Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Billboard by Maureen Clark, April 14, 2014

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-song-premiere

[Excerpt From an article discussing John Mayall's new album]

"I finally got ahold of some tapes that were made in the '60s of the lineup when Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood were in the band," Mayall says. "I'll give those a listen, so that'll probably be the next one on Private Stash. That's a rare slice of history, just remarkable. That band was on fire. It's a wonderful piece of history."
Saw this and went looking on the Mayall site. No mention of this that I could find. I am anxiously waiting for this
Old 04-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Oh Well by the Eels

Although they have been performing this live most of last year, it is available to purchase off the Deluxe Edition of their new album, THE CAUTIONARY TALES OF MARK OLIVER EVERETT
iTunes/USA: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/ca...er/id826948542
http://youtu.be/lFuk4dfzzeA

Last edited by Richard B; 04-25-2014 at 10:08 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Ledgie

Originally Posted by michelej1
Billboard by Maureen Clark, April 14, 2014

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-song-premiere

[Excerpt From an article discussing John Mayall's new album]

"I finally got ahold of some tapes that were made in the '60s of the lineup when Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood were in the band," Mayall says. "I'll give those a listen, so that'll probably be the next one on Private Stash. That's a rare slice of history, just remarkable. That band was on fire. It's a wonderful piece of history."
Saw this and went looking on the Mayall site. No mention of this that I could find. I am anxiously waiting for this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Ledgie

Here is a picture from the very moment when Tom Huissen of "John the Revelator" hands over the recordings, that he made from Bluesbreakers gigs in London during the spring in 1967, to John Mayall. It took place in Haarlem on March 26 this year when the today's Bluesbreakers line-up played a concert there.
There are 5 or 6 recorded gigs with the Mayall, Fleetwood, McVie & Peter Green line-up and that band "really was on fire" as Mayall stated!

Hopefully Mayall will release it promptly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Huissen taped parts of five different shows - including one with Aynsley Dunbar behind the drum kit.
Hopefully Mayall will release all the shows in their entirety though he might opt to cherry pick from the different shows, especially as many of the songs are repeated from show to show, with some naturally more successful than others.
Of course, for the fans, hearing the differences in the how the numbers were played on any given night is one of the things we most look forward to.

The recordings offer an extended look at Green early in his career as he is finding his voice, and sometimes struggling to meet the expectations of both his employer and the audience. There are times when one gets the feeling that he would rather not have to stretch out a number past what he believes is necessary, but simply has no other choice.
The most surprising example is on the two versions of ‘Chicago Line’ which include a break for a bass solo. You have to believe that this was Mayall’s idea and not McVie’s.

When these tapes first surfaced, a huge piece of the puzzle was filled in.

Still missing however, (and I have to believe that there are tapes out there) are any live recordings from April to August of 1970 just before and after Green left Fleetwood Mac.
The one off with Nick Pickett, the shows with Little Free Rock & Ginger Johnson and those with Nick Buck – these were done before the sessions for “End of the Game” (are they echoes of these sessions heard on that LP?) – were the live sets similar; strictly improve, all instrumental? Were any of the numbers built on familiar material? Were the sets structured around individual pieces or was it just a few numbers that flowed freely until they ran out of ideas?
I only hope that we can someday find out the answers…

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 07-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[BBC-2 Radio picks the 100 greatest guitar riffs. Oh Well is included]

UK News, Yahoo, July 14. 2014

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/greatest-g...2.html#G2c5Xfq

Arctic Monkeys take on acts such as Guns N' Roses, Daft Punk and The Beatles in a search for the greatest guitar riff of all time.

In the hunt for the perfect combination of power chords, hammer-ons, pull-offs, double stops, string bending and whammy bars, a list of 100 tracks has been compiled by experts for BBC Radio 2, with artists as diverse as Buddy Holly, Pink Floyd, Isaac Hayes and Metallica also in the running.

But organisers have ruled that acts can only be represented just once in the list which means popular tracks such as Voodoo Child by Jimi Hendrix and Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks are edged out in favour of other songs.

And there is no place for stadium-filling rock heroes Muse, despite their song Plug-In Baby being ranked the greatest riff of the past few years in a poll of guitar players. It has now replaced Stairway To Heaven as one of the prime choices for musicians testing out new gear in guitar shops.

Although they were spoilt for choice for Led Zeppelin riffs, it was Whole Lotta Love which made the grade, Queen are listed for One Vision and Hendrix is represented by his work on Purple Haze.

