The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default People Magazine quotes from Lindsey's CBS Sunday Morning Buckingham interview

Lindsey Buckingham is claiming that Stevie Nicks had a large part in his exit from Fleetwood Mac.

In his first television interview since being fired in the spring, Buckingham, 69, opened up about why he believes he was ousted from the band decades after he was asked to join in December 1974.

“It appeared to me that she was looking for something to hang on me, in order to instigate some kind of coup,” he tells CBS This Morning: Saturday, adding that he first learned of the trouble when the band’s manager Irving Azoff called him and told him that Nicks was furious at him.

“Irving told me – a couple of days later – that she’d given the band an ultimatum, and either I had to go or she was going to go,” he recalls.

Buckingham first joined the band in December 1974 at the request of drummer Mick Fleetwood. “Mick actually asked me to join first,” Buckingham told PEOPLE last year. “And I said, ‘Well, you’ve gotta take my girlfriend too.’”

The girlfriend in question was Nicks, who became the band’s bewitching front-woman and creative powerhouse during the group’s mid-’70s glory years. Nicks and Buckingham’s tumultuous personal life inspired what would become the band’s most famous album, the chart-busting Rumours, which remains one of the best-selling albums of all time. Buckingham previously told a similar anecdote about his conversation with Azoff. In October, the musician quoted a message from Azoff, telling Rolling Stone: “Stevie never wants to be on a stage with you again.” In the same interview, Buckingham said Azoff told him that he was “getting ousted” and that Nicks gave the rest of the band “an ultimatum: Either you go or she’s gonna go.”

Also during the CBS sit-down, Buckingham says he has yet to talk directly with anyone in Fleetwood Mac. “I actually have not spoken to any of the band. And it’s been almost a year now,” he shares. “Nobody. I have had, only in the last couple of weeks, I have gotten an email, which I expected to get, from Christine McVie,” he says of the songwriter and keyboardist, with whom he released an album in 2017.

Buckingham’s first TV interview comes nearly two months after he leveled a lawsuit against his former Fleetwood Mac bandmates following his sudden dismissal. In the suit, filed in October in Los Angeles Superior Court and obtained by PEOPLE, the guitarist accused his ex-band of seven offenses, including breach of fiduciary duty, breach of oral contract and intentional interference with prospective economic advantage.

In the suit, Buckingham claims that he had signed on for a 2-year run of 60 shows with Fleetwood Mac, for a fee of $14 million. However, he says he requested that they postpone their 2018 dates three months to allow him to tour with his solo band; a request that was apparently refused.

Buckingham explains he rescheduled his solo trek, only to be notified of his termination from the group shortly before the tour announcement.

“Fleetwood Mac strongly disputes the allegations presented in Mr. Buckingham’s complaint and looks forward to their day in court,” the band’s publicist Kristen Foster said in a statement to PEOPLE at the time. “The band has retained Dan Petrocelli to handle the case.”

Buckingham’s spot would ultimately be filled by Mike Campbell — formerly of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers — and Neil Finn.

Buckingham’s interview with CBS This Morning: Saturday airs Dec. 8.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...sdG?li=BBnb7Kz

Last edited by vivfox; 12-07-2018 at 08:45 PM..
Old 12-07-2018, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It sounds like this interview will be worth a watch!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry

Social media will be very active tomorrow once this airs. I still maintain the reason she didn't want to make a new album had nothing to do with him but the fact that while he and Christine had new material she had nothing to offer but likely some old demos. So she declined to participate and when they released the music without her she was angry and decided to get even. If he had truly done something awful they should have said it from day 1 and they never did. If you have to fire him behind Christine's back and essentially convince her and John to go along with it then you know you are doing something shady.

Sad to say I have lost so much respect for them.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This interview was front page on the msn home page this morning. Its still amazing the power one individual has in the band.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This interview was front page on the msn home page this morning. Its still amazing the power one individual has in the band.
I am thrilled he's able to fully tell his story.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This interview was front page on the msn home page this morning.
That's exactly where I pulled it from last night.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just watched the CBS interview. I just felt sad for Lindsey watching this. The lawsuit is settled and he didn't say for how much, but he said it was enough.

According to him, it was just as has been speculated, Stevie orchestrated it all without cause and the others went along with it to keep Fleetwood Mac going.

I was struck by how Lindsey said Irving Azoff screamed at him on the phone saying "you've done it this time". Not sure what that meant or maybe it shows the Irving is like the rest, all about the money. Also Christine reached out in an email saying she had nothing to do with it and thinks deep in her heart that Stevie is sorry. I don't know if I buy that one.

Lindsey also did two songs, Turn it out and Big Love showing that even though Mike Campbell is a great guitarist, he doesn't have the stage presence of Lindsey Buckingham.

So thanks a lot Stevie for ruining the band I have loved for 43 years over pettiness.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 12-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QhCDc_2Ml8
Old 12-08-2018, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

After watching this interview all I have left to say is...He is one class act!
Old 12-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was so impressed by him. I agree, he is very classy.

What a great interview.

I still feel so very sad for him though. He seems ok, but admitted that for a few months he was very hurt.

Stevie/Mick, you guys blew it big time. No respect at all for either of you.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Fantastic interview! It even brought a tear to my eyes. I love this man.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thank you so much for posting a link to this interview; otherwise I'd have totally missed it.

It's good to know that -
1. The lawsuit has been settled and that Lindsey says "it's enough".
2. Christine reached out to him.

I look forward to Lindsey's next work. And, if Christine can join him again, even better!
Old 12-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroxman View Post
Thank you so much for posting a link to this interview; otherwise I'd have totally missed it.
I'm sorry I wrote Sunday instead of Saturday but once we post an article we can change all the words within it but not the title of the topic. I shudder to think of all the people I misdirected into thinking it's going to air tomorrow. Glad we have Ledgie's who record and post things for all of us to enjoy in case we do miss anything.It also spares me from having books and erasures thrown at my head. LOL
Old 12-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Its like a train wreck that keeps going. Stevie orchestrated a coup but Lindsey does not know why. IMHO it all started with the Buckingham McVie album when the rest of the band recorded without her.
Dear Christine: Its a nice gesture to email Lindsey and say you had nothing to do with it. However, YES, YOU could have stopped it. Everyone looked at dollar signs instead of having integrity and the legacy of the band.
Good grief, Stevie has regret? She feels the cover band mentality of this band now.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Its like a train wreck that keeps going. Dear Christine: Its a nice gesture to email Lindsey and say you had nothing to do with it. However, YES, YOU could have stopped it.
I felt this same way for most of the year until another Ledgie mentioned that Chris might have been contractually obliged to remain in Fleetwood Mac after Lindsey told her you can't just come and go. So maybe, just maybe Christine gets to remain blameless in all of this.