Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Registered

Default Mohegan Sun from Stage Left

I made it to the concert, and wound up in Front Row of Section 26, to the very left of the stage, Stevie's side, and where she entered and exited between songs. So, it was first row, if you don't mind watching a concert sideways
Stevie was walking fine and looked very good. She wore a black dress for the first songs, the red one came later in the show, though Lindsey came out in the red shirt, as in other shows I've read about. Stevie introduced 'Gypsy' as "a song from our Tusk album in 1975" and went into an animated story about how it was "about before we became famous, me taking my mattress off the frame and putting it on the floor, which i have always done"-- it's possible she may have said '1979' but it sure sounded like '75, and she definitely said it was from 'Tusk'-- oh well! I think Lindsey may have wanted to correct her, but he didn't, he just had a quick look on his face like 'oops'.... My favorite moments were 'Storms' and 'Say You Love Me'- i think they've worked out whatever kinks fans have noted, and the verses sounded excellent, as did the choruses.
Mick looked to me like he was feeling sick. His eyes looked puffy and his face seemed like he was in pain and just quietly dealing with it, but he played his heart out and put his all into the show. He was also quite noticeably very heavy. John remained very in the background, most usually facing Brett, who was to the very left at the rear of the stage- at least once John walked down the stairs right by my seat ( i believe it was on Micks' drum solo on "World Turning")-- i was right infront of the 'teleprompter' or whatever it was, set up next to several laptops- and the songs and the lyrics would be on the small screen, i imagine they were also visible on the stage for Lindsey and Stevie)-- amusing, near the end of the show, it said "Band Introductions" and then "Lori Nicks" which remained on the screen for several minutes, and Stevie gave hands over head oversized applause to Sharon Celani when she was introduced. The prompter also read "GO TO TENT" after 'Don't Stop'.
Lindsey was fantastic. The best 'I'm So Afraid' I have ever seen him do, and i saw the 'SYW' tour 4 times. He hinted broadly that there would be a new Mac album coming "We don't have a new album (pause) YET"-- to loud applause, early in the show.
I've always loved Stevie in concert, and this time i still did. However, though she was very professional and upbeat to the crowd, when she would turn to walk off the stage between songs, her smile instantly left her (not that i'd expect her to be all giddy) and she seemed sad just in her body language, walking purposefully and looking lovely (slimmer, i believe, in her hips than in a long time) An odd thing to me was there wasn't anyone, security or an assistant, waiting to walk with her, just a lone female with reddish hair could be seen in the doorway maybe 75 feet from the area Stevie walked alone, waiting for Stevie to reach the doorway. A nice moment, Lindsey singing 'Never Going Back Again' before Stevie joined him centerstage, she was in the wings, her back to the audience, her hand on her hip, eyes closed, and sighing like she was in heaven, listening to how he very effectively stretched out certain notes, i think it was his best singing of the night)-- As others have written, Stevie got better vocally as the night progressed, but on "Silver Springs"-- near the end, where she sings the difficult 'call and response' lines--- ("Was I just a fool"/ then "Give Me Just A Chance") this INTENSE look came on her face, lips pursed, and like a stutter, and ALL she got out was "fool" and "chance" on both of those lines, but then did a very nice and firey 'You'll never get Ay-Way" three times. But the intense concentration during the unsung "was i just a"-- managing to get the word 'Fool" out' and the also unsung "Give Me Just A"-- getting only "chance" out was fascinating and a little sad to watch. I think she is having some problems on this tour with her voice, to be sure. "Gold Dust Woman" was the least animated I've ever seen it performed by her ever, and it just sort of ended- i wasn't expecting the extended versions we heard on her last 2 solo tours, but i believe it was even shorter than the 'Rumours' cd version. Lindsey's singing live was quite good, i believe the best I've heard him, though, as someone else pointed out, he still comes on too strong on 'lightening strikes, maybe once, maybe twice'- but his overall singing i think has improved a LOT since 'The Dance' cd, which i just gave a spin for the first time in years, and was surprised at how much vibrato and weird vocal choices, he made. (just my subjective opinion, of course)
I think "Gypsy" definitely has to go. And Stevie sure seemed depressed singing it, too. It was unfortunate. Though her introduction of it was perky, for sure.
A weird feeling i get is that maybe (maybe?) finally Stevie is getting burnt out on the same songs as some of us are. She lost her place in 'Rhiannon' forgetting the 'taken by, taken by the sky' part before the 'dreams unwind' segment before Lindsey's solo. Or has it been removed from the arrangement this tour? I believe she also forgot her place once on 'Sara' though i won't swear by it, i'll need to check YouTube. It was fairly early on in the song, and i was distracted by ushers and latecomers, so maybe she didn't jump to a wrong place, perhaps, but i think she did.
Oh, and during the band introductions, they all got a huge round of applause, i was happy that Lindsey's was SUCH an ovation-- but then Mick's introduction of "Stephanie Nicks" got an ever huger ovation-- and yes, Lindsey noticed. The man's facial expressions, if he weren't so brilliant a guitarist, what an actor he could have made. Yes, he noticed her huge ovation, and that it was bigger than his huge ovation had been; yes he STILL compares and measures their applause when they are introduced. A nice change, though, was that he didn't seem that bothered by it, this time. He has to KNOW how excellent his performances are on this tour, this truly is the best I've ever seen Lindsey be in Fleetwood Mac.
I guess that's all. Just little things and how they struck me, ringside.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Senior Ledgie

