Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy Positive about LB ouster from FM?

I am tired. Tired of people yelling at me from all over the intewebs that somehow I need to be positive! positive! positive! about what happened. That I need to be happy about LB being unceremoniously thrown out of FM, band he loves and helped shape into a huge success that it was. Happy that band members are lying about it, something completely transparent to anyone with even half of brain cells, unless one is blinded by some weird celebrity worship.

So what are the positives?
  • He will finally stop wasting his time trying to push FM classic era new music that will never happen.
  • He won’t be wasting his time on endless world tours of greatest hits with the legacy dinosaur band.
  • He will have time to spend on new solo endeavors and interesting collaborations.
  • He can start his own company supporting new interesting artists instead of being stuck with old business models.
  • Hi wife seems to have a very viable and lucrative business model now so he should worry about being the main money-maker anymore – so see previous point.
How about negatives?
  • 2018 was going to be a spectacular year for LB fans. Even more than 2017 was. We were gonna get a new album in march and solo tour (finally! first since 2012!) starting in april. Then in the fall we will be able to see our man with the Mac, hopefully performing some more interesting songs than usually, maybe Carnival Begins and On with the Show. None of this will happen now.
  • First bad news we got was at the beginning of January – new solo album has been pushed back. which means LB’s solo tour has also been pushed back, so that he can arrange a Best Of album instead of already-done new music solo album. Which means his solo tour might be cutting into FM tour dates now. Concurrent Mac and LB solo tours are being considered by LB and the band. While this means no new solo music release in the near future and no spring solo tour, at least we will get solo LB in the fall, in between Mac dates. And maybe – just maybe – this could mean fans on other continents can get some LB solo dates too! So ok, not so bad, we can live with that.
  • First week of February – rumors of LB being ousted from FM started circulating. What? Why? He was so looking forward to this year, and talked so warmly about FM during BuckVie tour dates. Seem impossible that he’d want to leave the band. Maybe they are trying to figure out those intermingled tour dates. But surely they can work it out, these people have been adults for a long long time now. They are old. One last tour and then everyone can go their own favorite way.
  • April 2018 – yes it’s true. FM fired LB. Huh?? That doesn’t even make any sense! Even if he wanted to postpone the tour, how many times has SN done that just in recent years, that we know about?
  • There seems to be some legal wrangling. LB might legally still be in FM, but now on this tour. Legal issues may prevent him from doing anything in the near (or far?) future.
  • He doesn’t seem to have management anymore, after being dropped by FM corporation.
  • LB solo tour promoters have been intertwined with Mac corporation. Any solo stuff that has been worked out seems to be void now.
  • His Atlantic (WB) contract for Best Of might be void now if he’s not with FM anymore. Is Best Of work that he’s done now in jeopardy and will never happen?
  • Is Atlantic still behind LB now when he exists just as non-commercially viable solo artist? Who owns the masters to his new music? Is that now stuck with Atlantic and he has to wrangle it back from them if he wants to release it on his own?
  • The man has been betrayed by people whose lives and livelihoods he saved numerous times and who he considered his family.
  • The man has a tendency to go into hiding instead riding a wave when something like this happens. OOTC took 5 years. GOS don’t even get me started (how many times has he put this band first again??).

So to summarize –
  • We were gonna have a new album, a solo tour and a Mac tour from LB in 2018.
  • As of right now, looks like this year we will have none of these 3 things.
Tell me why again would I need to be positive about this year as far as my LB musical interest goes??

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"