No riff was allowed from a solo performer which was already included with a group, although musicians who had riffed on tracks by more than one act were allowed - meaning that Nile Rodgers' contributions to Daft Punk's Get Lucky and also Chic's Good Times were both allowed.

The most recent release on the list is last year's Do I Really Wanna Know? by Arctic Monkeys, with No One Knows by Queens Of The Stone Age and Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes leading the charge for the 21st century.

Tracks from the days when the electric guitar was coming into its own include C'mon Everbody by Eddie Cochran, Holly's Words Of Love, Rumble by Link Wray and Apache by British guitar pioneers The Shadows.

The varied list - which also includes Hocus Pocus by Dutch prog rock band Focus, Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana, Blur's Song 2 and A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins - was announced by Radio 2 presenter Simon Mayo.

And listeners are being invited to vote for their favourites at bbc.co.uk/radio2 with the top choices counted down during a programme on Bank Holiday Monday, August 25.

Jeff Smith, head of music at the station, said: "We've all been brought up with the most amazing guitar riffs throughout the history of pop music, but our trusty panel have drawn up a strong and eclectic mix we know our Radio 2 listeners are going to love."

The vote ties in with the guitar season which features on Radio 2, 6 Music and BBC4.

:: The top 100 in alphabetical order by song title:

20th Century Boy - T. Rex

A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen

Alive - Pearl Jam

All Right Now - Free

Apache - The Shadows

Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet

Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz

Atomic - Blondie

Back In Black - AC/DC

Beat It - Michael Jackson

Block Buster! - Sweet

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley

Bohemian Like You - The Dandy Warhols

Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker

Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

Boys Don't Cry - The Cure

C'mon Everybody - Eddie Cochran

Cannonball - The Breeders

Cigarettes & Alcohol - Oasis

Day Tripper - The Beatles

Do I Wanna Know? - Arctic Monkeys

Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Don't Believe A Word - Thin Lizzy

Down Down - Status Quo

Enter Sandman - Metallica

Every Breath You Take - The Police

Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor

Fools Gold - The Stone Roses

Get Lucky - Daft Punk

Good Times - Chic

Hocus Pocus - Focus

How Soon Is Now? - The Smiths

I Can't Explain - The Who

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones

I Love Rock 'n' Roll - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

Jack & Diane - John Mellencamp

Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry

Killing in The Name - Rage Against The Machine

Layla - Derek And The Dominoes

Life In The Fast Lane - Eagles

Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi

Lonely Boy - The Black Keys

Long Live Rock 'n' Roll - Rainbow

Loser - Beck

Ma-Ma-Ma Belle - Electric Light Orchestra (ELO)

Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters

Marquee Moon - Television

Milk and Alcohol - Dr. Feelgood

Misirlou - Dick Dale

Money - Pink Floyd

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits

Motorcycle Emptiness - Manic Street Preachers

Mr Tambourine Man - The Byrds

My Sharona - The Knack

Need You Tonight - INXS

No One Knows - Queens of The Stone Age

No Surprises - Radiohead

Oh, Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison

Oh Well - Fleetwood Mac

One Vision - Queen

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Peter Gunn - Duane Eddy

Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

Pride (In The Name Of Love) - U2

Purple Haze - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Rocks - Primal Scream

Rumble - Link Wray

Run To You - Bryan Adams

Running Down A Dream - Tom Petty

September - Earth, Wind & Fire

Seven Nation Army - White Stripes

Shakin' All Over - Johnny Kidd & The Pirates

Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top

She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult

Should I Stay Or Should I Go - The Clash

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple

Song 2 - Blur

Spoonman - Soundgarden

Stay With Me - Faces

Sunshine of Your Love - Cream

Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand

That Lady - The Isley Brothers

The One I Love - R.E.M.

The Riverboat Song - Ocean Colour Scene

The Spirit Of Radio - Rush

Theme From Shaft - Isaac Hayes

There She Goes - The La's

Unbelievable - EMF

Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Walk This Way - Aerosmith (and Aerosmith & Run DMC)

Wheels - Foo Fighters

Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin

Words of Love - Buddy Holly

You Really Got Me - The Kinks

Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
Old 07-17-2014, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=michelej1;1134499][BBC-2 Radio picks the 100 greatest guitar riffs. Oh Well is included]

I think there is a TV prog also ,to be broadcast soon on BBC4

I would say, looking at the list, someone doesn't actually know the difference between a riff and a melody Smoke on the Water , OhWell , All Right Now are riffs but Apache and Waterloo Sunset (Even though ultimately not included ,and a great song by the way !I don't think so !!