I was in 25, left side also.
First time ever seeing the Mac. And all I really wanted to do is see Lindsey , and now that I've seen him, I want more!
I will be going and buying more of his newer cds with my enriched appreciation of him. I sure hope your wrong about him feeling badly about the ovation. Yes, Mick gave a long speech about Stevie being the woman of the band now , keeping them in line , blah blah blah..... So that kind of hyped the crowd up more. However, I thought Lindsey (though I would of kept cheering even more) got a loving , and appreciative ovation. I sure hope he liked Mohegan enough to want to come back here instead of staying in NY area for his solo concerts.

If Mick means it by the Mac being Back ----bring it on.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was in section 25 row B, with the aisle seat. It was so awesome to be that close. I thought about running down to the stage, but security wasn't letting anyone who wasn't already in the first two rows up.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
I think Lindsey may have wanted to correct her, but he didn't, he just had a quick look on his face like 'oops'....
Stevie's been saying this for what, a few weeks now?
WHHHHHHHHHY hasn't someone corrected her?
do they fear the Stare of Death that much?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
...ALL she got out was "fool" and "chance" on both of those lines, but then did a very nice and firey 'You'll never get Ay-Way" three times. But the intense concentration during the unsung "was i just a"-- managing to get the word 'Fool" out' and the also unsung "Give Me Just A"-- getting only "chance" out was fascinating and a little sad to watch. I think she is having some problems on this tour with her voice, to be sure.
I think this was really Mama using bad mic technique moreso than her inability to sing the notes. She has always had a tendency to move away from the mic when she has to hit an important note- perhaps as insurance so that, if the note goes bad, it is not too loud in the house speakers. But 99% of the time I can hear the note faintly, and it is indeed a good one.

Quote:
"Gold Dust Woman" was the least animated I've ever seen it performed by her ever, and it just sort of ended... I think "Gypsy" definitely has to go. And Stevie sure seemed depressed singing it, too. It was unfortunate...
I also felt that she was phoning it in at Nassau Coliseum. She looked and sounded great, but she just kept it very, very toned down, especially compared to her solo shows. She still has grace and the ability to rock it every once in a while, but it just happens so infrequently during this show...

Quote:
She lost her place in 'Rhiannon' forgetting the 'taken by, taken by the sky' part before the 'dreams unwind' segment before Lindsey's solo. Or has it been removed from the arrangement this tour?
She hasn't sung "taken by the sky" in 30 years! But she did almost forget to do the "WELL, I don't think you do" line at Nassau. I do suspect that she is just on autopilot during that song- there is just no life left in it any more.

Quote:
i was happy that Lindsey's was SUCH an ovation-- but then Mick's introduction of "Stephanie Nicks" got an ever huger ovation-- and yes, Lindsey noticed. The man's facial expressions, if he weren't so brilliant a guitarist, what an actor he could have made. Yes, he noticed her huge ovation, and that it was bigger than his huge ovation had been; yes he STILL compares and measures their applause when they are introduced.
A number of times I was looking back at the audience to see what they were doing. And it seemed that no matter how passionately Lindsey was singing or playing guitar on HIS songs, whenever Stevie was on stage, all eyes were on her. She would just be off to the side, in the dark, batting at her tambourine quietly while Lindsey was singing, yet she still garnered most of the attention. There is definitely something undeniably captivating about Mama that cannot be explained simply by her voice, her songs or her performance. I seriously think she could go on tour and do nothing but play the tambourine on stage, and people would flock to see her in droves.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Ledgie

