User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-29-2002, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Wanna be startin something...*wink*

Okee, I'm in a wierd mood, so here's a question that could spark debate for years to come and cause friendships to break up and lives to be shattered forever......or not.

Is Lindsey Buckingham YOUR fave guitarist EVER....or not and why or why not?

He IS my favorite guitarist EVER because....no other guitarist has made me cry while listening to/watching him play. When I listen to Lindsey play, I FEEL the music, I'm not just listening to him, I'm EXPERIENCING him. The sounds that his guitar makes AMAZES me all the time! I listen to others, but they just don't HIT me like LB does. I like listening to Joe Perry's riff from "Walk This Way" and I like Mark Knopfler's "Sultans of Swing" guitaring, but it's more of "Wow, they rock!" rather than "WOW, THEY ROCK!!!!!!!!"

I'm not that old (26...and a half. LOL) but I grew up with my ears surgically attached to the radio (and my eyes to the TV..HAHA) so I'm very familiar with ALL types of music and pop culture. I figure myself to be a pretty well-rounded person by keeping an open mind to all genres of music, so therefore, I've heard ALOT of different artists screaming out in pain in their songs, being happy, sad, angry, funny...etc...every type of emotion out there, but FEW have touched my soul the way Lindsey has. I am a type of person who carries that love-it-one-minute/don't-remember-it the-next kind of reasoning, so I never realized LB would still be in my CD player almost 2 years after I initially heard him in National Lampoons...sparking a love affair that I believe will change my life (already has) forever. I am sorta picky (in fact ALOT picky) with everything...music, movies, artists, food...the list goes on, so my VERY DISCERNING ear is sensitive to stuff. I listen to artists that not very many do...in the general public, I mean. Growing up with a dad that listens to country and oldies and a mom that listened to pretty much anything except rap helped me hone my music love skills.

When I was 12, it was ALL ABOUT New Kids on the Block, a group that was loved by trillions of fans and at the same time, hated by alot of people. I went through so much trauma and dealt with the "hatas" everyday. It was hard, but I stuck with them, never stopped liking them, and in fact, still own ALL the crap that my mom bought me. LOL You may be asking...what's your point? Well, I was VERY passionate about them, loved them with every fiber of my being, even tho they didn't write music (at first). They had/have talent, but not the kind that most people consider real talent...the singing/songwriting talent. They later wrote songs, but lost steam when Nirvana took over the radio. Anywho, I still love em to this day, still occasionally listen to their albums and it brings back good (and some bad LOL) memories. Now, 10 years from now, will I be listening to Fleetwood Mac...well, I still love The Monkees, who I have loved since I was about 10, so there's hope for FM yet. LOL

MY MAJOR POINT is this...my tastes for music have changed a bit, as I've grown older, but overall, I still love what touches me, what speaks to my soul and my life experiences. Lindsey wrote the song "I'm So Afraid"..my fave song ever, and I love it because it describes me and my life. "I never change, I never will...I'm so afraid, the way I feel..." THAT IS ME!! I may change some things about myself as I "grow up", but I will NEVER change my principles and core center of my morals. I'm afraid EVERYDAY about lots of things, will I still have a job next week, will Iraq or Osama bomb us...again, will my parents live much longer, when will I die, etc...those questions come into my brain everyday, BUT my faith in God helps me get over being frightened of the bad...but it's STILL a human emotion....to be afraid. Even the heroes get scared....

If you made it through my crappy, WAY TOO LONG post, give yourself a pat on the back and go get a drink and pee....sorry to have kept your bladder waiting....but I felt like I needed to share a bit. Thank you and goodnight.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's all about Lindsey for me. F*ck the rest.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:56 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Talkin', squealin', lyin'...

Lindsey, Hank Marvin and Dave Gilmour are my fav. 3 guitarists....I've never been able to have a "single favourite".

Regardless of how technically abled they may or may not be compared to others, what they play moves and speaks to me like no other musician. Anyway, what's the point of playing a gazillion notes in 1 bar if it's less moving than a continent?