Purple Haze I don't feel it is a riff based song (Fantastic as it is !)Whereas Voodoo Chile (?) or Foxy Lady are !
Old 07-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Joy of the Guitar Riff broadcast on BBC4

Well The Joy of the Guitar Riff was shown last night on BBC 4 followed by Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC. As I predicted they didn’t know the difference between a riff and a tune and sometimes seemed to be saying that a guitar solo was a riff, or a guitar intro was a riff ! Well not in my (Song )book it isn’t ! So it ended up as a trawl through post war electric guitar styles- entertaining enough, but not what it said on the tin !

Some new stuff ,but also repeated footage of Dave Davies talking about slashing his speaker cone , and Tony Iommi telling of his industrial accident etc

Worse than that (,unless I fell asleep or was abducted by aliens for a minute or two,)there was no mention of Oh Well let alone Fleetwood Mac!! Heresy !!

How they could focus on Bohemian Rhapsody as a riff based song(well they could focus on it cause Brian May was one of the major interviewees and interesting he was too ) but completely ignore the Beatles and their major riffage -Ticket to Ride I feel Fine ,Paperback Writer, Come Together,Hey Bulldog ! Or perhaps some German Aristo hippies slipped something into my coffee, because , in the footage of Cream playing Sunshine of Your Love at one of their farewell concerts at the Royal Albert Hall (one of which I was at as it happens !) Eric Clapton managed to subliminally put on a wide lapelled orange jacket, mid guitar solo ,non subliminally wear it for a while , and then subliminally take it off before the final notes died away Meanwhile, Ginger Baker’ green kaftan thingy somehow morphed into a multi coloured psychedelic floral shirt and then back again Wow ! That’s something more than else ! Far out !Man! (I’ve got the Bad Sartorial Continuity Blues or in Ginger's case: blouse ! ) But Sunshine of Your Love is a riff song- I’ll give them that !

Ironically the prog that followed these two :More Guitar Heroes at the BBC, which has been shown before, and is not anything to do with this new rifffest (that’s a word with three f’s in a row that I’ve just invented !) seemed to contain more riff songs than the preceding one !

For UK viewers these two Riff progs will be repeated on Sunday night BBC4 and will be on iplayer

Blues power!

Last edited by THD; 07-20-2014 at 08:24 AM..
Old 07-19-2014, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
organisers have ruled that acts can only be represented just once in the list
If not for that rule, the list would have most likely included about 75 Rolling Stones riffs Keith Richards has probably come up with more great guitar riffs than all the other bands on the list put together (yeah, I know he stole some of them from Chuck Berry, but still...).
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Keith Richards has probably come up with more great guitar riffs than all the other bands on the list put together (yeah, I know he stole some of them from Chuck Berry, but still...).
I absolutely agree with you Sharksfan , he has come up with some great ones He is The Riffmeister !. but the Joy of the Guitar Riff , if my memory is correct, used The Last Time, as a Stones example( which isn't a Stones song ,so the riff may not have been their addition ,and if it was, it was played by Brian Jones ,who probably invented it ?!) Also ,the prog broke it's own rules, and also mentioned and played Satisfaction (now that is a great riff !)
I would dissagree though that Mr Richard "comandeered " Chuck Berry's riffs, cause I dont classify (unlike the prog ) Chuck's intro(brilliant as it is ) as a true riff and I dont classify Chuck's major chord- major 6th blues shuffle as a riff and Chuck certainly didn't invent it anyway ( But he well deserves his place as an inventor,and pioneer of R&R - it was the way he played it and the very smart lyrics that he put to it and for his showmanship !)

Last edited by THD; 07-20-2014 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, Brian Jones was responsible for a lot of that extra something on most early Stones song. He taught Keith a lot. Without him the group was a bit murkier and grungier and I don't think as distinctive. Not to say Keith is being a Jimmy Page and allowing himself to take credit for things he didn't do, he is a cool guy and knows we're all basically one race under the skin. His solo recording 'Take It So Hard' is an all time favorite.

