Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mick Interview: Grammy Nom, band history, etc

....plus yet another misspelling of 'Lindsey'...............

http://www.examiner.com/x-30199-Rock...-Grammy-Awards

Grammy Nominated Mick Fleetwood releases new DVD to coincide to with 52nd Annual Grammy Awards

By Phyllis Pollack

In the wake of his Grammy nomination in the category of Best Traditional Blues for his album Blue Again, Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood, has just released a DVD counterpart to his Grammy nominated album. Fleetwood’s DVD, shares the same name as his Grammy nominated album, and features the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band playing all of the songs heard on the band’s Grammy nominated album Blue Again album, also live in concert. The DVD, just made available in The States, contains six more tracks than his Grammy nominated album. The concert DVD was set for distribution to begin in The States this week, which climaxes with the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday, January 31, 2010.

Fleetwood told Examiner.com, “The DVD just came out. We made it in England on a tour we did about a year ago, and a company decided to release it, and we’re very happy it’s out, and I have to say it’s really good. (Laughs.) If you like blues, you’ll like the DVD.”

Fleetwood also commented, “As far as my band, Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, I was on tour with Fleetwood Mac in Australia recently, before Christmas and we had made an album, and it was really an album that represents my early musical legacy as a blues player, and Rick Vito, who was with me in Fleetwood Mac during the ‘80’s, is a fantastic partner and blues guitar player, and Mark Johnstone on keyboards, and Lenny Castellanos is on bass. A straightforward all blues band, we made this record some time ago, and it (the album) was not released here in The States until literally sort of very recently. The DVD came out (abroad) at the same time, which is almost today, or something crazy, and anyhow, as terms as how I got here is not always a happy thing, but it is a magic thing, and I got a call saying the album was nominated for a Grammy in the blues category, which for us, was really meaningful, and for me, it was a joy, and I am absolutely thrilled, myself, but I am incredibly thrilled for Rick Vito, and Lenny and Mark, as my partners on this album. I’ve had such thrills before with Fleetwood Mac, and for them, it is just something that came out of the blue. And I came out to L.A. to walk the walk, and talk the talk, and everything else they call in with regards to our Grammy nomination.”

The DVD, released just this week to coincide with the Grammy Awards, has an eight-page liner notes booklet, containing a message from Fleetwood, which dedicates the album to his original Fleetwood Mac Band members, Peter Green, John McVie and Jeremy Spencer, and to the legacy of Fleetwood Mac.” With its original line-up, prior to the addition of band members including Stevie Nicks, Lyndsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, Fleetwood Mac was a blues band. Both Blues Again packages return Fleetwood to his blues roots, a far distance musically from the albums that would follow from Fleetwood Mac throughout the following decades.

Much to its credit, as a result of the camera direction and film editing, the Blue Again DVD features a high predominance of close-up shots of the band throughout the entire film. Mick Fleetwood produced the live concert video.

The new DVDs liner notes contain in-depth information about Fleetwood’s history as a blues player, and the history of Fleetwood Mac as a blues band.

The concert was recorded live at the world-renowned Marlowe Theater, The Friars, Canterbury, Kent, England. This is noteworthy, because the Grammy nominated Blue Again album was recorded live at the Sheldon Concert Hall in St. Louis, Missouri in February of 2008. Therefore, the DVD gives viewers a chance to hear the band play at a different venue, and in a different country, England.

In addition to Fleetwood, the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band features guitarist and lead singer Rick Vito, with Lenny Castellanos on bass, and Mark Johnstone on keyboards.

Fleetwood Mac was originally formed in 1967. Ironically, British recording artists during the sixties, including Fleetwood Mac, The Yardbirds, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and many more, embraced and incorporated American blues into their music more than their American counterparts. Many rock fans are not aware that Carlos Santana's hit song "Black Magic Woman" was written by Fleetwood Mac original member Peter Green, and released by Fleetwood Mac in 1968 as a seven-inch single.

From the current line-up of Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks has been nominated in the past for seven Grammy Awards, and with the band Fleetwood Mac, they won the Grammy in the category of Album Of The Year for their Rumors album in 1978. In addition to touring with Fleetwood Mac, Nicks has had several solo tours featuring guitarist Waddy Wachtel.

Mick Fleetwood will present five awards at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards with Colbie Caillat. They will present in the categories of Jazz, Americana, Bluegrass, Folk and Country. Caillat is nominated for five Grammy Awards.

The pre-telecast will be broadcast live on Grammy.com.

Fleetwood Mac’s long history, starting at with the blues, has always been among favorite artists at the Grammy Award, and it remains the same this year, where Fleetwood will also serve as a presenter. The Grammy audience can always expect well-received surprises from any member of Fleetwood Mac at any time, and this year will prove the same.

Fleetwood’s newly available DVD is distributed through 429 Records, a division of the Savoy Label Group (SLG) is part of Columbia Music Entertainment.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red Carpet with Mick Fleetwood and Rick Vito

Old 02-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
....plus yet another misspelling of 'Lindsey'...............
Very creative misspelling too. I admire that. "Lindsay" is getting stale. I like journalists who are more original. He got the "sey" right but then eschewed the traditional "Lind" spelling. I like it when they're original. Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 02-01-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Very creative misspelling too. I admire that. "Lindsay" is getting stale. I like journalists who are more original. He got the "sey" right but then eschewed the traditional "Lind" spelling. I like it when they're original. Michele
Once I saw a concert review where they spelled it 'Lynnsee' and then went on to talk about 'her' vocals!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Red Carpet with Mick Fleetwood and Rick Vito

I didn't expect the whole band to be there (I see Mark and Lenny too).

And I had no idea Mick, Rick, Mark and Lenny and are now called "Fleetwood Mac"!

Thanks for finding that Viv -- I was watching Grammy.com but I missed this.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From Viv's source, here's Colbie with her Dad. She's such a doll.

And again, the interviewer says, "We just talked to Fleetwood Mac...." (see above)