Lindsey's guitaring talents lie not just in playing the instrument, but also in his guitar-tone-production abilities both on and off stage: his strong use of echoes, delays and reverb (funnily enough the 3 effects also famously associated with my other 2 fav. guitarists!) combined with his unique style/tone is pure pleasure to listen to.

P.S. Other 7 very worthy mentions, IMVHO: Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Slash, Peter Green, Prince, Eddie Van Halen, Django Reinhardt. (Again, nothing to do with how "good" they are or aren't, I simply love their sound! )

Last edited by seteca; 12-30-2002 at 07:18 PM..
Old 12-30-2002, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nope, not Lindsey for me either...not even top 3 of FLEETWOOD MAC guitarists. Doesn't mean I don't like him, just the others appeal to me more.

Just listing ROCK guitarists (or guys who started as rockers)...don't even get me started with country or jazz (or blues MASTERS) guys:

Peter Green
Eric Clapton
Rick Vito
Duane Allman
George Harrison
Billy Gibbons
Lowell George
Jimi Hendrix
Danny Kirwan
Dickey Betts
Todd Sharp
Mark Knopfler
Bonnie Raitt
Carlos Santana
Bob Welch
Dave Mason

Lindsey's down here somewhere
Old 12-31-2002, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Lindsey is my favourite guitarist, partly because I've had to listen to him(and FM)for almost all of my life. I have to admit, that when I first became a fan in June 2002, I was really obssesed with songs written by Lindsey. It was like that for months.(still is, but it's not as bad, now)

Last edited by Mac Fan; 01-01-2003 at 05:49 AM..
Old 12-31-2002, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart LINDSEY is my favorite Guitar Man!!!

Hi! Iam not a blues fan so my knowledge is limited!!!
However...within these limitations...in my VERY OWN
OPINION...Lindsey BucKINGham IS The Best Guitarist!

Please allow me my private musical indulgence! Lindsey's
brilliance on Guitar just wraps around my Heart and Soul!!!

A smart man said " Lindsey BucKINGham is a sophisticated
musical artisan of fantastic music ability who pleases the....
Above Average FAN!"!!! I concur...130%...Bye to 2002! Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 01-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Gee...

I wonder if Sky likes Lindsey.......nah. LOL

I love some of the guitarists you all listed...and I'm always open to hearing stuff I've never heard before (thanks seteca for the Shadows hook-up! I'm reading Mick's book and he mentions them.) I'm not a guitarist know-it-all, but I respect anyone who can play such a KICK-AS* instrument!!!!

Some of my other faves:

Danny Kirwan
Peter Green
Mark Knopfler
Eddie Van Halen
John Mayer (Can't wait for his next album!)
Bob Hartman (Petra's...Christian rock band....guitar legend)
Old 01-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

I really like Buckingham's guitar abilities and I feel he is a complete musician. He is very good with the guitar, he writes, arranges, mixes, sings, produces, you name it he can do it so I would say he is one of the most complete artists there is, not just a guitarist.

Personally my favorite is Mark Knopfler, a man that can play blues, rock, jazz, country or anything else. Again he is a writer, arranges music, plays, sings, composes scores and many other things. I don't think he is much better than Lindsey, but I have heard Knopfler play some of the most amazing electric fingerpicking I have heard, some of it IMHO is better technically than Lindsey. But that is technically, emotionally it's :-

Peter Green and Eric Clapton, men that can say in one note something many guitarists can't express with an entire solo. Nobody can bend a note like these guys. Plus they can turn on the flash side if they want to as well but choose not to lately.

As far as fluidity of playing is concerned it has to be Slash, Stoke On Trent's finest export (yes, more so than Robbie Williams, don't get me started on that egomaniac). Slash can play smoothly with speed and again he blows my mind like the others.

There are so many, far too many to list here, guitarists that are very good but the men above are my favorites.

If you take Buckingham's songwriting, voice and style, Knopfler's fingerpicking, Peter Green's tone, Eric's showmanship and Slash's fluid ability then you get the perfect guitar playing artist, in my opinion, of course.

