Old 04-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac feeds Charlotte fun, favorite songs

Fleetwood Mac feeds Charlotte fun, favorite songs

By Michael Persinger
charlotteobserver.com
Sunday, Apr. 26, 2009

How great would it be to reach a point in life where you only had to do things that were fun?

Fleetwood Mac, which has been around as a band since the 1960s and as a pop phenomenon since 1975, is there. The band shared the result with a crowd that reached the rafters of Time Warner Cable Arena on Saturday night.

There's no album to promote -- "yet," singer and lead guitarist Lindsey Buckingham told the crowd. That leaves the band's free to pursue its stated mission for the "Unleashed Tour 2009" -- have fun, and play the songs that are fun and important to them.

The show, two hours 25 minutes of non-stop music that paused only momentarily to set up two encores, does, sort of, support an album, though. "Rumours," the 1975 album that made Fleetwood Mac a big part of the pop soundtrack for a generation, is being re-released in conjunction with the tour. Of the 23 songs they played, seven were from that album, which has sold more than 19 million copies worldwide.

crowd sang along with "Rumours" staples such as "The Chain," "Second Hand News" and "Gold Dust Woman" sprinkled throughout the show. But that was not all Fleetwood Mac had to offer.

Buckingham's guitar riffs, Stevie Nicks' still-velvety voice and the bass of John McVie were all solid. British-born band founder Mick Fleetwood's percussion, showed off most impressively during the title track to 1979's "Tusk," kept the energy level high.

The passion for the work they shared was evident, notably in Fleetwood's wild-eyed looks on the big video screens and Buckingham's riff during "I'm So Afraid." But there are signs beyond Fleetwood's white beard and ponytail that they're getting older, too.

Nicks didn't quite hit the original highs in "Sara," and she and Buckingham couldn't generate the on-stage sexual tension they could when they were younger, during what Buckingham acknowledged was a "complex and convoluted emotional history."

Still, Nicks, at 60, can pull off wearing ankle boots with 6-inch heels without looking silly. And there was more than enough in the music to satisfy the big crowd and carry it to the end.

Buckingham's performance of "Big Love" celebrated a song he said explored both who he was and the power of change. It featured a brief embrace with Nicks near the end that drew a cheer. And the three-song span of "Go Your Own Way," "World Turning" (featuring a drum solo by Fleetwood, 61) and "Don't Stop" had the crowd on its feet.

If there's an album to be made at the end of this tour, it'll feature a group with plenty left to celebrate. If Saturday was an indication, it's still worth thinking about tomorrow for Fleetwood Mac fans.

Tomorrow could be fun, too.

Set list from Saturday's show in Charlotte: Monday Morning, The Chain, Dreams, I Know I'm Not Wrong, Gypsy, Go Insane, Rhiannon, Second Hand News, Tusk, Sara, Big Love, Landslide, Never Going Back Again, Storms, Say You Love Me, Gold Dust Woman, Oh Well, I'm So Afraid, Stand Back, Go Your Own Way, (first encore) World Turning, Don't Stop, (second encore) Silver Springs.

Michael Persinger is executive sports editor at The Observer. "Rumours" was one of the first two albums he owned as a kid. "Hotel California" by the Eagles was the other.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, Lindsey and Stevie are now making out after Big Love, huh? Does she run out after he finishes the grunts and then he grabs her and gives her a big hug? What a turn on!

Assuming that Lindsey and Stevie embrace after Sara, how did the writer get those 2 mixed up?

Michele
Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Charlotte Videos/Reviews

OK, I feel a little guilty taking these right in front of Lindsey, but he didn't seem to mind. He actually seemed to pose for them, and later he even let me strum his guitar. So enjoy!! I'll be posting more on YOUTUBE later today! What a show by the way. Stevie and Lindsey were absolutely fantastic. I couldn't have asked for more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESfn6dKlhqM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Cm04TcHFY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVWWWG30kDg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3v3Ua_7rMo
Old 04-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great video. It does look like Lindsey is looking down directly into your lens, especially for Tusk. Thanks for sharing.

Michele
Old 04-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Lindsey's a poser...
THANKGOODNESS!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh Well sounds fantastic! Glad you got so close.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Ledgie

These are GREAT. My husband and I had a great time at the show. My camera sucks... I took a ton of pics and got like 3 decent shots. The video I took was pretty horrible. What kind of camera did you use? The sound on it is great. Thank you so much for sharing these!!! You have any more???

I was trying to keep my expectations low for this show based on some of the previous reviews, but damn they blew me away!!! They sounded so awesome and Stevie didn't seem lethargic and bored at all compared to what I saw on the Say You Will tour in Raleigh. She looked to me like she was enjoying herself and her voice sounded fantastic! Lindsey was amazing and all over the place as usual My favorites were Go Insane and Oh Well, they rocked! Another favorite was Gold Dust Woman and the new Dragoooooon part !!

Well, I believe that love is a living thing
Born into our destinies
From a single moment of inspiration
And as it grows it changes your life forever

Last edited by enchantd1; 04-27-2009 at 08:07 PM..
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Ledgie

Here are the few photos I got. Not very good but ok considering the crappy camera I was using

Mac Charlotte 1

GYOW Stevie 1

Stevie Red Dress

Photobucket

Born into our destinies
Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Ledgie

A Few More I'm new at this.. are they too big?

Lindsey

mac2

Mac 1

Born into our destinies
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantd1 View Post
A Few More I'm new at this.. are they too big?
I like the top one with Lindsey, red and the black. Low lighting, umbra beauty.

Michele
Old 04-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Ledgie

I do too.. that was one of my favorites. He looked so good

Born into our destinies
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Junior Ledgie

WOW, I love those pictures. Here is another round of videos I got posted on YOUTUBE. These aren't quite as good, but here they are. I wasn't nearly as close to Stevie so it was harder to get the lighting right and the focus. I think I have a few more after these I will try to post very soon. Thanks for all the nice comments!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqR1XXpqofI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRy0BRMrfg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0YUi0MYvHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0inXTp3M6Ao
Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default 4/25/09 Charlotte review and setlist

Here's a link to my review and setlist from the April 25, 2009 show in Charlotte. They sounded great! Was my first time seeing them in concert...
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/vib...fleetwood-mac/
Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHahne View Post
Here's a link to my review and setlist from the April 25, 2009 show in Charlotte. They sounded great! Was my first time seeing them in concert...
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/vib...fleetwood-mac/
Thank you! It was a really, really great and positive review! But I agree that it's sad that Chris isn't with them...
Love

Old 04-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice review. Glad you had a good time! I won't describe Monday Morning als a slow start though....

...and please spell Lindsey's name right.

Last edited by shackin'up; 04-28-2009 at 05:41 PM..