It's like taking reports of one incident from 30 people who all were there witnessing. Everyone sees something a different way. Lindsey was super active and with lots of energy. I saw more people responding to him more than watching Stevie.
I think I got converted Saturday night! Lindsey is the center of my Mac
Old 03-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseGarden View Post
It's like taking reports of one incident from 30 people who all were there witnessing. Everyone sees something a different way. Lindsey was super active and with lots of energy. I saw more people responding to him more than watching Stevie.
I think I got converted Saturday night! Lindsey is the center of my Mac
Yes, after someone wrote that Lindsey seemed bothered by Stevie's supposedly louder ovation during the SYW tour, I made a point to look at him during the introductioins and he never had a bothered look on his face at any of the concerts I'd attended. He made an expression, but it was to acknowledge the applause she was getting, not to envy it. And he usually accompanied his look by blowing a kiss at her. But different people perceive things differently and we'll never know which one view is reality. Oh, that life could be a Rashomon movie where the one objective character comes in and gives you the real deal, before it's all over.

I did note that although Lindsey did not introduce Mick in Pittsburgh, he did so at the Nassau show. After World Turning, he went up to his mic and said, "Mr. Mick Fleeeeetwood!" That tickled me. I remember Christine once introduced herself, because Lindsey forgot.

It's funny to know that the teleprompter said "Go To Tent" after Don't Stop. That made me laugh.

Michele
Old 03-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Stevie is a betting woman (well, I think in Australia she said that her mom was, sort of) she probably figures that Tusk was a double album and took so long to record that there's a 50% chance that any song she can name was on the Tusk album.

Michele
Old 03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
If Stevie is a betting woman (well, I think in Australia she said that her mom was, sort of) she probably figures that Tusk was a double album and took so long to record that there's a 50% chance that any song she can name was on the Tusk album.

Michele
ROFLOL!!

Maybe since it was going to be a double album, all the songs she wrote after Rumours were in preparation. She was stocking up. Then, LB and Christine came through too and damn, she had to do a solo album just to get 'em out there. ya know?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
There is definitely something undeniably captivating about Mama that cannot be explained simply by her voice, her songs or her performance. I seriously think she could go on tour and do nothing but play the tambourine on stage, and people would flock to see her in droves.

You hit the nail on the head here.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wrote a review for my school paper. It'll be up probably April 1 or 2...:/

I overall loved the show. I was really farback [Sec 8 row c :/] but the show was awesome
Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
I wrote a review for my school paper. It'll be up probably April 1 or 2...:/
Well, that's a long time for us to wait to read it! Michele
Old 03-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know!! We can't publish weekly....you know what?
I'll prepost here

