Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default They Really Dropped the Ball..

Thousands are officially dead from Hurricane Katrina. Not one person should have died. They knew it was coming and that it was strong. I saw the warnings on the weather channel a day before it was near the coast.

They should have gotten out the poor without cars. They should have gotten everyone out.

With all the technology today, no one should have died. This could have been avoided right? Why did so many have to die for no reason???
Old 09-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

exactly....

Our nation is built around helping people who can't help themselves...oh but wait...that's just when it comes to other countries. Gawd forbid we help our own people.. I'm angry right now, and it's probably just going to progressively get worse
Old 09-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I think it was impossible to avoid any deaths whatsoever, but perhaps there was a way to avoid so many fatalities. Weren't these people told to leave though? Some of them just plain didn't listen. I think a lot of people just didn't realize how catastrophic this storm would be.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
With all the technology today, no one should have died. This could have been avoided right? Why did so many have to die for no reason???
Well, that's the $64,000 question, now isn't it?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Thousands are officially dead from Hurricane Katrina. Not one person should have died. They knew it was coming and that it was strong. I saw the warnings on the weather channel a day before it was near the coast.

They should have gotten out the poor without cars. They should have gotten everyone out.

I understand the frustration, and I don't have any clue what to say? Why does anyone have to die from natural disasters...including earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes (which I live in NC where devastating ones have hit before, of course nothing like Katrina), volcanic eruptions, etc...

May God Bless their Souls!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
Weren't these people told to leave though? Some of them just plain didn't listen.
These people are dirt poor. How would they have gotten out? Where would they have gone? How would they be able to leave their homes and survive without any money?

Old 09-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
These people are dirt poor. How would they have gotten out? Where would they have gone? How would they be able to leave their homes and survive without any money?
I wanted to repsond to this but I am getting tired of having to type the same thing over and over. Thanks diss.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well I think it was impossible to avoid any deaths whatsoever, but perhaps there was a way to avoid so many fatalities. Weren't these people told to leave though? Some of them just plain didn't listen. I think a lot of people just didn't realize how catastrophic this storm would be.

I agree..many of them didn't leave because they had lived thru camille and just thought the media was just giving it a lot of hype. But then there are those that really couldnt' get out. But technically..if I saw that big ass storm coming my way..I would have started hoofing it..hahah..

but I guess by the time theyrealized it...it was really too late....(to walk, or whatever...)
Old 09-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
I wanted to repsond to this but I am getting tired of having to type the same thing over and over. Thanks diss.
No problem. I cannot for the life of me understand why people are asking "Why didn't they leave?" I wanted to throttle Larry King last night for asking that over and over and over and over. And asking the children of people lost in New Orleans, no less.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
True......

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

not all of the people who stayed are dirt poor tho. I mean, yes..those that really couldn't get out, those are the ones I feel for.
but there ARE many stories of ppl that just didn't leave. There was a guy on the radio the day before that didn't want to leave because he and his wife had just put so much money into their new business, they didn't want to leave it (or maybe it was CNN) THOSE are the people I think of when I hear.."why didn't they get out"
Old 09-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677
not all of the people who stayed are dirt poor tho. I mean, yes..those that really couldn't get out, those are the ones I feel for.
but there ARE many stories of ppl that just didn't leave. There was a guy on the radio the day before that didn't want to leave because he and his wife had just put so much money into their new business, they didn't want to leave it (or maybe it was CNN) THOSE are the people I think of when I hear.."why didn't they get out"
Yeah, That's what I meant when I said that. I didn't mean to direspect the homeless.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, That's what I meant when I said that. I didn't mean to direspect the homeless.Although, I don't feel compassion for people that are truely capable of getting jobs but are just lazy.
Most homeless people aren't lazy, they're mentally ill. Would you live in a cardboard box if you were in your right mind?

Last edited by gldstwmn; 09-04-2005 at 01:33 PM..
Old 09-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, That's what I meant when I said that. I didn't mean to direspect the homeless. Although, I don't feel compassion for people that are truely capable of getting jobs but are just lazy.
Who is talking about the homeless? Poor does not necessarily equate being homeless. And since when can anyone just waltz into a business and get a job? Since when is being homeless and unemployed a sign of laziness? Does anyone out there really believe that people prefer to live on the streets in refrigerator boxes because they're too lazy to want to work? Crikey. And why wouldn't feel you compassion for a homeless man or woman that is "too lazy to work" and is now injured and suffering from this disaster? These are human beings, Christopher.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

did I miss something?? Im genuinely asking..not being sh*tty or anything..
did someone say something about them being lazy???

sorry..on edit...it appears I DID miss something...looks like that post had been edited after I read it sorry..