The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question What Lindsey DVD should I get for my friend?

My first thread on the Lindsey forum!

Anyway, I got this friend/co-worker who is a Fleetwood Mac fan and particularly Lindsey's guitar playing. We had a "Fleetwood Mac" party Saturday night, and he didn't realize that Lindsey plays without a pic. We watched the FM rosebud DVD, the Dance and other stuff.

He has a birthday on the 28th so I want to get him something. I was thinking either Live at Bass Hall or Songs from the Small Machine, or perhaps something else. His girlfriend is a FM fan, more on the Stevie side, so maybe perhaps getting FM Live in Boston. He is mesmorized by Lindsey's finger-picking style, so a DVD/blue-ray that shows off Lindsey's guitar playing skills would be awesome!

I thought I'd consult with the Lindsey experts on what to get him.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
My first thread on the Lindsey forum!

Anyway, I got this friend/co-worker who is a Fleetwood Mac fan and particularly Lindsey's guitar playing. We had a "Fleetwood Mac" party Saturday night, and he didn't realize that Lindsey plays without a pic. We watched the FM rosebud DVD, the Dance and other stuff.

He has a birthday on the 28th so I want to get him something. I was thinking either Live at Bass Hall or Songs from the Small Machine, or perhaps something else. His girlfriend is a FM fan, more on the Stevie side, so maybe perhaps getting FM Live in Boston. He is mesmorized by Lindsey's finger-picking style, so a DVD/blue-ray that shows off Lindsey's guitar playing skills would be awesome!

I thought I'd consult with the Lindsey experts on what to get him.

Thanks!
for DVD, my vote would be Songs from the Small Machine.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, my vote goes to the Soundstage DVD. Even when it's like Live In Boston, but with a small band, your friend and his girlfriend will see an amazing performance. There are good versions of Trouble and Murrow, the final with Go Your Own Way, and, two songs he sings with Stevie, Never Going Back Again and Say Goodbye. I think that if his girlfriend likes Stevie, and he likes Lindsey, they could share a good moment together watching at that special part of the concert. And yes, he will see that Lindsey doesn't play with a pic...
Regards!!
Mark.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Based on what you've said, Soundstage.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Ledgie

I'm with Elle, I realize that Stevie makes a guest appearance on Soundstage, but go with Songs From The Small Machine... that entire concert is remarkable.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBigLove View Post
I'm with Elle, I realize that Stevie makes a guest appearance on Soundstage, but go with Songs From The Small Machine... that entire concert is remarkable.
nice to have guitarist's opinion.

MSB, here are also some threads from the past discussing LB's live releases to give you more context and info about each, to hopefully help you make your decision based on what you know about your friend (and whether you are buying a gift that's more for him or also his gf):

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...highlight=live
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=51232

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the advice so far. His girlfriend is another co-worker/friend. They are around each other a lot as they live together too. They identified with Lindsey and Stevie very much!

Still deciding though I'm thinking I want something she will enjoy too. So maybe Live in Boston or Lindsey's soundstage since Stevie is there for two songs. Might try to get a DVD/CD combo, too.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for the advice so far. His girlfriend is another co-worker/friend. They are around each other a lot as they live together too. They identified with Lindsey and Stevie very much!

Still deciding though I'm thinking I want something she will enjoy too. So maybe Live in Boston or Lindsey's soundstage since Stevie is there for two songs. Might try to get a DVD/CD combo, too.
if he wants to see a lot of fingerpicking probably better to go for Lindsey solo. with FM he does much more chords playing (however i do love LiB).

for a FM fan i think the best variety of solo tunes is by far on Small Machine. however, Soundstage too is very interesting, and it has very different songs from your regular FM setlist (although many ended up on SYW)... and if gf has shipper affinities she will love the SN parts. also if they are more into visual / how people look, LB was gorgeous during LiB / Soundstage period. however if they care for different songs and they already have the Dance, LiB has a very overlapping setlist.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

He has a birthday on the 28th so I want to get him something. I was thinking either Live at Bass Hall ...

Think no further. Live At Bass Hall is his masterpiece.
He's at the top of his game. Plus it's before he started
looking similar to Art Garfunkel.

Question answered. Next?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1) Live in Boston
2) Soundstage or Small Machine (tie)
3) Bass Hall

Live in Boston is what turned me onto Lindsey, and that was based on his playing. He does more than power chords on there! NGBA, Big Love, Landlide, Gypsy, Come, ISA, SHN, Say Goodbye, World Turning, Don't Stop, GYOW...there's a LOT to love, both electric, and acoustic. His Stevie loving girlfriend will watch with him any time too. I just don't see how you can go wrong with this one.

Bass Hall, and Small Machine are both thechnically great, but both are flat, IMO. I was at SM taping, and the audience was so much more "there" than it seems on the DVD. Bass Hall he seems kind of sad/down to me, so I don't care for it too much. I also think Big Love is WAY better on Soundatge and Live in Boston, even though the Bass Hall version is the one people refer to and share the most (on Twitter, etc.).

Soundatge is the most upbeat and fun, though other than a few songs that he does really well, I think it's not technically as good. I love it because it's eye candy, I love seeing him smile, and for those handful of songs, and because it has Red Rover and Murrow. GYOW is not good on there at all, IMO. And again, of course, the Stevie moments will be appreciated by the gf.

Small Machine is great for any guitar player, and the SWS songs especially are impressive, but I just don't find it as enjoyable from an overall concert standpoint, even though, as I said, I was at that concert, and really enjoyed it, as well as the tour that followed. I just don't think the DVD captures the ambience. ISA on there is incredible though, and I can watch it on repeat all day long. Same wwith In Our Own Time. I also enjoy SHN and GYOW, as well as the rest of the SWS songs. I LOVE the CD , once I get past the first 4 acoustic songs, but the DVD just doesn't do it for me.

I should also add, that besides his skills on all the songs on LIB, what I was really impressed with, was his ability to jump from Come to Gypsy, Big Love to Landslide, etc. It just really shows his versatility. It also showcases his personality/stage presence.

Last edited by Lindsfan; 02-15-2014 at 04:52 PM..
Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Its seems like most of these would make very good choices. I'm leaning towards Songs from the Small Machine or Live in Boston. "Songs..." is more current, plus I can get the DVD/CD combo for $17 on amazon. LIB would be my second pick. I need to find what Stevie songs his girlfiend likes. I know Silver Springs is one of her favorites.

Still deciding though! His birthday ain't until the 28th so I still got some time to order.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow Update!

Thanks everybody for your much needed advice. After careful consideration, I bought him Songs from the Small Machine, the CD/DVD combo. He got it in the mail Thursday. His girlfriend said he was jumping up and down excited! They're visiting his mother this weekend for his birthday and she too is a Fleetwood Mac fan, so they are going to enjoy it together.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks everybody for your much needed advice. After careful consideration, I bought him Songs from the Small Machine, the CD/DVD combo. He got it in the mail Thursday. His girlfriend said he was jumping up and down excited! They're visiting his mother this weekend for his birthday and she too is a Fleetwood Mac fan, so they are going to enjoy it together.
cool! hopefully they'll all have fun together watching it!