Old 01-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey is my favorite guitarist for such songs like "big love" "i'm so afraid" and "this is the time".

To disrepect no one. For male guitarist he is great, but I tend to think the women guitarist are better for some reason.

But when stacked up against like "Bonnie Raitt", which i would place near my top picks. Because even though she is pushin in years her playing only gets stronger.

And we can't forget Nancy Wilson of Heart!!
Old 01-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

Peter Green
Eric Clapton
Rick Vito
Duane Allman
George Harrison
Billy Gibbons
Lowell George
Jimi Hendrix
Danny Kirwan
Dickey Betts
Todd Sharp
Mark Knopfler
Bonnie Raitt
Carlos Santana
Bob Welch
Dave Mason

Lindsey's down here somewhere
Oh Chili, don't do this to me. You're gonna put Dave Mason in from of Lindsey?? Come on now, have you heard either of the two live Time shows floating around? He uses the same riff several times in different songs...and couldn't even do that in time. You absolutely cannot tell me he's above Lindsey. Well, you can, because it's all personal preference, but I have trouble swallowing that.
-Brian
Old 01-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

Location: Minnesota....but really ANYWHERE but HERE.....because it SUCKS!!!
Wink Sorry Christy....

But...in the words of my fav person on t.v. A WORLD OF NO!.... Here's my list:

1. Hendrix
2. Clapton
3. Page
...............PERIOD.

...BTW.....how are YOU?!?! I've been a busy little beaver, elsewhere....you understand

~alex~*

"Bondage looks good on ya B, the outfits all wrong, but hey"~Faith in 'Enemies'

"Hello, GAY now"~ Willow in 'Triangle'
Old 01-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
originally posted by bjk3047
You're gonna put Dave Mason in from of Lindsey??
Uh...yeah...and I did. This shouldn't surprise you unless you're vastly unfamiliar with Dave Mason's previous and subsequent work to his tenure in Fleetwood Mac. Yes, I've got both live videos from 94/95...his playing is far less than superb on them...don't judge his talent & ability on what was obviously the lowest point in his career (however the verocity of his playing on "Oh Well" was a BIG surprise).

Take a listen to his "Live At Sunrise" album (his recent live album), his first solo album "Alone Together", his 1976 album "Split Coconut", his live album "Certified Live" from 1977, his playing is excellent throughout.

Anyone who can hold his own with Steve Winwood (in Traffic), Eric Clapton (in Derek & The Dominoes), Jimi Hendrix (Dave plays the counterpoint acoustic rhythm on "All Along The Watchtower" on the Electric Ladyland album; and electrically on the live "Experience" film soundtrack), is ok by me. Plus, I've seen Dave in concert about 6 or 7 times, so first hand viewing/listening is where I make the judgement I do.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Wanna be startin something...*wink*

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Er... no. Many of the above mentioned are my favorites. And out of the Fleetwood Mac players there's always Peter Green, Danny Kirwan and Rick Vito.

Song of the moment - Strong Enough (Sheryl Crow w/ Stevie)
Old 01-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy Uh....

No, He isnt, Though he is in my top 25 list...

My top 5:
1-Brian May (Tone! Tone! Tone!)
2-David Gilmour (The Pink Floyd concert boots are just "sick"..."Sick" as in doesnt Dave EVER have a bad night!!!!)
3-Gary Moore (The "apprentice" of Peter Green...)
4-Steve Vai (Is he even from this planet???)
5-Stevie Ray Vaughan ("Riviera Paradise"...Nuff Said)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Wanna be startin something...*wink*

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Your favorite doesn't necessarily mean the guitarist you think is the most technically accomplished or innovative or important to the art or even influential. It just means your favorite. I'd say Lindsey is my favorite guitarist in rock music. He's probably about average on the scale of rock guitarists, with a few tricks up his sleeve, but I respond emotionally to his riffs, the way I do to Hendrix. His style connects with me. In fact, it sort of *is* me.