Here you go!!
Unleashed Tour unsurprisingly caged up

The lights go down at the Mohegan Sun Arena on March 14, where a minimum of 15,000 fans eagerly wait the return of the 70’s super-group Fleetwood Mac. The opening chords of ‘Monday Morning’ begin as all of us fans rise to our feet to not only sing, but to dance along with the band. This is the band’s first tour since 2004, the two year tour to support the Say You Will album. With no album to promote this time around, the band decided to fill up the set-list with classics, rather than edging in new songs like on the 97 Dance tour and during Say You Will five years ago.
Overall the set list was impressive for the band, which consisted of Mick Fleetwood – drums, John McVie – bassist extraordinaire, Lindsey Buckingham – guitar and vocals, and ‘the first lady of Fleetwood Mac’ Stevie Nicks – vocals. One Rumours-era member noticeably missing was Christine McVie, who was the keyboardist and vocalist. I found it amusing that the Mac had to hire three vocalists, and a keyboardist to take her place. ‘The Chain’ started promptly after ‘Monday’ and I noticed no difference between this tour and The Dance tour version. In between songs both Buckingham and Nicks took turns addressing the audience filling us in on current events with the band, and also some origins of songs. ‘Gypsy’ was sub-par at best in comparison to the Mirage version; however, hearing the background information on just how Nicks wrote the song gave a new perspective listening to it. Buckingham did a fabulous job taking on the Peter Green classic ‘Oh Well,’ not only adding his own twist to it, but really showing me that Fleetwood Mac can rock hard if they want to, that they aren’t only Stevie’s backup band. Unfortunately that is the way I was left feeling during most of Nick’s songs. The audience kept standing during every one of Nick’s songs, yet during Buckingham’s [minus ‘Monday,’ ‘Go Your Own Way,’ and ‘Big Love’] everybody sat, or unfortunately decided to take a bathroom break (during ‘I’m so Afraid’ which is never a song to miss!)
One surprise for me was ‘World Turning.’ I would say it has to be my least favorite song that the band performs live, and I was sick of it after seeing Buckingham solo for the first time back in 2007. The addition of Mac drummer Fleetwood however, changed the song for me. Fleetwood adds in his own twist to the Buckingham/C. McVie song, and rather than an obnoxious drum solo, he turns it into a beauty of rhythmic percussion. ‘Tusk’ is another example of Fleetwood adding something extra to a Buckingham song. I always love ‘Tusk’ – live, album versions, Buckingham solo or with Fleetwood Mac – yet, hearing it live, in person rather than on the bootlegs I’ve come across, transformed the song into an entirely different experience that I honestly think all should have the pleasure of having. John McVie adds so much to this band, and yet he is repeatedly under credited, or receives no credit at all. Yet, he is one of the best bassists to come out of the 70s rock era. The bass line on ‘Chain,’ keeping rhythm throughout ‘Tusk’ and of course the general tone of ‘Dreams’-revolving around McVie’s bass! Overall he is a quiet man who stands in the background, but when his instrument is a vital part of a song, the listener knows it.
Nicks sounded better now than she did last year when I had the pleasure of seeing her solo. While her songs were primarily the same (of course she did ‘Dreams’ and ‘Rhiannon’) she did mix it up with ‘Sara,’ and another Tusk song previously never played live – ‘Storms’ – which was beautifully arranged, minus the fact I think she belted out a bit much during some of the performance. Nicks also took over vocals for C. McVie on two of her songs, ‘Don’t Stop’ (which was always a duet with Buckingham) and ‘Say You Love Me’ (which was turned into a duet with Buckingham.) The former song I had a hard time keeping a straight face to, Nicks having preformed this song since 1977, and still has a hard time remembering the lyrics, plus it’s one of the most sing-along Fleetwood Mac songs to date (i.e.: easy lyrics.) Yet, I do think she and Buckingham did a fantastic job with ‘Say,’ while not making up for C. McVie’s absence, fills a void that is there due to her being missing.
The arena did turn into the ‘Buckingham-Nicks Show’ temporarily, during three songs. ‘Landslide’ was done as it has been since 97, and yet, I didn’t feel the magic that I did after hearing the first recording. ‘Never Going Back Again’ was essentially ruined by Nicks’ vocals at the end chorus, where Buckingham can stand and shine on his own. ‘Silver Springs’ was a highlight of the night for me. The raw emotion that was first unleashed (no pun intended) in 1997 via The Dance was once again at the forefront as the closing song, and the band could not have picked a better song to end the night.
While the set list was safe, Fleetwood Mac did an above average job on a ‘hits tour’ without their major hit-maker. The band was as lively as they were as 30 year olds [all now between the ages of 59 and 64], and they all could outplay and outlast musicians half their ages. Of course one can sense some fan tension between the Chiffon-heads [Nicks’ fan club] and Buckingham’s fans [who have no humorous nickname], and my side would have to be Buckingham’s. While Nicks is probably the best songwriter of the last 50 years, she has no musicianship, except her stage presence. Buckingham has both of those qualities, he is a guitar player in the realm of Hendrix, and he has the ability to interact with the audience and put on just as good of a live show as Nicks. Yet, the rhythm section is really what holds Fleetwood Mac together, and McVie and Fleetwood are definitely the heart and soul of this band. Buckingham alluded to the fact that the Mac may put out an album after this tour is complete, and I honestly think a new CD by the Mac could be even better than Say You Will, or even as grand as the experimental Tusk. This tour solidified the fact that they aren’t just a washed up 70s/80s band lacking talent, and that the Mac is really back!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
I know!! We can't publish weekly....you know what?
I'll prepost here

Here you go!!
Thank you. That was a great read. My experience with World Turning was a little the reverse of yours. When I first heard the digital vocals used on Lindsey's tour, I liked it a lot more than I had during the SYW tour. Plus, the theme of the song seemed to fit in with the message of Lindsey's newer solo songs. So, it seems to me the song had a rebirth.

Now, back with the Mac, I'm not enjoying it as much as I once did, but I'm thrilled that Mick dispensed with the vest drum and that they kept the electronic vocals. I like that "sampling" effect. Of course, my favorite is the memory of Chris and Lindsey singing at the mic together all those years ago. That version won't be beat.

I think your review is great. The quality of your school paper must be a lot better than mine was, way back when.

Michele
Old 03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

EXCELLENT REVIEW CHRISLIT18!
Hope you get an A+ on this.