Tallying up riffs is a bore (and there are riffs from other instruments reinvented for guitar, especially that came from saxophone players) but you'd think Hank Marvin of The Shadows might figure extremely prominently! Sheesh.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Joy of the Guitar Riff , if my memory is correct, used The Last Time, as a Stones example( which isn't a Stones song ,so the riff may not have been their addition ,and if it was, it was played by Brian Jones ,who probably invented it ?!)
Actually "The Last Time" is a Jagger/Richards song, though it borrowed a small part from "This May be the Last Time" by the Staple Singers. You're right that the riff on that song was played by Brian Jones.
The Rolling Stones - The Last Time (Charlie is my Darling - Ireland 1965)

Brian Jones also played the distinctive guitar part on "It's All Over Now". The Stones totally reworked that song - it was written by Bobby Womack, who passed away just a few weeks ago.
The Rolling Stones - It's All Over Now, T.A.M.I Show, 1964
Old 07-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Correction

Joy of the Guitar Riff , if my memory is correct, used The Last Time, as a Stones example( which isn't a Stones song ,so the riff may not have been their addition ,and if it was, it was played by Brian Jones ,who probably invented it ?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Actually "The Last Time" is a Jagger/Richards song, though it borrowed a small part from "This May be the Last Time" by the Staple Singers. You're right that the riff on that song was played by Brian Jones.
The Rolling Stones - The Last Time (Charlie is my Darling - Ireland 1965)

Brian Jones also played the distinctive guitar part on "It's All Over Now". The Stones totally reworked that song - it was written by Bobby Womack, who passed away just a few weeks ago.
The Rolling Stones - It's All Over Now, T.A.M.I Show, 1964
I've just watched the repeats of the two riff progs on the BBC and my memory was not entirely correct (now there's a surprise !)

Firstly ,The Last Time was a full performance in the second prog Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC therefore I was wrong about there being two Stones songs mentioned in the first prog but it makes it even more shameful that the Stones only get a 3 second passing mention about Satisfaction in the whole prog(the Joy of Riff...) !

Secondly , the Cream doing Sunshine of Your Love was also a long performance in the Riff at the BBC and I was wrong about Ginger's shirt continuity- I now think the floral shirt was worn by a demented member of the audience doing some air drumming ( but I stand by Eric's off -on- off jacket !

Thirdly I think Brian Jones was a very interesting musician - played many instruments which gave those early Stones singles a distinctive flavour and The Stones was his band until it was hijacked , after all

Yep your right the last time is a Jagger /Richards composition I stand corrected !

I''ve now listened to the Staples singers version ,and the only real similarity is the melody (and lyric of course) of "Maybe the last tme I don't know" at the end of each verse, but there is no sign if the riff in any part of their song , so it must be |Brian's

Last edited by THD; 07-20-2014 at 08:05 PM..
Old 07-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post

Tallying up riffs is a bore (and there are riffs from other instruments reinvented for guitar, especially that came from saxophone players) but you'd think Hank Marvin of The Shadows might figure extremely prominently! Sheesh.
Becca ,Hank was extensively interviewed in the Joy of the Guitar riff programme, but the problem I have is that his compositions are not riff based at all His playing is brilliant and distinctive, and inspired a lot of guitarists including our own Peter Green His compositions are wonderful and original, but the BBC should be doing a one hour doc about him or about the Shadows, not trying to shoe horn him into a confused prog about Riffs(which itself wasn't long enough ! )

Last edited by THD; 07-23-2014 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: spulling
Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I've just watched the repeats of the two riff progs on the BBC and my memory was not entirely correct (now there's a surprise !)

Firstly ,The Last Time was a full performance in the second prog Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC therefore I was wrong about there being two Stones songs mentioned in the first prog but it makes it even more shameful that the Stones only get a 3 second passing mention about Satisfaction in the whole prog(the Joy of Riff...) !

Secondly , the Cream doing Sunshine of Your Love was also a long performance in the Riff at the BBC and I was wrong about Ginger's shirt continuity- I now think the floral shirt was worn by a demented member of the audience doing some air drumming ( but I stand by Eric's off -on- off jacket !

Thirdly I think Brian Jones was a very interesting musician - played many instruments which gave those early Stones singles a distinctive flavour and The Stones was his band until it was hijacked , after all

Yep your right the last time is a Jagger /Richards composition I stand corrected !

I''ve now listened to the Staples singers version ,and the only real similarity is the melody (and lyric of course) of "Maybe the last tme I don't know" at the end of each verse, but there is no sign if the riff in any part of their song , so it must be |Brian's
It's been written that to really hear Brian's vision of the Rolling Stones, you have to listen to their earliest studio recording, the IBC session from 11 March 1963. That was with the original six-member version of the band, including Ian Stewart on piano. One wonders how things might have gone differently if Stu hadn't been kicked out by manager Andrew Oldham. Of course, he did remain with the band as their road manager (and played on many of their recordings over the years) until his death in the mid-'80s.
The Rolling Stones - I.B.C. Sound Recording Studios