including Sheryl Crow, Courtney Love, Mary J. Blige, and Taylor Swift. Artists including the Smashing Pumpkins, Dixie Chicks, and Destiny’s Child have either sampled of covered (and even have hits with) her songs. Nicks is considered one if not the most original artist, when it came to her mystical that not only appearing in her wardrobe, but has transcended into her songs. And the journey of Stevie Nicks continues, as she will release a new album this year. And she could even be the first female artist to receive a second induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Time will tell.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Stevie Nicks, eligible since 2006. Inducted as member of Fleetwood Mac, 1998.

http://www.examiner.com/rock-n-roll-...-a-solo-artist
Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got chills from reading this. How amazing would it be if she got in as a solo artist! My dream induction ceremony would be Heart being inducted, at the same time as Stevie Solo
Old 01-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

IT better happen soon! People say it won't since she was already inducted as a member of Fleetwood Mac, but I disagree. I think it'd be rather amazing to have a woman inducted twice and I think Stevie is the only one capable of holding that crown.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
IT better happen soon! People say it won't since she was already inducted as a member of Fleetwood Mac, but I disagree. I think it'd be rather amazing to have a woman inducted twice and I think Stevie is the only one capable of holding that crown.
So few women are inducted AT ALL.

No Ronstadt, no Wilson sisters, no Benatar. All highly influential women who actually rocked. Who is among the women inducted? Madonna. This tells me everything I need to know about this sham. I do not hate Madonna (at all). But Rock&Roll HoF? Sham.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket View Post

No Ronstadt, no Wilson sisters, no Benatar. All highly influential women who actually rocked. Who is among the women inducted? Madonna. This tells me everything I need to know about this sham. I do not hate Madonna (at all). But Rock&Roll HoF? Sham.
Agreed.

10char
Old 01-30-2011, 03:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It won't happen. As much as we may wish it to be, as much as well feel she deserves it, Stevie just won't get in. She didn't even sell 10 million albums as a solo artist. She had no #1 singles... only 4 to crack the top 10. Stevie's legacy is a combined one: her solo career is a footnote to Fleetwood Mac. I do have to agree with the article's beautiful summation of Stevie being possibly the most unique and eccentric woman in the history of rock. However, that won't get her inducted in her lifetime.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket View Post

Awards are crocks. At the oscars last year they gave Sandra Bullock an Oscar over Meryl Streep. It's insane.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
It won't happen. As much as we may wish it to be, as much as well feel she deserves it, Stevie just won't get in. She didn't even sell 10 million albums as a solo artist. She had no #1 singles... only 4 to crack the top 10. Stevie's legacy is a combined one: her solo career is a footnote to Fleetwood Mac. I do have to agree with the article's beautiful summation of Stevie being possibly the most unique and eccentric woman in the history of rock. However, that won't get her inducted in her lifetime.
She's actually sold a little over 12 million when you only count BD, WH, RAL, TOSOTM, SA, and TISL.

I also just want to add:

As of May 2008, Trouble in Shangri-la has sold 849,000 copies.
As of January 2009, Say You Will has sold 858,000 copies.

Last edited by APerfectLie; 01-30-2011 at 04:24 AM..
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree!!! What the hell are they waiting for??? Put her in Rock Hall of Fame PEOLPE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
She's actually sold a little over 12 million when you only count BD, WH, RAL, TOSOTM, SA, and TISL.

I also just want to add:

As of May 2008, Trouble in Shangri-la has sold 849,000 copies.
As of January 2009, Say You Will has sold 858,000 copies.

That's good news! Stevie's new release and promotion this year could very well could push TISL into platinum status as it deserves. Making it her 6th Platinum record!
I wonder if Reprise will have it certified shortly after the new release to see if it is in fact Platinum, It would be another feather in her cap for promotion towards these considerations and awards. The fact that Stevie has earned 5 consecutive Platinum selling certifications: BD, WH, RAL, OSOTM, & TS, should be impressive enough to have her inducted into the R&R HOF.

Last edited by Christopher; 01-30-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Old 01-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I read somewhere that Stevie is the only Rock singer to have several Platinum albums both as a member of a group AND as a solo artist. Is that true? If it is, then that's bloody impressive; especially in a male-dominated genre.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's all so political and she's been schmoozing with the right people for years. It could happen...
Old 01-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I think I read somewhere that Stevie is the only Rock singer to have several Platinum albums both as a member of a group AND as a solo artist. Is that true? If it is, then that's bloody impressive; especially in a male-dominated genre.
It think that is gender specific and kind of old data. Beyonce?. There are also numerous males that have..Paul McCartney,Sting.Phil Collins to name a few.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Annie Lennox, too, must qualify for that category. And yes, many men have left their groups and had platinum success too.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

According to Billboard, Stevie Nicks is the only artist who has successfully maintained concurrent careers as both a member of a band and a solo artist at the platinum/gold sales level. Seven platinum studio albums (3 FM, 4 solo), a live album, hits collection, dozen band singles, dozen solo singles, 7 tours, as well as contributions to soundtracks, etc. delivered within a 10 year period is an unrivaled accomplishment. Attempts by icons such as Mick Jagger to juggle a band and a solo career were met with critical and commercial failure every time.

Many of those inducted into to the R&R Hall of Fame do not have impressive numbers, but women are held to a different standard. The Grateful Dead had one top 40 hit. The Ramones only have one gold certified album and never cracked the top 40 singles chart. I think she'll be inducted as a solo performer if the next few years flatter her.