Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Paper Doll

This is my first time posting in this forum, but Paper Doll came on on the CD I was listening to today, and I was busy so I didnt hit next like I usually do, I really dug it. What do you guys think of it?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is my first time posting in this forum
Yay! Bring some coffee -- it's kinda quiet over here these days. Wish I could have been here when it was livelier!

As for Paper Doll -- it's Stevie's lyrics with music by Rick and his friend, the late John Herron, right? As much as I appreciate most of Rick's contributions to FM, this isn't one of my favorites. I think the lyrics are clever and fun, but the musical arrangement is just a bit too boppy for me. Never really figured out why it was on the 25 Yrs Box Set.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm thinkin about going out and buying Behind the Mask and Time.
I know critics said it sucked, but im thinkin i wanna listen to them just to say I have
Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You should give them a try.

Only, you have to listen to them with an open mind. They aren't from the Rumours era band so don't expect the music to be all that similar.

Personally, I really like both albums and have become a big fan of both Billy Burnette and Bekka Bramlett as a result.

As for the song "Paper Doll," eh, it's okay. I'm not crazy about the music or the lyrics, but it's passable.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Senior Ledgie

Paper Doll was an adjustment for me. It's not that I didn't like it, it was just different. Way different. But after a few more plays, I came to like the song. It's not a fave; but I don't skip it when it plays.

BTM is a nice album. I got the CD that has the CGI stuff embedded into it that required a special player to view the extra features such as animations/pics of the band while the lyrics displayed. Anyhoo, the songs, imo, are good. I know alot of fans don't care for it much; but I like it a lot.

I don't have the Time album; but the couple of songs I do have from it are pretty good, too.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristochango View Post
This is my first time posting in this forum, but Paper Doll came on on the CD I was listening to today, and I was busy so I didnt hit next like I usually do, I really dug it. What do you guys think of it?
Like it very much. I recall that when it came out with the video full of clips from FM's past, it was like a blow to the stomach. I was overwhelmed with nostalgia then and I still have great fondness for its rollicking sound and wry words today.

Michele
Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved paper doll even before songs like Sara and gypsy, cause it was on the very best of album my parents bought me ages ago. I just think its so catchy and upbeat, plus i love the lyrics like "you like a man with a future you like a woman with a passstt!!.."
Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedKiwi View Post
I loved paper doll even before songs like Sara and gypsy
Cheyne... tsk tsk. Ahh, to be young
Old 12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVED "Paper Doll" when it first came out, and I love it now....kind of edgy, and very different for Stevie!
As for BEHIND THE MASK and TIME......DEFINITELY pick up BTM....very good album!
I would try to listen to TIME first....very choppy album that was weak 15 years ago, and one that certainly has not stood the test of time. You can definitely tell this was an album that was not done as a group (particularly Christine's songs!)....the harmonies ~ and harmony! ~ just aren't there! (Yeah, I know "harmony" isn't a word that's usually associated with Fleetwood Mac, but even dissonant harmony is better than none at all!)
Old 12-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Paper Doll is a fun and quirky collaboration between Stevie and Rick. It was actually released as a single, but I never heard it on the radio. It's one of those singles that gets conveniently omitted official singles lists.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Over the past 18 years (YIKES!! Has it REALLY been that long already?), "Paper Doll" has definitely grown on me. Didn't like it at all when the Chain box first was released, but now, compared to other of La Nicks' tunes of the era, it's one of my faves. (why they decided to release "No Questions Asked" over "Paper Doll" to begin with, still boggles the mind...unless the released version of "Paper Doll" was SEVERELY improved for inclusion on the box set than any version that was around in '88 when the Greatest Hits was being compiled.)
Old 01-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Over the past 18 years (YIKES!! Has it REALLY been that long already?), "Paper Doll" has definitely grown on me. Didn't like it at all when the Chain box first was released, but now, compared to other of La Nicks' tunes of the era, it's one of my faves. (why they decided to release "No Questions Asked" over "Paper Doll" to begin with, still boggles the mind...unless the released version of "Paper Doll" was SEVERELY improved for inclusion on the box set than any version that was around in '88 when the Greatest Hits was being compiled.)
I see it totally differently. I LOVED "Paper Doll" when I first heard it. I thought it was fun and catchy at the time (circa 1998 when I first got the set). Nowadays it's just okay/borderline annoying. Whereas I've always loved "No Questions Asked."
Old 01-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Ledgie

I really love Paper Doll!! Oh--I'll admit it, I love everything Stevie does!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG!!! her worst song..the lyrics r rediculous....her vocals??? wow!! i guess to each their own...im glad ppl like it....but i cannot bear to listen to 1 note of this clanging mess...sorry
Old 01-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Paper Doll...a big plus in my book. I love that song. "you prefer to be just a little bit in and out of love with me..." I love that line. It reminds me of me and someone else I know. Has there ever been a demo for this song? And if so could someone post it? When did Stevie write this song anyway? Also, was there ever a music video for it?