The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

According to a health assessment I recently took part in, I have high cholesterol and need to lose at least 35 lbs. It would be easier to do this **** if I lived by myself, but I live with someone who refuses to get up before 7am (I have to be at work by 9am, and it takes 45 minutes to get there), so there's no time for me to work out or do much of anything before I go to work; he also refuses to eat most fruits and vegetables. He also won't go to bed (or let me go to bed) before 11pm, which means I rarely get enough sleep during the week. I'm at my wits end. I need to make some changes, but I feel like I'm being held down.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I'm at my wits end. I need to make some changes, but I feel like I'm being held down.
You are being held down. By yourself.
All of the things you mentioned are things that the person you live with does.
That doesnt mean that YOU have to do them.
YOU can get up before 7AM. YOU can eat all the fruit and vegetables that you want. And why anyone controls when you go to bed is something I don't understand...but it doesn't sound right.

You can make any change that you want to.

rbs
Old 02-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
According to a health assessment I recently took part in, I have high cholesterol and need to lose at least 35 lbs. It would be easier to do this **** if I lived by myself, but I live with someone who refuses to get up before 7am (I have to be at work by 9am, and it takes 45 minutes to get there), so there's no time for me to work out or do much of anything before I go to work; he also refuses to eat most fruits and vegetables. He also won't go to bed (or let me go to bed) before 11pm, which means I rarely get enough sleep during the week. I'm at my wits end. I need to make some changes, but I feel like I'm being held down.
Not to be mean, but why do you and he have to awaken at the same time? If I were you, I'd get up at 5:00, do your workout, and then be back for him by 7:00 if that is what is important to him, your relationship, etc. It's not like he is going to miss you from 5:00 -7:00 if he is sleeping. Who knows, maybe he'll see you getting your game back on and get off his a$$ and joing you

On edit and I swear I mean this in the spirit of friendship - if any swinging dick ever tried to control me like that, they'd be choking on their nuts because that is how high I'd have kicked them Seriously, you have one life my friend and it is your's to live.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 02-11-2007 at 12:35 AM..
Old 02-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Besides what everyone else said, I'm curious - why can't you work out after work, and why do you guys have to eat the same things? Maybe I'm missing something...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Not to be mean, but why do you and he have to awaken at the same time? If I were you, I'd get up at 5:00, do your workout, and then be back for him by 7:00 if that is what is important to him, your relationship, etc. It's not like he is going to miss you from 5:00 -7:00 if he is sleeping. Who knows, maybe he'll see you getting your game back on and get off his a$$ and joing you

On edit and I swear I mean this in the spirit of friendship - if any swinging dick ever tried to control me like that, they'd be choking on their nuts because that is how high I'd have kicked them Seriously, you have one life my friend and it is your's to live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Besides what everyone else said, I'm curious - why can't you work out after work, and why do you guys have to eat the same things? Maybe I'm missing something...
You guys are hilarious. I could get up at 5am or 6am (which would be my preference, really), but he would whine about it a little bit, especially because it would mean I'd have to go bed no later than 9pm - and he doesn't get off work until 8pm and is not ready for bed until 11pm or 12am. And I can't swing that. I mean, I'm late for work every day, and he just doesn't seem to get it.

I'm too exhausted in the evenings to work out. I'm completely drained, and by the time he gets home, I'm really ready to go to bed, but he's not, so he whines about that.

We don't have to eat the same things, but again...he'll whine a little bit when I don't cook something we'll both eat. I suppose I could just do what I have to do and let him get over it, but I can't stand the whining.

I'm thinking that I'm just not cut out to live with another person (or be in a relationship of any kind), but I can't afford to live by myself.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^^

I say give the diet control a try. If he likes you at all, he will understand the situation when you explain it to him that it is a medical thing based on that test. How could he not want you to be healthy? As for the whining, if he is going to whine anyway, then I say you have nothing to lose by doing it your way.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I say give the diet control a try. If he likes you at all, he will understand the situation when you explain it to him that it is a medical thing based on that test. How could he not want you to be healthy?
He does, and he think he will ultimately understand. He's just kind of whiny and dramatic.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . He's just kind of whiny and dramatic.
He'd fit in around here LOL

Old 02-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He'd fit in around here LOL
I hope he never gets curious and decides to take a gander at this place, after I've talked **** about him.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hope he never gets curious and decides to take a gander at this place, after I've talked **** about him.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Slightly back on topic...

I bought some canned blueberries (and some other fruit) in an endeavor to get back to the Super Foods thing. I'm going to get up early and go to the fitness center tomorrow morning, and try to eat a few servings of vegetables and whole grains. I'm going to just have to take this one day at a time. If I try to plan any further ahead than that, I run into problems.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Slightly back on topic...

I bought some canned blueberries (and some other fruit) in an endeavor to get back to the Super Foods thing. I'm going to get up early and go to the fitness center tomorrow morning, and try to eat a few servings of vegetables and whole grains. I'm going to just have to take this one day at a time. If I try to plan any further ahead than that, I run into problems.
Just remember - processed foods are the worst for you and actually inhibit weight loss. By processed I mean anything with enriched flour, high fructose corn syrup, etc. Stay away from those and watch your low fiber carbs and you should be fine.

If you can, buy the vegetables fresh and sautee them in a light spraying of Pam. Then eat lots of chicken (white meat) when you can!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just remember - processed foods are the worst for you and actually inhibit weight loss. By processed I mean anything with enriched flour, high fructose corn syrup, etc. Stay away from those and watch your low fiber carbs and you should be fine.
I do actually read the labels on things now, and I don't by anything with high fructose corn syrup - they put that **** in *everything* - I even (unwittingly) bought some canned tomatoes that had it in there. I'm more careful now. And I only buy whole grain bread, rice, and pasta.

Quote:
If you can, buy the vegetables fresh and sautee them in a light spraying of Pam. Then eat lots of chicken (white meat) when you can!
The problem with me and fresh vegetables is that they rot in my fridge before I have a chance to eat them. They tend to come in such large bunches (especially lettuce and broccoli), and it's hard for one person to eat it all by himself before it goes bad. Of course, I also tend to buy things without really having a plan for how to fix it.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

best advice ever.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . The problem with me and fresh vegetables is that they rot in my fridge before I have a chance to eat them. They tend to come in such large bunches (especially lettuce and broccoli), and it's hard for one person to eat it all by himself before it goes bad. Of course, I also tend to buy things without really having a plan for how to fix it.
If you can as they are more expensive - buy the little containers of the pre cut ones. They are not as good as the fresh ones, but they come in smaller sizes, etc.

Good Luck BTW!!!!!

One other thing - if you can, walk around the block a couple of times before and after you eat lunch and try and do like 25 push ups in your office two or three times a day. It will help raise your metabolism, which makes your body burn the food you eat more efficirently.